Heavy Barrel

robin48

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my experience, I always had heavy barrels so i bought a lightweight 308 and took it to the range to zero it and it was shooting all over the place, I could not figure out what was going on till I realized the barrel was heating up shot after shot to the point it was affecting the point of impact. I had to let it cool after each shot to get it to shoot a decent group. I dont have to do that with my heavy barreled rifles. So I figure for a hunting gun lightweight is fine if your wanting a target/range gun heavy is the way to go.

What are you shooting at, and how far are you carrying the rifle before you shoot?

Either I'm a wimp or some of you never had to carry your Heavy Barrels on a long hike while hunting.

I now use a John Deer Gator or a different rifle. But most likely I'm a wimp.

Is it more accurate?

Most of the time, yes. But are you accurate enough all the time to know the difference?

For Me, unless I'm resting the rifle on something. I can't tell the difference.

I can say the barrel does not heat up as fast. But I rarely shoot fast enough to heat up the barrel.

Ammo is expensive and I don't reload. I make 1 box or shells last a LONG time.

If I want to shoot fast I'll use my 22lr.

I have an AR and still can't seem to make my self pull the trigger fast.

Imagine an AR with only 40 rounds through it.....40 SLOW rounds.

Edited by TnShooter83

It varies from rifle to rifle, but from personal experience, I haven't found heavy barreled rifles to be appreciably more accurate than standard or even featherwieght barrels. They don't heat up as fast, and the extra mass helps keep the gun steady on a bench. If it's going to spend all it's time sitting on a bench, get the heavy barrel. If you're going to do any walking around with the rifle, leave the heavy barrel at the store.

The only heavy barrel I lug through the woods is a .17 HMR for small game (finaly got one earlier this year).

anything else heavy barrel is for bench long distance.

I'll take a lighter barreled, less accurate gun any day, if I'm hunting.

If I'm punching paper for points, either benched or offhand, a heavy barrel would be for me.

A friend of mine shoots a Rem700 .22-250 with a heavy barrel & is constantly bragging on his & it's accuracy. He has a point. It is ridiculously precise way beyond any distance I could shoot it & to be fair, he's a hell of a shot. One of those bast....guys who can & does regularly break clays at 400+ yards.

That said, his Remmy with it's long bull barrel, 6-24x 56 scope & 9-13" bipod weighs a lot. A helluva lot.

Conversely my horrible old Enfield with it's shortened, lightweight barrel, 4-16x42 scope & nothing else is painfully inaccurate past 300yds ( I can probably hit a basketball 5 or 6 times out of 10 at 300)

But, (& it's a very big but) when we're out hunting together, climbing the same hills, walking the same trails & shooting at the same stuff, I can beat his shooting, hands down, 9 times out of ten.

We're both unfit, he smokes & I'm a fat bastard, but after carrying his 21lb monster, compared to me carrying my 10lb Bubba, he is far more winded & less able to bring his rifle to bear with any degree of accuracy.

Just something to bear in mind.