Stainless Ruger 10/22

MiddTennTaco

I just bought a ruger 10/22 at walmart tonight specifying tye stainless version. I got the stainless and when i got home i realized that it has a stainless barrel and a black paaaainted receiver. I went online to verify its normalcy and all the stainless ones i looked at had stainless receivers, not black, lol. Has this gun been chopped? Lol

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't inspect before walking out? I always look the gun over because Walmart will not accept returns for any reason.

As far as the configuration they can be had in several different flavors depending on the store and distributor.

Yours is as good as one bought anywhere else. There is no validity to the rumor that Walmart sells junk guns. They do not swap or change parts on guns either.

Does it look like this one:

Ruger® 10/22® Distributor Exclusives Autoloading Rifle Model 1237

If so the distributor was AccuSport.

Dolomite

Ruger does make such a 10/22 as a "distrubutor exlcusive". I'm wondering about the display model as well. Did you not inspect what was in the box before leaving?

FYW, the barrel is going to be the only stainless part on any "stainless" 10/22. The receivers are made of aluminum and just painted silver....or black.

And what Dolomite said. :koolaid:

Very true of the receiver,mine was a painted silver and on cleaning it for the first time I noticed inside of the receiver the paint or finish was flaking off.So I completely removed the old finish and polished the receiver to a shiny looking aluminum.Its been that way since I purchased it.And I also bought mine at WalMart a couple of years ago.

IMG_1231.jpg

Its hard to tell from the picture.

Guest Broomhead

If Walmart won't exchange it, you can strip the paint off of the receiver. Then, using gradually smoother grits of wet/dry sandpaper, you can polish it up, finally finishing with Mother's, IIRC. Then if you desire you can follow that up with a few coats of a clear enamel to keep it from dulling from oxidation.

There is also the option of priming the receiver and using a "chrome" or "stainless" paint to make it shiny. Don't know how well it would hold up though.

Serial Number XXX-XXXXX

Ruger Catalog No. K10/22-RPB

S Caliber .22LR

11-1-11 (I'd like to think that means its new? lol)

Model 01240

Stainless W/BLA

That is what the box says. I've since looked it up via catalog number and apparently its normal. Although the model number wasnt on the Ruger site, I did find it in several places elsewhere. YES, I did and do inspect guns before I buy them. At the store though, seeing the stainless barrel and the black receiver, I just thought it was normal. It didn't really catch my eye and I think it looks just fine as it is.

It was when I got home I was kind of wondering what exactly I got because as I was looking at 10/22 accessories I saw a stainless one with what appeared to be a stainless finished receiver also.

I'm actually I'm kind of happy that its painted matte black rather than having silver chips coming of at a later date so no big deal. Thanks for all the information injected with chastisement! Just kidding! lol thanks guys.

....I'm actually I'm kind of happy that its painted matte black rather than having silver chips coming of at a later date so no big deal. ....

The black flakes about as well as the silver. :)

Seriously, especially inside the receiver you'll find a good bit of it for a while as the bolt works back and forth. Generally stays on the outside of the receiver pretty well, though.

- OS

The black flakes about as well as the silver. :)

Seriously, especially inside the receiver you'll find a good bit of it for a while as the bolt works back and forth. Generally stays on the outside of the receiver pretty well, though.

- OS

Thanks for the tip. BTW, I just mounted a reddot on it and ordered some ruger 25 rnders. Adrians Undead Diaries ftw, hahaha

1275446397.jpg

This was a "stainless" Ruger receiver and silver trigger pack. I used Tal-Strip to remove the paint.

I had to wet sand the machine marks out.

41C2uGw89uL._SS500_.jpg

(Don't leave it on too long. It will cause pitting.)

Then I polished it with jewler's rouge to match the ER Shaw barrel.

1276459370.jpg

Speaking of this gun, I almost bought it at Wally World a few weeks ago for $239.00 I believe. I've started shooting .22 precision bench rest at 50 yards at the club and not doing all that great. Most the competitors are using $1,800.00 match .22's w/ bull barrels. Me and my Browning hunting "T" bolt don't stand a chance. Does Ruger sell a super accurate match grade .22 for non-millionaires ? Oh yea, I have a 2-7 power scope on my "T" bolt and everyone else uses 18-24 power magnification. Need a new scope too I guess.

CZ's tend to be one of the more accurate "out of the box" rifles out there. Look at the new 455's as they come with a easily replaceable barrel and are very accurate especailly for the money. You are not going to get a 10/22 as accurate as these for the money.

Semi autos can be problematic when it comes to extreme accuracy. With a 10/22 there is plenty of stuff that can be improved upon to help accuracy.

For a 10/22 here are the mandatory upgrades for accuracy:

Trigger upgrade with Kidd being the best

Match barrel

Set the bolt headspace to .0425" rather than the factory .0450" to help with flyers

Pin the firing pin to remove the up/down movement to help with flyers

Chamfer the rear of the bolt to use subsonic ammo only

Bed the action or bed the barrel

Free float the barrel or free float the action

Upgrade the rings, bases and mounts

Upgrade the stock

Adjustable barrel V block

Angle the nose of the firing pin to reduce flyers

I have done all of this to my 10/22. It will shoot an honest sub 1" group at 100 yards. But because of the nature of how semi autos work they can be inconsistent if not properly set up. These mods can cost anywhere from probably $500 and up not including the cost of the gun.

Dolomite

ETA:

CZ-USA -> CZ 455 Varmint

CZ-USA -> 455 Varmint Evolution

Either of these would be better and cheaper than most 10/22's

CZ's tend to be one of the more accurate "out of the box" rifles out there. Look at the new 455's as they come with a easily replaceable barrel and are very accurate especailly for the money. You are not going to get a 10/22 as accurate as these for the money.

Semi autos can be problematic when it comes to extreme accuracy. With a 10/22 there is plenty of stuff that can be improved upon to help accuracy.

For a 10/22 here are the mandatory upgrades for accuracy:

Trigger upgrade with Kidd being the best

Match barrel

Set the bolt headspace to .0425" rather than the factory .0450" to help with flyers

Pin the firing pin to remove the up/down movement to help with flyers

Chamfer the rear of the bolt to use subsonic ammo only

Bed the action or bed the barrel

Free float the barrel or free float the action

Upgrade the rings, bases and mounts

Upgrade the stock

Adjustable barrel V block

Angle the nose of the firing pin to reduce flyers

I have done all of this to my 10/22. It will shoot an honest sub 1" group at 100 yards. But because of the nature of how semi autos work they can be inconsistent if not properly set up. These mods can cost anywhere from probably $500 and up not including the cost of the gun.

Dolomite

ETA:

CZ-USA -> CZ 455 Varmint

CZ-USA -> 455 Varmint Evolution

Either of these would be better and cheaper than most 10/22's

GOOD GOD MAN!!!! Yoiu make it sound like you strip down to the reciever and throw everything else away. LOL

I would suggest 2 things...

First Rinfire central has hundreds of DIY mods to improvethe performance of the "WW Special"Become a member, shoot in the matches, build your gun, BUT do it slowly so you can guage the improvement that mods or bolt ons make before doing the next mod.a good first suggestion is to stone the sear, disconnect, and trigger to make a smoother trigger pull and replace the stock hold down pins with oversize to reduce/eliminate "slop " and side to side movement on the trigger. , drill the mag release and add an extension. stone and smooth the contact points in the reciver/bolt, BIG improvement. The list is endless.

and second, JUST SHOOT IT! The 22lr iis cheap, enjoy it.

Hillbilly