Black Power Shot Gun ?

Guest nrgeek

Ive looked all over the net .. does anyone make a working repro of a double barrel shot gun ? or know where to buy them used .. all I can find non firing or cap firing these are worthless unless your making a movie , or just want something to hang in your cabin for decoration lol

Something about those old percussion shot guns .. maybe it was all the old timers I knew back in the hills of WV as a kid that hunted with them .. I know they are out there .. maybe I will have to wait for the next gun show that comes through my hood

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes an original would be fine .. just dont know where to look, I but an wanted ad on Craigslist .. maybe I should check the antique malls around Chattanooga ?

There's tons on Gunbroker, prices range from high to 'Oh my God, you're kidding!'

BP Shotguns tend to run high in the price range, but you definately get what you pay for. If you're wanting something reliable to hunt with, rather than a wall-hanger, you really want to be looking at Pedersoli or Investarms (Lyman/Cabelas) for factory guns or look into a custom build. The lock quality in the cheaper guns (Newer CVA & Traditions especially) can be poor & it'll turn you off black powder very quickly. It's guns like this that have earned traditional muzzleloaders the 'Click............BANG!' reputation. A good lock is as close to instantaneous as you can get. Almost indiscernable from a centerfire. Half of the problem with buying used, is that a lot of people get it into their head that they want to go the BP route, but don't have the discipline, or possibly the knowledge, to clean their firearm properly. This leads to badly pitted bores, rusty & brittle lock springs, fouling buildup in the flash channels, seized nipples & the belief that muzzleloaders are unreliable. They then get sick of them, never clean them & hock them at pawn shops & gunshows where they are re-sold for a lot more that they're now worth.

Just a tip, if you do find one second hand, be sure to thoroughly check the bore with a bore-light & run a tight cleaning patch down it on the correct jag. You'll be able to feel any pitting, gouges or bulges. Remove the lockplates & check for rust & fouling around ALL the springs, tumbler & bridle. If you feel any kind of bulge in the barrel (The jag will be tight up to the bulge & then loose, then it'll tighten again) walk away. If the lock is corroded, walk away. If the barrel is pitted, you can salvage it, possibly, by lapping, but it may still be junk. Oh and forget taking it to your regular gunsmith. A lot of smiths aren't interested or versed in sidelocks. You'll need to find a good BP smith.

Realistically, to get a good, reliable cap-snapper, you want to be looking at spending $600 minimum. Double that if you want a flinter.

Well I guess I will have prob just have to forget the bp shot gun route then .. but I really want one .. maybe I will come across one one day for a price I am willing to pay. Id much rather have a new one . but for occasional shooting I guess I will just have to get a small caliber rifle to go with my 50 caliber.. and hope I can find a good used one that is worthy of more than wall art someday.

Well I guess I will have prob just have to forget the bp shot gun route then .. but I really want one .. maybe I will come across one one day for a price I am willing to pay. Id much rather have a new one . but for occasional shooting I guess I will just have to get a small caliber rifle to go with my 50 caliber.. and hope I can find a good used one that is worthy of more than wall art someday.

nrgeek,

I have several repro BP shotguns as well as original. PM if interested and what features you'd want and price range; we might find a meeting point.

Are you going to shoot it

?

I have one..A. Richards, Belgium

But it's kinda broke...needs a right side hammer and I'd NEVER shoot it.

if you're wanting a muzzleloader ...I can't help but if you want a double black powder cartrage gin...just about any pawn shop...

Edited by bajabuc

BP shotguns, original civil war and pre civil war era, are easy to find... but you need to know if you can shoot it or not. A lot of them have barrels that were made with a questionable process which can lead to internal rusting -- looks fine inside and out, but comes apart when fired. Most are just for looks. I have a beautiful original one, and you see them at gunshows, esp the big yearly civil war show (if that still happens?). But if you want a shooter, get a replica is my advice, or be very very careful which one you buy.

Well I after much much research .. I at least know what I want now lol .. and a repro is prob what I will end up buying .. I have found out that a Fowler is what I want, or a Smooth Bore Rifle that will accommodate ball or shot and I have only one real option so far and that is to buy a repro in a kit to make anywhere near affordable for me.

But I have found a couple site that yall may or may not know have kits and finished guns http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com

and Muzzleloaders, Supplied By The Possible Shop but someone else here may come along and be looking for same thing

Im still gonna be keeping my eyes out for a used version, as well as a used poor boy .. I like the simple guns best, all the bling of the brass on the french and and english guns where ok .. but the simplicity of the working mans gun I like so much better.

You could do a lot worse than to check out the classified adverts on Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Flintlock Musket Reenactor

There are a lot of fowlers & smooth rifles that show up for sale. You may also want to check Gunbroker for Thompson Center Renegades. There are usually a few on there that have the .56 smoothbore barrel & they're usually priced pretty well :)

What's your budget? PM me if you like. There are several not-too-spendy options available if it's a smoothbored rifle you want.

As a quick aside, just be aware that the 'kits' from Sitting Fox aren't really kits. They are simply a collection of unfinished parts. You'll need to de-seam & polish all the parts, inlet & shape your stock, assemble the lock & triggers etc... quite a bit of skilled gunsmithing is involved. Not trying to put you off, if you've got the skill & experience they're very rewarding to build, but they are definately not for the faint of heart!