Work concealed carry

What is your company policy on concealed carry at work?

I ask because our current policy is not on the premise's. It is treated more don't ask dont tell we normally just leave them locked in the car.

Last night as we were leaving a few were staying late and were freaking out trying to hurry and get all the doors locked. There had been a robbery and one of the three armed juveniles was on the run. The helicopter's were flying over and metro had the road blocked while they searched. Now this isn't the first problem around since I work off of trinity lane and brick church pike in north nashville.

This morning I met with our human resources person about looking at out gun policy and allowing concealed carry to those with a permit. At the least allowing locked in our desk. She is going to ask questions and check other work policies to see. She is a permit holder but does not carry. But others in the office are anti gun. I would guess at least one third of our employees are permit holders.

What are your company policies? How is it written in your hand book if there is one?

Sent from my Droid X using Smoke Signals!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest President Fernatt

I work at a tourism/entertainment attraction. The owners are a husband and wife who are very liberal (network executive/t.v. producer types). They are incredibly good bosses but really ignorant on gun rights and things like that.

Our company policy is that NO weapons can be on premises. Like you, the employees who have permits usually just lock their guns in the car and keep their mouth shut when around owners and HR lol

We are not posted BUT if a guest walks in OC'ing, the managers ask them to leave or put their gun in the car. This came about because we had a man drop his gun out of his holster and all the ammo went rolling around on the floor. Anti-gun Managers freaked out and brought it to the owners' attention. Concealed carry is fine though since we aren't posted. If the owners knew about the need to post rule...they would have a sign up instantly...but I'm not telling them :)

It is up to the owner at my work. Nothing specifically prohibits it.

He has a permit and carrys in his car and at other times. In discussing guns with him i have made it clear i always have something with me. Most of the time i am the last one out of the building. I believe this has a lot to do with why he allows it. If i was overpowered and hurt i would be laying there until the next day. Often i am sure i am the only person in thhe complex when i leave.

I am thankful i work for someone who understands.

What is your company policy on concealed carry at work?

I ask because our current policy is not on the premise's. It is treated more don't ask dont tell we normally just leave them locked in the car.

Last night as we were leaving a few were staying late and were freaking out trying to hurry and get all the doors locked. There had been a robbery and one of the three armed juveniles was on the run. The helicopter's were flying over and metro had the road blocked while they searched. Now this isn't the first problem around since I work off of trinity lane and brick church pike in north nashville.

This morning I met with our human resources person about looking at out gun policy and allowing concealed carry to those with a permit. At the least allowing locked in our desk. She is going to ask questions and check other work policies to see. She is a permit holder but does not carry. But others in the office are anti gun. I would guess at least one third of our employees are permit holders.

What are your company policies? How is it written in your hand book if there is one?

admittedly, I am being a bit cynical, but friend, If I was you, I would make sure you have your resume up to date. You *may* have just placed a big bullseye on your tenure there (even if your immediate HR person is on your side, the owners, mgmt, & their lawyers won't be).

HR *always* favors company in the long run. Bank on it.

B.

I work from home so no rules but my own here at the office and carrying is welcomed! :D

When I did once upon a time work in an office, I would keep a snubbie in my computer bag. I never told anyone so therefore I was never questioned about it. The office was only 25 or so folks and not a retail store or a huge office building so it was quite a bit different than where many people work.

Edited by Kenstaroni
admittedly, I am being a bit cynical, but friend, If I was you, I would make sure you have your resume up to date. You *may* have just placed a big bullseye on your tenure there (even if your immediate HR person is on your side, the owners, mgmt, & their lawyers won't be).

HR *always* favors company in the long run. Bank on it.

B.

I wouldn't have had the conversion if I thought my job would be jeopardized by it. we are a small family owned company. Lawyers and insurance could be why we have a gun policy but a lot has changed since the policy was put in place. The company changed location and I dont think the neighborhood was considered a threat when the building was built. Since then we have all seen different.

There has been a few occasions over the last two years that our safety has been questionable.

It is up to the owner at my work. Nothing specifically prohibits it.

He has a permit and carrys in his car and at other times. In discussing guns with him i have made it clear i always have something with me. Most of the time i am the last one out of the building. I believe this has a lot to do with why he allows it. If i was overpowered and hurt i would be laying there until the next day. Often i am sure i am the only person in thhe complex when i leave.

I am thankful i work for someone who understands.

Yea, and where you are at you need a tommy gun.

Me on the other hand, my boss understands the need for protection, and insists on carrying. The company policy is simply this "don't carry where you arn't supposed to and don't monkey around with it and shoot the truck" (that's another story entirley).

and don't monkey around with it and shoot the truck" (that's another story entirley).

One you may need to share...lol... It conjured up a few images in my mind.

and don't monkey around with it and shoot the truck" (that's another story entirley).
One you may need to share...lol... It conjured up a few images in my mind.

Reminds me of when I lived up in Lincoln County, Ks. - One evening a young deputy came back from making his rounds out towards the county line East of town. He walked into the Sheriff's office and summarily resigned, then walked home. He gave no specific reason for resigning, just shook his head and left. Next morning the Sheriff went out to the cruiser and found that his recently resigned officer had shot a hole in the roof. :D

Reminds me of when I lived up in Lincoln County, Ks. - One evening a young deputy came back from making his rounds out towards the county line East of town. He walked into the Sheriff's office and summarily resigned, then walked home. He gave no specific reason for resigning, just shook his head and left. Next morning the Sheriff went out to the cruiser and found that his recently resigned officer had shot a hole in the roof. :D

Wouldn't you like to know in those oh so famous words?

"and now for the rest of the story"

Ok, ok.

I was on the way to a job at a school. On the way, since you can't carry at school and can't touch it once on property, I unholstered the gun and stuck it in the side pocket of my truck (like I've done 1000 times before), well it caught on something and bang. Shot a hole through the pocket, through the door rubber and into the inner section of the inner wheel well. The bullit is still there, can't see it unless the door is open and I learned a lesson. There is now a holster there to stick the gun into when I HAVE to take it off.

Guest rebeldrummer

there are no signs ANYWHERE at my job....I am the first on site in the am (usually 6 am) and it is dark and very secluded so I do carry concealed. Basically it is a "dont ask dont tell" policy. I have struck up the conversation with our legal adviser (who has a permit) and she is all for it as well.

Ok, ok.

I was on the way to a job at a school. On the way, since you can't carry at school and can't touch it once on property, I unholstered the gun and stuck it in the side pocket of my truck (like I've done 1000 times before), well it caught on something and bang. Shot a hole through the pocket, through the door rubber and into the inner section of the inner wheel well. The bullit is still there, can't see it unless the door is open and I learned a lesson. There is now a holster there to stick the gun into when I HAVE to take it off.

Helluva way to scare the sh** out of yourself...:D

I would have to laugh at it latter but I can imagine how I would have felt when it happened.

The thought of that type of situation is why I keep the cheap Uncle Mikes or Blackhawk IWB holsters around, some of which I have removed the clips from. I call them my toss around holsters.

Anyway I am glad no one was hurt.

Helluva way to scare the sh** out of yourself...:lol:I would have to laugh at it latter but I can imagine how I would have felt when it happened.The thought of that type of situation is why I keep the cheap Uncle Mikes or Blackhawk IWB holsters around, some of which I have removed the clips from. I call them my toss around holsters.Anyway I am glad no one was hurt.
Actually we didn't really know what happened for a second, I was in shock from the gun trying to break my hand (40S&W in a M&P40C). Funny thing was we pulled over to "gain composer" and after getting out of the truck and finding my gun under the seat I put it in the slot and drove on to the job site. On the way back I looked at the church parking lot I pulled over into and it was a SCHOOL. :D
Actually we didn't really know what happened for a second, I was in shock from the gun trying to break my hand (40S&W in a M&P40C). Funny thing was we pulled over to "gain composer" and after getting out of the truck and finding my gun under the seat I put it in the slot and drove on to the job site. On the way back I looked at the church parking lot I pulled over into and it was a SCHOOL. :D

I bet your ears were ringing. I had a buddy fire a .22 out a car window and was pretty much deafened all day long.

I bet your ears were ringing. I had a buddy fire a .22 out a car window and was pretty much deafened all day long.

Nope, didn't even think it was inside the truck for a second. Now all the windows were down.

:D:stunned::poop:

I don't think I could say it any better....

Tell me about it. That's all I need.