Question about Charles Daly 1911

Ricochet

My husband wants a 1911 and I found a Charles Daly yesterday. We like the looks of it but he wants to know if it will shoot hollow points. The book on it says round nose bullets not wad cutters. The hollow point is sorta in the middle so does anyone have experience with this? And is the CD 1911 any good?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boomhower
An actual Charles Daly rep made a big post on THR.com concerning customer service and what they were doing to address past issues. Seems to be a good company that cares about their reputation.

That would be the El Presidente, Michael Kassnar. He seems to be on there almost daily.

They keep one main thread going over there concerning CD's......Click here

Guest DrBoomBoom

Guns&Dobes, First off, gorgeous dobes. I got a used Charles Daly 1911 A1 a little over a year ago. I haven't shot HPs in it, but it's had 230 gr lead and FMJ of various brands, 200 gr LRNs that I loaded myself at various powers, and a box of an unusual looking cone FP jacketed Remingtons. About a thousand rounds in all.

The first few range sessions with it had some FTE's, so I tuned the extractor and bought some Wilson mags. It's performed flawlessly since. It's a good gun, more accurate by far than I am. I'd bet it would cycle Pow'rBall or one of the HPs with the small hollow just fine.

Guns&Dobes, First off, gorgeous dobes.

Thanks DrBoomBoom, those are my babies! :P

Well everyone, I got the pistol for him and he really likes it. I think it is a tiny bit heavy LOL but what do I know.

Now since I got his new toy out of the way I am saving for my next one ;) I am thinking of the Springfield XD subcompact 9 mm. I have the Glock 26 and I love it but I am still thinking on that XD. Well, that is unless I find something else that peaks my interest. :tinfoil:

Guest Boomhower
Well everyone, I got the pistol for him and he really likes it.

I wonder if I could get you to talk to my wife and convince her that she too can buys guns for me, not just I :tinfoil:....She comes from Athens too...

I wonder if I could get you to talk to my wife and convince her that she too can buys guns for me, not just I :hijack:....She comes from Athens too...

Send her on over Boomhower, I will try to give her a good talking too, but I don't know if being from Athens will help much, I was born and raised in Almost Heaven West Virginia. :D

Diane, Congrats on the new addition to your family! :)

Was this a surprise for Mark? I bet he's a happy guy right now!

The best part is that next it's your turn :hijack:

Packin, it was kinda of a surprise but not quite, he sent off for his permit a week ago and he has been talking hard about a 1911 for the last couple of months. He has been researching the Taurus, I happened to stroll into the gun store day before yesterday and saw three 1911's there and I really liked the Charles Daly. So I mentioned it to him and he did some fast looking up and it has all the bells and whistles that he wanted already. He is left handed which helps that there is a thumb safety latch on both sides. So yes he is a very happy guy. He was polishing and loving on it last night. ;)

I ended up doing some trading and came out with some money on top to go toward me a new gun also, still saving but about half way there. :D Not sure what I want yet. As of right now I only have two guns. My Glock 26 and my Kel-tec P3AT.

It almost seems fruitless to get another sub compact 9 mm? What do you all think? I want to get something else that I can actually carry if I want, I was torn between the Glock 26 and the XD sub. Springfield 9mm when I decided on the Glock. I don't regret it because I really love it. But I still keep thinking about that XD LOL.

Guest DrBoomBoom

It never hurts to have two guns that can fill in the same function. 10,000 rounds down the pike when you've got your piece in to the gunsmith for a tuneup, you'll find it to be a good thing having a spare gun with which you're familiar.

So, how's that for a good excuse?

It never hurts to have two guns that can fill in the same function. 10,000 rounds down the pike when you've got your piece in to the gunsmith for a tuneup, you'll find it to be a good thing having a spare gun with which you're familiar.

So, how's that for a good excuse?

I think it sounds very promising :up:

OK so now I am thinking about two. The Springfield Subcompact XD 9mm and the Ruger SR9 :D And since the SR9 will be a little bigger but slimmer it may give me some variety in the feel at least.

Ya know what I am thinking, that the more I have of the same caliber the easier it is to keep up with the ammo. LOL, I don't shoot the P3AT much cause it is just not a fun gun to shoot, so I don't bother with having to get target ammo for it. But if I have two 9mm's then I am set to go with either.

I think I have about talked myself into it. :(

Wow I am definitely liking the idea. :popcorn:

Decisions Decisions.

Well, I had an XD-9 subcompact and liked it. In fact I liked it a lot more than my G26. If this is a fun gun, I'd highly recommend it. I can't tell you anything about the SR9.

If it's a carry gun, I don't recommend striker fired guns at all these days.

If it's a carry gun, I don't recommend striker fired guns at all these days.

Can you tell me why you wouldn't recommend striker fired?

Choosing my next gun is what has me a little undecided at the moment, not only will I want to shoot it for target practise and fun, I want to be able to use whatever I get as a carry if the mood hits.

Both guns I have now can be carry and I like it that way, (only one of them is fun to shoot). I want this next one to be fun and carry.

Edited by Guns&Dobes
Can you tell me why you wouldn't recommend striker fired?

Choosing my next gun is what has me a little undecided at the moment, not only will I want to shoot it for target practise and fun, I want to be able to use whatever I get as a carry if the mood hits.

Both guns I have now can be carry and I like it that way, (only one of them is fun to shoot). I want this next one to be fun and carry.

I carried a couple of Glocks and the XD for a while. I no longer consider them to be sufficiently safe. But the XD is better than the Glocks.

In addition, I prefer a gun with more options. That's why I only recommend handguns that can be de-cocked and re-cocked or DAO handguns for carry. The best have a hammer.

I carried a couple of Glocks and the XD for a while. I no longer consider them to be sufficiently safe. But the XD is better than the Glocks.

In addition, I prefer a gun with more options. That's why I only recommend handguns that can be de-cocked and re-cocked or DAO handguns for carry. The best have a hammer.

OK thanks for your explanation, I can't agree or disagree with you concerning the XD being better than the Glock until or unless I get the XD and can then honestly give an opinion, but we all know that you hate Glocks :(

If it were me, I'd get a Glock 19 to go with your 26. The 19 is Glock's compact 9mm model....the bigger brother to the 26. It has a standard 15 rd. mag capacity....and the magazines will also fit your G26...they just stick out a bit. It only weighs 21 oz. empty and 30 oz. loaded.

This is pretty much the same setup I have with my G27 and G23.....except in .40 cal. I really like being able to use my 23 mags in my 27. The compact Glocks are really fun to shoot.....they seem to be a bit more accurate than the sub compacts.....I assume because of the longer barrel length.....and they seem to soak up a little more recoil too. They are also fairly easy to carry.....just a little bit bigger than the subs.

Just my .02 :(

Edited by PackinMama

Jeff Cooper

“The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.â€

— Guns & Ammo, January 2002