Glock Gen 4

Guest JohnKnox003

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest twpayne75

They are for people who don't really like Glocks. I am in that group. I always wanted to like Glocks, but couldn't. The first time I felt the Gen 4 G17 I had to have one. After putting a few rounds through it I went back and got a Gen 4 G19.

If purchasing one, try the trigger. My G19 had about a 9 lb pull when I got it. The reason is the trigger housing is canted just a bit to clear the different frame. It makes the trigger pull harder if it has the standard 5.5# connector. If it has that one you can call Glock and they will send you the new "." connector which will drop it back down to stock Gen 3 weight for free. The ones they are shipping now come with that connector already. Personally I like the feel of the Glock 3.5# connector. It produces a little over a 4# pull in a Gen 4. Some people get off on telling people to change the trigger bar to a Gen 3. Don't do it. That little bump makes no difference in the pull weight. But I can attest that it will make the trigger more spongey feeling for some reason. It did mine and I ended up changing them back to their original trigger bars. Only thing I did do to them was to smooth out the hump that meets the firing pin safety plunger. There was a slight bump on both of mine which caused the trigger to feel rough as the trigger bar was sliding against it.

Mods done to both were night sights G17-Truglo TFO / G19-Arotek, they both got Lonewolf extractors, 3.5# Glock connectors and the ".25 polish job".

I love the Gen 4s and have never had a malfunction with either one.

If you have any specific questions just ask. I will try to answer them.

Edited by twpayne75
Guest twpayne75
havent gotten to fire one yet, but i know that i dont care for the new grip texture.

You probably don't care for it BECAUSE you haven't fired one yet. It sticks to your hand without being rough on your skin when carrying IWB. And if you are that sensitive you can hit it a couple times with sandpaper. Just enough to take the edge off. If you are I die hard Gen 3 fan you will probably not like them. I think gripping the Gen 3 is like gripping a wet 2x4.

Guest FiddleDog

I've owned a Gen3, an RFT2 and currently own a Gen4. The Gen4's texture is hands down the best for grip and carry.

Edited by FiddleDog

I bought a Glock 23 Gen 4 back in July, it was my first pistol. After I put a backstrap on, I really like how it felt. The texture can be annoying when carrying, but normally just driving. I've put ~1000 rounds down it and haven't had any issues. No heavy trigger like tw was talking about, but I guess I didn't get one of the ones with issues. I never noticed how the finger grooves didn't really work well until OS pointed it out to me, but if you're familiar with other firearms you might notice it quickly.

Glock 22 Gen 4 and Glock 26 Gen 4 here. I chose the Gen 4's because I prefer the feel of the grips, both the texture and the smaller size (I use them without either of the two backstraps).

I have never had any problems with either of them.

The Gen 4 Glock 17 that I have now is awesome. It actually feels more like holding a pistol than a 2X4.

I've shot Glocks for year's and dealt with the grip angle but you make a good point...the Gen 4 grip does feel better in the G17/22, just like it does with the G-26/27.

I'm starting to see a trend here. A lot of die hard Glock fans seem to dislike the Gen 4, but those who didn't like them previously seem to like the Gen 4.

What a dilemma for Glock, huh? Much of their existing customer base doesn't like the changes that are bringing around a lot of new customers.

Anyone know if they are making both models or has all production switched over to the Gen 4?

I think the reason most die hard Glock fans don't like the Gen 4 is because some of the early ones were having failures and they're pissed that Glock made changes to a platform that was working very well already.

People who previously didn't like Glocks like the Gen 4 because with the adjustable back straps it can fit most anyone now.

I have Gens 3 and 4 19s.

The Gen 4 has had 2 malfunctions in 2000 rounds, one was a stove pipe and the other was a failure to fire.

The failure to fire happened during a match first shot after a mag change. I pulled the trigger and it just clicked so I slapped the mag and racked the slide because I thought I didn't get the mag seated properly, but as I racked the slide I saw a round go flying. I looked for it after I finished that run and the primer didn't have any marks on it at all. I guess it must have had some debris in the striker channel, I've had no problems since and that was about 500 rounds ago.

I have a friend that bought a Gen 4 G19 the same time I bought mine and he has had about 3 stovepipes in 1500 rounds.

I like the Gen 4, but I am more accurate and faster with my Gen 3, I guess my Gen 3 is just like an old comfortable pair of blue jeans.

I think you can still get the Gen 3, but you can pick them up used all the time for around $450.

This shows a Gen 3 in the pic, but I would call to clarify.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_43/products_id/13716

Edited by BrasilNuts
Guest twpayne75
I'm starting to see a trend here. A lot of die hard Glock fans seem to dislike the Gen 4, but those who didn't like them previously seem to like the Gen 4.

What a dilemma for Glock, huh? Much of their existing customer base doesn't like the changes that are bringing around a lot of new customers.

Anyone know if they are making both models or has all production switched over to the Gen 4?

Glock is continuing to make both models and has no intentions of stopping production of the Gen 3 any time soon is what they have been saying.

Guest twpayne75

I think you can still get the Gen 3, but you can pick them up used all the time for around $450.

A buddy of mine that owns a gun shop has been selling several new Gen 3 models for $459.

I fought being a Glock fan for many years until I shot several mags through a friends G3 ported G34 and was unbelievably accurate speed shooting. I finally took the plunge & got the G4 G23. The first time I went to the range was actually an IDPA match. I was totally surprised at how accurate I was with a brand new gun. It shot great, felt great, and so accurate I didnt even know how good I was. i am convinced that my other guns (no matter how much i like them & how well they function) are simply not as accurate. Couldnt begin to tell ya if its the grip angle, the gun or both. Following that session, I researched and installed the LoneWolf connector & spring - Holy Cow do I love shooting this gun now! It is phenominal. To go one step further, my wife has never been what I would call accurate with her carry gun or any of my larger models. And - the first time she shot the G23 - yep she was tearing up the target like she'd NEVER done before, so it has to be more than my imagination. Now she loves shooting it.

Glock is continuing to make both models and has no intentions of stopping production of the Gen 3 any time soon is what they have been saying.

That's a very smart move on their part. Unless they share components that work better for on than the other, they seem to have found a way to have teir cake and eat it too.

I have a Gen 4 23. I had a lot of issues with it when I first bought it and I was afraid I got one of the Gen 4 lemons. I finally narrowed the problem down to a single magazine that was causing all my problems. Since removing that mag from the lineup it has been flawless. In my opinion Glock should have left the recoil spring alone. I like the changes to the mag release and the grip but the recoil spring should have been left alone.

I also have a gen 4 26 that has had 1 stovepipe out of ~600-700 rounds.

I have a Gen 4 23. I had a lot of issues with it when I first bought it and I was afraid I got one of the Gen 4 lemons. I finally narrowed the problem down to a single magazine that was causing all my problems. Since removing that mag from the lineup it has been flawless. In my opinion Glock should have left the recoil spring alone. I like the changes to the mag release and the grip but the recoil spring should have been left alone.

I also have a gen 4 26 that has had 1 stovepipe out of ~600-700 rounds.

What is wrong with the recoil spring? Everbody makes design changes over time.

Guest FiddleDog

I've been a Glock fan for some time. One of my first guns was a Gen 3 G19. In an act of complete facepalm, I traded it out and nearly immediately regretted it. I brought a g19 back into my collection, opting for the Gen4, with no problems. Form-wise, there is no real change. With the middle palmswell, it fits the exact same way that the Gen3. I have noticed a slight reduction in recoil, but it's negligible at best. The only real difference that I notice is the trigger. It feels slightly mushy in comparison to the Gen3. In my opinion, the changes end up be a zero-net from the Gen3 to the Gen4 as the grip texture is an improvement, but the trigger is a step backwards.

What is wrong with the recoil spring? Everbody makes design changes over time.

True, but there was no need to mess with the recoil spring and it caused a lot of problems with many Gen 4's. There is zero benefit to having a dual spring IMHO.

Design changes should only be done if there is a good need or reason for doing so.

True, but there was no need to mess with the recoil spring and it caused a lot of problems with many Gen 4's. There is zero benefit to having a dual spring IMHO.

Design changes should only be done if there is a good need or reason for doing so.

There was a reason. It worked for the most part, and they fixed the rest. I guess they could remain stagnant, and let Smith and Wesson get their market back.