ATV/ UTV question

56FordGuy

I'm looking for a used side by side, JD Gator type thing to use on the farm.

Do these things have titles or need to be registered in TN? I have no plans to ever operate it on a public roadway, so I wouldn't think any title or registration would be needed. I've never owned one though, so I wanted to check.

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Polaris Ranger is titled, and can be registered as a medium speed vehicle upon afadavit of road equipping (turn signals, horn, mirrors,etc). Dad's is tagged.

That said, some WMA's (ex. Catoosa) still prohibit their use in the off season, despite license, registration, and insurance.

edit - and to actually answer your question, if operated solely off road, it does not need to be registered.

Edited by R_Bert

You don't have to have a title or register them. You will need a Bill of Sale from whomever you purchase it to "show ownership". Having it titled to you may help prove it is yours in the case of a theft, but I think you can still get it insured without it titled. One of mine is titled, the other I was not able to title due to the original owner never taking the MSO title and paying the taxes to have it registered. I have owned a few ATVs, and will negotiate price down due to lack of title occasionally.

The majority of the time the dealer gives the owner a MSO (Manufactures Statement of Origin) with it you can title it or not.

Most do not. The dealer will also give you a bill of sale.

That is the problem I ran into. Previous owner never titled mine. In order for me to title it, the original owner would have to take MSO and bill of sale to their clerk, pay the taxes on original purchase price, and then I could take the new title and register it with my clerk's office. It was going to add like 400 dollars to an ATV that i was paying a grand for. We decided it was not worth it, and I just retained their MSO and original bill of sale along with a new bill of sale written out for myself.

I have a friend who buys, sales, and trades these often. He rarely gets one in with a title. Like R1100R says above, people often never register/title them. The person I bought mine from thought the MSO was the title, he never even knew he could go to a clerk and title it.

Well, I bought a 2004 JD Gator this morning. :shrug:

Bought it on consignment through a dealer, got no title but did get a bill of sale. They said JD didn't title the Gators, they treated them like a lawnmower or a tractor.

In any case, this thing is fun. I bought it to carry hay bales and fence posts, but I've got to admit I had a blast just riding around playing with it.

It probably is too wide for most trails, and kind of slow. Only two wheel drive, too. That said, it climbs the hill pretty well and most of my trails are old logging roads that are cleared enough to go down with the tractor.

It's got an aftermarket cab on it, but the windshield is missing. Has the top and doors, though. I took the doors off for now, and need to get some plexiglass or something to make a windshield.

It does not. John Deere wants something like $15.00 for a plastic cupholder that attaches with that adhesive tape stuff.

The fact that you have already looked into getting a cup holder just hours after buying the ATV is making me smile! :thumbsup:

I got it home, unloaded it, and drove it around for a while. It wasn't until I drove it out to the shop to work on something else that I realized there was no cupholder. There's a glovebox on the passenger's side, but that really isn't going to work. John Deere makes replacement fenders that have a cupholder built into them. They're $95.00 apiece. The official John Deere tape on cupholder is $15 or $20, depending on where you buy it. I think I can buy one of those plastic, .99 cent ones from somewhere that's supposed to hang on a car door, and just attach it myself.

The fact that the first question y'all asked was "Is there a PBR cupholder" is making me laugh. ;)

It does not. John Deere wants something like $15.00 for a plastic cupholder that attaches with that adhesive tape stuff.

I'm thinking I'll just go to the dollar store. :)

Look at articulating gimbal mounted cup holders as used in boats. The first time you get in rough terrain you'll appreciate it.

oldogy

does it start by depressing the gas pedal or do you start it by cranking it every time, like a car

Starts with a key, like a car. Idles pretty low and quietly though, almost sounds like a golf cart when it's just sitting there.

Look at articulating gimbal mounted cup holders as used in boats. The first time you get in rough terrain you'll appreciate it.

oldogy

Looked them up online, that looks like just the thing. Thanks!

• Moderators

Looked them up online, that looks like just the thing. Thanks!

Can't be spilling the PBR, that'd just be wrong.