Kimber vs Wilson 1911

Guest dakota.d

Guest dakota.d

Im looking at buying a 1911 and stuck on the Kimber Warrior or Wilson Combat X-Tac. Whats yalls thoughts? And if not one of those two choices what do yall suggest? Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I'm lucky that I have a Kimber Warrior that I got from someone who was determined to shoot the finish off of it. He was unsuccessful in the endeavor, But, as such, I don't feel the need to baby it in the slightest, and both carry and shoot the heck out of it. It is a pleasure to shoot and has been completely trouble free.

The Wilson is a better pistol, hands down. But, you could almost have three Warriors for what you're going to pay for one.

If you don't mind paying the custom/semi-custom price then I would go with the Wilson, without question. Kimber makes a fine 1911. I owned two of them, but they were nothing like my CQB.

I wouldn't rule out Nighthawk, Ed Brown, or Les Baer. All of those are top quality. If you don't mind waiting for 8-24 months, I would also mention the Springfield Professional. I should have my SA Pro the first of the year and I originally placed the order in September 2010.

I own both a Wilson CQB and have had four Kimbers. Every Kimber that I have owned has funtioned flawlessly. I have never had a problem with any of them. Kimbers are great handguns, but there is something different about a Wilson Combat. As soon as you hold one and shoot one you will understand what I am talking about.

If you don't mind paying the custom/semi-custom price then I would go with the Wilson, without question. Kimber makes a fine 1911. I owned two of them, but they were nothing like my CQB.

I wouldn't rule out Nighthawk, Ed Brown, or Les Baer. All of those are top quality. If you don't mind waiting for 8-24 months, I would also mention the Springfield Professional. I should have my SA Pro the first of the year and I originally placed the order in September 2010.

My Kimber has been a good pistol but it isn't close to the quality or price of the SA PRO or Wilson. I got my CQB during the 15 month wait for a PRO. Both have been great pistols. If you don't want to spend as much, look at the TRP. Springfield has an excellent warranty and customer service.

IMHO kimber makes a slightly above average gun with excellent cosmetics. The cosmetics jack the price up a bit beyond the level the gun actually shoots at. Wilson is much better, and costs a lot more, as others said. If you put the same grips on every 1911, I could not pick the kimer out from a colt or springfield or anything else in a blind shoot test. I could pick out the wilson.

Guest drv2fst

I know the OP asked about Wilson VS Kimber. I love my Wilson, however, there are several "in-between" options. I hear great things about Dan Wesson's 1911's. I had one for a while and really liked it but did not keep it log enough or shoot it enough to really have a significant opinion. I know several people that REALLY like Ed Brown's 1911's. Each of those brands is 20%-50% more than Kimbers but still MUCH less $ than Wilsons.

Guest Bassman17SC

Man, that WC CQB is a great looking pistol. But, in my opinion, ALL 1911s are great looking pistols. If I had $3K for a new pistol, I would buy the Wilson without batting an eye. I've always liked the all black look.

Guest DELETED

Go for the Kimber and install a WC hammer, slide stop, sear and get a Wolff recoil spring. Use the money you'd save to make an extra house payment. I've fired both and the difference isn't worth another $1.200.