Tactical qustion about this video.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
As I watch this video, with a very well respected instructor, I could not help but think of an alternate method. Sheet rock is concealment not cover. Why no just shoot the bad guy through the wall?

I'm the least-tactical guy on the planet, but what if the bad guy ain't behind the corner? Or maybe granny is behind the corner?

As usual you guys give good advice. Always know what you are shooting at and what is behind your target. When I go through scenarios for my home defense I practice shooting through sheet rock (I don't actually shoot). I don't have children in the house or a grandmother (may she rest in peace). I just want to make sure we all realize that a wall in your house is not cover. If there is no danger of hitting an innocent loved one, don't let a wall get in your way of protecting your life.

As usual you guys give good advice. Always know what you are shooting at and what is behind your target. When I go through scenarios for my home defense I practice shooting through sheet rock (I don't actually shoot). I don't have children in the house or a grandmother (may she rest in peace). I just want to make sure we all realize that a wall in your house is not cover. If there is no danger of hitting an innocent loved one, don't let a wall get in your way of protecting your life.

Identify a threat before engaging it. I guess if you don't have any family in your house it's safe to assume anyone inside your house is a threat, however, just because you would probably be cleared of wrongdoing if it was a bad shoot, you would still have to live with your actions.

Guest bkelm18

A wall isn't bad cover. A wall is not a hollow drywall block. It's got framing, plumbing and electrical, ducting, etc. All of which can alter or diminish the trajectory of a bullet. If you're shooting hollowpoints, any of those would likely expand the hollowpoint and pretty much ruin its effectiveness. I wouldn't start blasting through a wall unless it was absolutely necessary.

A wall isn't bad cover. A wall is not a hollow drywall block. It's got framing, plumbing and electrical, ducting, etc. All of which can alter or diminish the trajectory of a bullet.

Interior walls suck as cover.

The latest "inside" shooting that I responded to involved a Winchester White Box .45acp 230gr JHP.

It went through 3 interior walls and ended up in the neighbor's apartment.

The SKS used was even more interesting...

Edited by TN-popo
I wouldn't be that close to the corner of the wall i would have backed off the corner and sliced the pie on it.
The guy talking was simulating not having that option, like he was in a hallway. I thought the same at first.

I couldn't imagine trying to one hand the bad guy, just shoot him. Or club him as you round the corner with something that gives you distance. I'd shoot my own hand/arm trying to wrestle some guy.

The gun tucked in the ribs is good. Especially with a empty hand equal on the other side for deflection. But indoors you still need a light. So why not chop down when you run face to face instead of grabbing.

Edited by Tncobra
Guest bkelm18
Interior walls suck as cover.

The latest "inside" shooting that I responded to involved a Winchester White Box .45acp 230gr JHP.

It went through 3 interior walls and ended up in the neighbor's apartment.

The SKS used was even more interesting...

I didn't say they were great cover, but betting your life on shooting someone through a wall is bad luck waiting to happen. Just because it penetrates a wall doesn't mean it still has efficacy afterward.

I didn't say they were great cover, but betting your life on shooting someone through a wall is bad luck waiting to happen. Just because it penetrates a wall doesn't mean it still has efficacy afterward.

In the interest of accuracy...

I never said that you said walls were "great cover."

I was responding to your statement that a wall (interior walls being the topic) "isn't bad cover."

I was just saying that they are...

Additionally, I'd rather not bet my life on shooting someone through anything, or nothing, if I can help it.

However, if that's the best I've got, then I'll take it...repeatedly.

:)

Edited by TN-popo

Only thing I can add to this discussion is shotgun pellets can penetrate apartment floors on occasion. Fortunately the 1st floor apt was empty at the time....

Never did find out what gauge, or how cleaning a "unloaded" shotgun caused a shell to magically appear in the chamber.... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...