Time to upgrade Verizon smartphone

daddyo

It's time for me to upgrade my phone. I currently have a HTC Eris (3G). I like the Android platform, so I'm not too interested in learning a new OS.

One thing I'm confused about is when Verizon originally launched their 4G network, they charged extra to access it. When I went on their website today I couldn't see anything about additional charges. In fact, it looks like they're offering double data plans for a limited time (40G for the same price as 20G, for example). I wasn't going to upgrade to 4G, but if there isn't an extra charge, then it's kind of a no-brainer. I would like the increased speed.

So, you guys who use Verizon, what phone do you think I should get? I'd really like a slide out QWERTY keyboard, but that really limits my options. I'm not a big fan of the virtual keyboards.

I really like the Droid 3, but it's not a 4G phone. I currently use less than 0.5G a month and don't see that changing much. However, my wife is going to upgrade to a smartphone and wants the IPhone4S, so that will increase the data usage on our family plan.

I'm open to suggestions.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You said you don't like the virtual keyboard, but have you tried Swype? I can type pretty quickly, accurately, and easily with it. Might open up your options a bit.

I have not tried it, but have heard that it makes using the virtual keyboard much easier. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...
Guest rebeldrummer

well I really enjoy all the bells and whistles of the smartphone platform however I am so rough on phones that it was getting pricy to keep one of mine functioning properly all the time. drop here. scratch there. ding...dent. that translates to $$$ here....$$$ there...$$$...$$$ !!! anywho...I came across the Casio G'zOne Commando. It is the first "RUGGADIZED" smartphone. It is on the DROID platform as well. Mil Spec. Water.Dust.Dirt proof. Nice built in/on shell for drop protection (And it works) I like this phone alot.....no slideout but has swipe. check it our here _ Set Your Location _ I also use it for GeoCaching since it has a built in compass, flaslight, gps and my downlaoded geocach app!!!

I would hold off on 4G until they get it right. We have two Samsung Charges on our account. My phone is an Incredible (no 4G capability). There have been many times, like about half an hour ago, that the Charges could not get data service, but my DInc could.

The perceived difference between 3G and 4G is not that great.

Besides, if you suck down so much data that you think you NEED 4G, get ready for the graduated, that is "more expensive" data plans at VZW.

I have the HTC Rezound and my GF has the Thunderbolt. Switching from Palm Pre 2's, these things are amazing! I love 4g, here in Sevierville I get full signal in town, and consistently see speeds from 9 mbps down and 5-8 mbps up. That is amazing! I think as they roll out more 4g it'll get better, and I believe if you can hold of a little bit longer better phones will be coming out. I get better service on my phone, than she does on hers, and they are approx 8 months difference. You can check on vzw and see if you are in "the network" for 4g, if it says "extended coverage" than you will be very spotty, like I have to stand in the right place in my room to get it. At work I am constintly listening to espn radio, which of course you can do that on 3g as well, but just knowing if I need to download something I can, SUPERFAST.

So in wrap up, I wont have another non-4g phone.

You said you don't like the virtual keyboard, but have you tried Swype? I can type pretty quickly, accurately, and easily with it. Might open up your options a bit.

Swype changed the game for me on a virtual pad. I preferred a keyed pad, but when I upgraded to Android, they didn't offer a phone I liked with a pad. Swype is pretty awesome, my only complaint is that it will learn your words and patterns, even if you misspell something. It can be a hassle when you are in a hurry, but with a little patience and training, it works like a charm.

I forgot about this thread lol. Went the first of Dec just to look and ended up getting the new HTC Rezound. It is a sweet phone. Not really impressed with 4G service so far, however. It's been down twice this month. But when it works it's great.

Guest WyattEarp
well I really enjoy all the bells and whistles of the smartphone platform however I am so rough on phones that it was getting pricy to keep one of mine functioning properly all the time. drop here. scratch there. ding...dent. that translates to $$$ here....$$$ there...$$$...$$$ !!! anywho...I came across the Casio G'zOne Commando. It is the first "RUGGADIZED" smartphone. It is on the DROID platform as well. Mil Spec. Water.Dust.Dirt proof. Nice built in/on shell for drop protection (And it works) I like this phone alot.....no slideout but has swipe. check it our here _ Set Your Location _ I also use it for GeoCaching since it has a built in compass, flaslight, gps and my downlaoded geocach app!!!

you need an otterbox and a screen protector (clear plastic strip that adheres to the screen on your phone). I have a Droid incredible with the extended battery, had dad dremel out the back of the otterbox to fit the extended battery so I could use it, and it works great. Dropped it several times already still works with no issues.

New iPhone 4S Cases, iPad 2 Cases & More // OtterBox.com

can't help ya with waterproof, I guess you could some heat shrink bags and seal your phone that way lol. but good luck charging it!

Shrink Bags

I would hold off on 4G until they get it right. We have two Samsung Charges on our account. My phone is an Incredible (no 4G capability). There have been many times, like about half an hour ago, that the Charges could not get data service, but my DInc could.

The perceived difference between 3G and 4G is not that great.

Besides, if you suck down so much data that you think you NEED 4G, get ready for the graduated, that is "more expensive" data plans at VZW.

there's nothing wrong with 4G, they just dont have enough towers up yet to support it right now. it wont be till the end of 2013 before it's fully operational.

Verizon's 4G network launches Sunday | nashvillepost.com

I forgot about this thread lol. Went the first of Dec just to look and ended up getting the new HTC Rezound. It is a sweet phone. Not really impressed with 4G service so far, however. It's been down twice this month. But when it works it's great.

give it time, they're still expanding 4G coverage, towers and capabilities.

Guest 22-rimfire

The difference between 3G and 4G is incredible if you live in an area that has 4G. To actually benefit from the increased speed, you need something more than just a basic phone. I like the new Motorola Razer and some of you are mentioning that the new Droid (with slider keyboard) will be out in January. For me, it would be one or the other depending on how you feel about keyboards.

There is a huge difference with my 4G air card versus my old 3G air card. The 3G was sluggish and impossible to stream anything with any regularity. With 4G, it is about like DSL speed levels. I upgreaded immediately to the 4G air card when it became available. It was a good choice.

Now, I am pondering the advantages and disadvantages of a Tablet as far as size goes, wifi only, or basically set up like a phone??? I "think" I want a Tablet for business, but have stepped back and I'm considering the Razor and keeping my air card for my lap top... or drop the air card down the road when the contract is up and go with the hotspot deal which makes a lot of sense for a 4G tablet. Decisions decisions.... so far I have made the decision to do nothing.