Bersa Thunder 380 reliability ?

Tenifer17

How are these as far as reliability and function ? I am looking at the Bersa Thunder 380 CC . The only thing I dont like is the ILS and the Magazine-safety-disconnect.

The looks are great and so is the grip. It seems to have the blow-back type of action where the barrel is permanantly connected to the frame like my CZ-83.

What do you guys think . Any of you have any experience with them ?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The folks over at BersaChat obviously love 'em, but they may be a little biased...

I did a little internet research a while back, found with more positive than negative reviews.

A lot of folks like it better than the "original" Walther platform and Bersa through Eagle Imports has reported great customer support and outstanding warranty service if you do get a lemon.

Guest packingheat

FWIW, I spoke to a guy at a local gunshop a couple of days ago and he said they had sold over 1000 of the Bersa Thunder 380's and there had only been 3 returned for repairs. Will probably get one for the wife after she shoots one. Probably won't be the CC model though. Just prefer the look and feel of the regular Thunders better.

I had one for a few years before I really got into guns. Can't beat the price! I put about 300 rounds through mine without any issues. The only problem I had was the rear sight screw would wiggle loose and then I'd have to buy a new blade, spring, and screw (always ordered online and got the parts very quickly). A little Locktite would solve that. There are many smaller .380s out there, but it was a pleasure to shoot. Only reason I sold mine was to help fund my Glock 23.

I've shot probably 200-300 rds through mine with no failure at all. I am not real picky about cleaning either, so to be honest with you, I am not sure I have cleaned it since the first cleaning after I bought it. The only con that I see with it is that it sucks buying .380 ammo. My wife has basically claimed mine, so I may be in the market for another one eventually. For the money, they are hard to beat in my opinion.

The little Bersa .380's used to be extremely popular. I think they took a back seat to even tinier .380's like the Kel Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP and such. Now you can buy a 9mm that is as small as a Bersa or even smaller.

That said, the Bersa .380's still serve quite well. They're very concealable, reliable, and inexpensive to purchase. You can usually find them brand new for well under $300, and with the rising popularity of the guns mentioned above they probably won't be getting any more expensive. Heck, if you want to put a set of Crimson Trace lasergrips on your Bersa there's a very good chance the grips will cost you more than the pistol.

I don't own one, but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at one as a CC weapon. The biggest problem I have with .380 is the ammo costs more than 9mm, and I don't want to support Yet Another Caliber.

Guest bluecanary25

The BOSSLADY carries an older model. Very reliable and accurate shooter.

Fits her hand well and not much recoil. Affordable and attractive firearm.

The little Bersa .380's used to be extremely popular. I think they took a back seat to even tinier .380's like the Kel Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP and such. Now you can buy a 9mm that is as small as a Bersa or even smaller.

That said, the Bersa .380's still serve quite well. They're very concealable, reliable, and inexpensive to purchase. You can usually find them brand new for well under $300, and with the rising popularity of the guns mentioned above they probably won't be getting any more expensive. Heck, if you want to put a set of Crimson Trace lasergrips on your Bersa there's a very good chance the grips will cost you more than the pistol.

I don't own one, but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at one as a CC weapon. The biggest problem I have with .380 is the ammo costs more than 9mm, and I don't want to support Yet Another Caliber.

Actually my father in law in Detroit bought a pair(one for him and one for his wife)with CT grips already installed for less that 400 each NIB. Was a sweet deal. The grips retail for about 150. That was a few months ago.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

Guest WingMan380

I have the regular Bersa Thunder 380 (Not the cc version). Very excellent gun, comfortable to carry, fun to shoot. I have a kholster half moon that I used to IWB carry, modified the holster to combat cut and I forget I have it on me. Also got the Galco M7X for OWB carry, and for kicks and giggles I have a shoulder holster. My 11 year old son loves shooting this gun. The only time it has ever FTE was once with my son but he had relaxed his grip, other than that no problems no complaints.

My :shrug:

+1 to everyone's comments. I own a BT380 (standard model). My wife and I take turns using it as our EDC weapon. Shot about 300+ rounds through it, no issues. Great little pistol for the money. I got ours at a local gun show for $250. Very reliable and accurate, fun to shoot.

Guest dubaholic2

only 2 problems ive seen out of them are 1, my buddy has one and if you put the safety on, it doesnt want to let you disengage it. 2, a woman had us send a cc back because the slide wouldnt return fully. for the money they are pretty good little guns.

Wow it is nic to hear all the positives about this gun . I always thought they were jam-o-matics . I have no experience with them but I just thought they were an "odd ball" type company and I never gave them one thought. BUt then again , I used to think that of CZ and now CZ is my favorite along with Glock. WOuld you all think Bersa's reliability is up there with CZ ? Not the accuracy (you cant beat CZ's accuracy) but what about the relaibility compared to CZ ?

I have shot them and like them well enough. With current trends, its a bit of a dinosaur, big gun in a weak caliber as you can get 9mms that are this size and 380s that are at least an inch less in length/height dimensions. However the small 380s in the same price range have stout recoil and heavy triggers, making the bersa VERY attractive over the kel tec and clones, for those who cannot afford or do not like the sig 380. Given my dislike for the DAO 380s, that has me ranking the bersa in the top 5 for this class. #1 is the sig, #2 is a makarov, #3 is the cz82/83, and 4 is bersa. But the cz is fat, so you could easily put the bersa as #3 if fat is a turn off for you.

I gave my wife one a few years back and she loves it!! I have shot the crap out of it and never had a problem.

The only issue that I have ever heard about from customers that bought one is FTF issues ( and this is 2 out of the hundreds we have sold). Quick fix is to polish the ramp if you have this problem and it functions like a champ. (or shoot a few hundred rounds through it).

I gave my wife one a few years back and she loves it!! I have shot the crap out of it and never had a problem.

The only issue that I have ever heard about from customers that bought one is FTF issues ( and this is 2 out of the hundreds we have sold). Quick fix is to polish the ramp if you have this problem and it functions like a champ. (or shoot a few hundred rounds through it).

Thanks for the info . I have bought 3 guns from your store so looks like number 4 is coming up ! I am just trying to get past the ILS thing. I guess it doesnt matter if I just leave it disengaged.

I've had one for about 8 years, it really is a great gun. Countless rounds downrange with all kinds of ammo and never so much as a hiccup. I rarely ever carry it as I have other options that are lighter, smaller in size, bigger in caliber, and have higher capacities. That said dependability wise I wouldn't hesitate to carry it. I'm not a fan of the mouse guns such as the KelTecs and LCPs due to their reliability issues, these bigger .380s like the Bersa seem to be much more reliable.