Reached in the mailbox today and oh yeah there she was, my brand new HCP! I started doing a little jig and I was turning around to get back in my car (I live in an apartment complex) I see a pretty girl staring at me like I'm nuts. Oh well, life is good. It took a total of 21 days to get here, 9 days after it was issued. I guess I've got to go do my Wally Walk now, I'll take a look at their belts while I'm there! Yay!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been waiting a week and a day or two.. This thing cant get here fast enough. :(

Whats the wally walk? lol

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Rules for wally world first time out with CHL

We assumed that you have already chose a proper holster, mag pouch (or suitable combination of substitutes) and cover garment and played dress-up in front of a mirror a couple of hundred times. But now, it is time to go live in the real world. It is time for you to go to WalMart!

1) You must park your vehicle at least 50 yards from the entrance of a regular WallyWorld (75 yards for a SuperCenter.) As you head for the entrance, you must perform a scan of the area including checking under parked vehicles for BG̢۪s (Bad Guys.) Remember, grandma in an electric wheelchair is not a drive-by threat.

1A). Upon exiting car, surrepititiously adjust sidearm. Now don't touch it again unless your pants are about to fall off. Then tighten your belt

2) You MUST drive the shopping cart. No substitutes are allowed. Negotiating aisles full of screaming kids dropping cans of Chef Boyardee while Mom is on the cell phone and trying the latest Rosie O̢۪Donnell Makeup & Fragrances is a good test of patience and self-control.

3) No quickies! Your stay at WallyWorld must last no less than 45 minutes. You can hang out in automotive and even double check the Rapala lures to see what̢۪s new to kill an allotted rest time of 10 minutes. The rest of the time you must be on the move. An exception is made if you are with your significant other and she goes for the White Sale madness. You must park, wait and be ready to back your mate if things get hairy with the pillow throws or allergenic bedspreads.

4) You are gonna buy stuff so pick items from the top and bottom shelves to test your cover garment. Your mate can assist you and point out any deficiencies. If you are alone and store security or the cops have not arrived by the time you check out, you passed this test.

5) Check out: make sure you choose the busiest register. People will stand in close proximity and you must bear it with patience and avoiding contact. Beware of the people suddenly remembering a forgotten item and sending their mates to fetch it. They usually will brush against you on the way to get it.

6) Meal Time! If your WallyWorld serves Nachos, go ahead and get yourself a big serving of the suckers and wash it down with a Sam̢۪s cola. If McD̢۪s is the choice at the premises, get fries, onion rings, apple pie and a large Coke. ALL MEALS MUST BE CONSUMED ON SITE! No To-Go̢۪s or you will be disqualified.

7) When you leave, repeat the scanning of the parking lot. Remember that now you are also dealing with a shopping cart that rattles like and old train and wants to go right all the time. Do not lose track of your surroundings because of this. If you have a car, open the trunk and introduce all your bags while facing outwards. Pick up Trucks: lower the tailgate and do the same. Keep scanning, you never know where the BG̢۪s might be.

8) REMEMBER: Yellow lights = WallyWorld Security. Red Lights = Cops.

9) - Make test fall on floor in busiest area - near register or anywhere crowded. See if concealment can still be maintained. If you lose that then go back to GO and do NOT collect $200

10) Restroom break (even if you don't have to go), go through the motions, figure out what your going to do with your gun, while sitting on the commode

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Rules for wally world first time out with CHL

We assumed that you have already chose a proper holster, mag pouch (or suitable combination of substitutes) and cover garment and played dress-up in front of a mirror a couple of hundred times. But now, it is time to go live in the real world. It is time for you to go to WalMart!

1) You must park your vehicle at least 50 yards from the entrance of a regular WallyWorld (75 yards for a SuperCenter.) As you head for the entrance, you must perform a scan of the area including checking under parked vehicles for BG’s (Bad Guys.) Remember, grandma in an electric wheelchair is not a drive-by threat.

1A). Upon exiting car, surrepititiously adjust sidearm. Now don't touch it again unless your pants are about to fall off. Then tighten your belt

2) You MUST drive the shopping cart. No substitutes are allowed. Negotiating aisles full of screaming kids dropping cans of Chef Boyardee while Mom is on the cell phone and trying the latest Rosie O’Donnell Makeup & Fragrances is a good test of patience and self-control.

3) No quickies! Your stay at WallyWorld must last no less than 45 minutes. You can hang out in automotive and even double check the Rapala lures to see what’s new to kill an allotted rest time of 10 minutes. The rest of the time you must be on the move. An exception is made if you are with your significant other and she goes for the White Sale madness. You must park, wait and be ready to back your mate if things get hairy with the pillow throws or allergenic bedspreads.

4) You are gonna buy stuff so pick items from the top and bottom shelves to test your cover garment. Your mate can assist you and point out any deficiencies. If you are alone and store security or the cops have not arrived by the time you check out, you passed this test.

5) Check out: make sure you choose the busiest register. People will stand in close proximity and you must bear it with patience and avoiding contact. Beware of the people suddenly remembering a forgotten item and sending their mates to fetch it. They usually will brush against you on the way to get it.

6) Meal Time! If your WallyWorld serves Nachos, go ahead and get yourself a big serving of the suckers and wash it down with a Sam’s cola. If McD’s is the choice at the premises, get fries, onion rings, apple pie and a large Coke. ALL MEALS MUST BE CONSUMED ON SITE! No To-Go’s or you will be disqualified.

7) When you leave, repeat the scanning of the parking lot. Remember that now you are also dealing with a shopping cart that rattles like and old train and wants to go right all the time. Do not lose track of your surroundings because of this. If you have a car, open the trunk and introduce all your bags while facing outwards. Pick up Trucks: lower the tailgate and do the same. Keep scanning, you never know where the BG’s might be.

8) REMEMBER: Yellow lights = WallyWorld Security. Red Lights = Cops.

9) - Make test fall on floor in busiest area - near register or anywhere crowded. See if concealment can still be maintained. If you lose that then go back to GO and do NOT collect $200

10) Restroom break (even if you don't have to go), go through the motions, figure out what your going to do with your gun, while sitting on the commode

Good stuff :(

Wally Walk completed! I was actually open carrying, I've been so broke this week that I could only afford the 12.00 blackhawk holster from wal-mart. Yeah I know...it's bad. Strangely enough most people didn't even notice (that I could tell) although the ones that did were mainly older men, and women. Ladies with kids seemed the most surprised by it, I think their kids thought it was cool (what kid wouldn't). Walking around with that gun gives me a strong feeling of peace and comfort, more than I thought it would. It's a very nice feeling. I'm sure it'll be even better when I can afford a good IWB holster. As much as I know I should conceal carry, open carry was what I wanted to do for my first ever Wally Walk. I love my gun.

For me, it'll definitely be open carry most of the time when the weather is warm - never been one much for un-tucked shirts - and concealed carry will be mostly incidental and coinciding with weather. Having carried open in Kansas for years both before permits were required and as a living history docent, I don't expect it to be much of a deal. Seriously doubt that I'll do the HCP dance, but it's only because I have two left feet and would hate to incapacitate myself before I can actually use it. :puke:

Congrats on the permit and the successful Wally walk!

...TS...

For me, it'll definitely be open carry most of the time when the weather is warm - never been one much for un-tucked shirts - and concealed carry will be mostly incidental and coinciding with weather. Having carried open in Kansas for years both before permits were required and as a living history docent, I don't expect it to be much of a deal. Seriously doubt that I'll do the HCP dance, but it's only because I have two left feet and would hate to incapacitate myself before I can actually use it. :D

Congrats on the permit and the successful Wally walk!

...TS...

To each his own but I will never understand the need to OC. No disrespect intended.

To each his own but I will never understand the need to OC. No disrespect intended.

None taken. And it's not that I "feel the need to OC" so much as I don't really feel the need to CC. I don't have anything against it, but except under extreme circumstances I'm not going to go out of my way to do it. For those who know me, for me to suddenly start dressing differently (in order to facilitate CC) would be cause for alarm.

FWIW, I'm 50. I'm the fifth of five sons. I'm originally from Western Kansas where open carry is not a big deal and I've been using and carrying guns safely literally since I was a kid. I've spent months at a time where I slept with a gun either on my immediate person or very close to hand. I'm not bragging, simply stating facts to help you understand my mindset.

I don't intend to flaunt my carry weapon, never have, never will and don't understand those who do. But I'm not going to start un-tucking my shirt, wearing baggy jeans or wearing a jacket when it's 90 degrees just to conceal.

Given the way I usually dress (in boots, jeans, cowboy hat and tucked in shirt), my guess is that the .357 mag on my hip or at the small of my back won't look out of place and indeed will more than likely go largely unnoticed by the general populace. Ever notice how some folks couldn't CC if they wore a tent and others are so comfortable with their weapons that you have look twice even when it's in plain sight? Given my personal experience, I'm guessing that I belong in the latter category. Again, I'm not going to flaunt the fact that I'm carrying, but neither am I going to make it obvious that I'm trying to hide the fact I'm carrying which is what would happen if I did.

In short, I'd rather just wear it in plain sight where very few will see it, rather than hide it where everyone will notice it. (Or does that not make sense to anyone but me?)

...TS...

Edited by Timestepper

Well my friend got a letter from the state that her fingerprints didn't turn out good. They said she should make another appointment and have them redone at no charge. The day she had hers done there was a problem with the fingerprint machine. So here we go again the count will start again as soon as her prints are redone.

I'm sure it'll be even better when I can afford a good IWB holster. As much as I know I should conceal carry, open carry was what I wanted to do for my first ever Wally Walk. I love my gun.

I bought a no-name, $15 w/shipping, IWB cloth holster for my XDm a couple of years ago and it has worked flawlessly since. No issues with wear on it or anything. It has a metal clip that clips over the belt on the outside. Since I spent most of these two years finishing up college and grad school, I lived in an apartment that was anti-gun (the lease, not legally posted) so I CC'ed 99% of the time. The holster has held up great.

Curious, why do you "know you should CC"? Now that I have the option, I OC whenever possible. It is sooo much more comfortable. (got a returned Blackhawk Serpa for $8.00)

I bought a no-name, $15 w/shipping, IWB cloth holster for my XDm a couple of years ago and it has worked flawlessly since. No issues with wear on it or anything. It has a metal clip that clips over the belt on the outside. Since I spent most of these two years finishing up college and grad school, I lived in an apartment that was anti-gun (the lease, not legally posted) so I CC'ed 99% of the time. The holster has held up great.

Curious, why do you "know you should CC"? Now that I have the option, I OC whenever possible. It is sooo much more comfortable. (got a returned Blackhawk Serpa for $8.00)

It's kind of complicated, but the simple version is I spend a great deal of my time at work (East Nashville among the liberals) and I can't OC at work. I work in a somewhat bad part of town and that was one of the main reasons I felt I needed to carry in the first place. Looking back I probably should've gotten the Glock 26 instead of the 19...but that just gives me an excuse to buy both! I tried on a Galco Stow-n-Go yesterday and I thought it worked pretty well...but I'm hoping the Crossbreed will conceal it much better. I haven't tried the Crossbreed on yet but from what I hear it should do the trick.

Well my friend got a letter from the state that her fingerprints didn't turn out good. They said she should make another appointment and have them redone at no charge. The day she had hers done there was a problem with the fingerprint machine. So here we go again the count will start again as soon as her prints are redone.

Thats a bummer :P

I hope the second go-round is quick. :P