Awesome Time lapsed video of earth

JG55

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally saw it! Went over to my wife's Win... uh, Wind... uh... :poop: computer (go figure) and it played there. Gorgeous!!!

Did you know that Stephen Jobs and Bill Gates were both born in same year?

I don't know that any conclusions about their respective operating systems should be drawn from that, though.

- OS

Absolutely stunning,

Just makes me think, and pray that there is hope for us yet. I am a realist if anything but that does not mean I have given up on hope or faith.

Wow, incredible that whole border is actually lit well enough to see from space! Blows my mind.

Hell, we can't even build an unlit fence on ours.

- OS

Oh SH***

the truth came out.....!!!!!

Everyone Duck!!!! :poop:

Unfortunately there is a whole lot of truth in that.

Well there is always the speeding bus theory,

or the rouge asteroid theory.

Well, there have been several mass extinction events before, so certainly we're cosmically due any time.

But we're also in uncharted territory population-wise, so we may well be able to handle the majority of it ourselves, even without using nukes.

- OS

Describe "handling it ourselves"!

Simple upside down pyramid of population overdriving resources. Basically an enviro problem, but like all things now, translated into economics first.

Notice the world wide "recession"?

Just speaking of the USA, if we have a depression here "only" as bad as the 30's (it'll likely be much worse), we'll likely lose a large part of our population this time around. For lots of reasons, but suffice it to say it ain't remotely the same country as it was in the 30's. Besides the population demographics and JIT supply system, add to that the loss of a national ethos. People won't stand in bread lines nowadays -- not that there could be enough of them anyway.

If things get bad enough for social services to break down (think water treatment and sanitation alone) then you get the Big Biblical Bad Stuff, and Hell really cranks it up.

In the wild, when populations hit the wall, they don't just pare back to fit the supply, they really crash far below it. I would suspect homo sapiens to be similar.

Again, totally uncharted waters now, so past history may be only partially instructive at best.

I always like to end the evening on an up note, so thanks for asking. :poop:

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

The India/Pakistan border line is reddish, but also some of the assorted cities in the video have a more reddish color than typical.

Reckon the red cities represent a particular style of lighting? The atmosphere probably does some filtering and possibly different angles thru the atmosphere perform visibly-noticeable different amounts of filtering? Possibly cities near the far edges of the camera view would have more dramatic filtering? (analogous to the filtering which causes red sunsets)

Sodium vapor lights are very efficient and the output is strong in yellow. Some sodium lamps are almost entirely yellow output. Maybe the "reddish" cities are almost exclusively lit by sodium vapor lamps? Or is there a better explanation?

The India/Pakistan border line is reddish, but also some of the assorted cities in the video have a more reddish color than typical.

Reckon the red cities represent a particular style of lighting? The atmosphere probably does some filtering and possibly different angles thru the atmosphere perform visibly-noticeable different amounts of filtering? Possibly cities near the far edges of the camera view would have more dramatic filtering? (analogous to the filtering which causes red sunsets)

Sodium vapor lights are very efficient and the output is strong in yellow. Some sodium lamps are almost entirely yellow output. Maybe the "reddish" cities are almost exclusively lit by sodium vapor lamps? Or is there a better explanation?

Maybe it was election time over there and they voted mostly republican

I went looking for the answer to that and found this NASA site telling how they photograph from space. It's far more complex than I thought. They also say that if the lights are mercury vapor, the cities will appear blue-green, while sodium vapor will yield yellow-orange.

NASA - Cities at Night: An Orbital Perspective

I've always thought of asteroids as gray or brown, maybe even black, but never rouge.

LOL.... Rogue.... I admit I get ahead of myself sometimes when I am typing....:D