Flying with a handgun

Guest Nash45

Guest 70below

I've traveled with firearms on a semi regular basis (a couple times a year) and have only once had a problem. I travel out of and back into Knoxville, and have never had them cause any sort of trouble related to having a firearm in the airport as long as its in the locked case when I bring it in, its opened only to place the red "unloaded" tag into the case while a TSA views me verifying the firearm(s) is/are unloaded. You do get a few puzzled looks from other passengers as you have an open firearms case at the baggage checkpoint, but no one gawks. The one problem I referred to has to do with a lost firearm. I was bringing a couple guns home from my parents and they got lost in transit or missed the connecting flight. The Delta baggage assistance employee was very prompt and thorough handling the situation, and though it took him a bit to figure out exactly what needed to be done, he tracked down the location. The one sore matter for me, is that I requested that I be notifed when they arrived so I could pick them up on person. Instead, they gave the case to the delivery company they use for all delayed bags. So my rifles ran around all day in the vehicle of God know's who's vehicle all day, instead of being secured until I could pick them up. That said, I continue to transport by plane.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a friend who checked his Browning 9mm, which was "lost" upon arrival, never to be seen again . . . ship it to yourself. Don't take the chance!

I think the laws have changed where you can't just ship it to yourself anymore.

Isn't it correct that if you ship (FedEX, UPS, etc) a firearm out of state it has to go through an FFL?

I just got back from a trip today, and had my S&W 340PD in my checked luggage. When I left a few days ago, TSA allowed me to keep my ammo--six rounds on a Bianchi Speed Strip, stored in the same hard-sided, locking case as the gun.

When I flew back today, TSA told me that the Speed Strip was not an acceptable method for securing the ammo, and confiscated it.

I've traveled with a variety of handguns over the years, and that's the worst story I have to tell about it.

Isn't it correct that if you ship (FedEX, UPS, etc) a firearm out of state it has to go through an FFL?

Unless it has changed recently you can ship a firearm that you already own to yourself in another state for the purpose of hunting “or other lawful activityâ€.

The problem comes in finding a carrier that will do it. Can’t ship a handgun through the USPS, UPS won’t ship to a non-licensee. Fed-ex might….

It is Federal law that you notify the carrier when shipping a firearm.

Guest 70below

Actually, according to ATF it is legal to ship a firearm to yourself for any legal activity. You must adhere to published rules in regards to carriers however. But it is not necessary to ship through an FFL as long as you are the shipper and the receiver of the firearm. You may ship it to someone else, in care of you, given that the person it is shipped to does not open the package, and merely sets it aside for you to "receive" Following is a few references:

http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

Edit: I got to thinking you may be referring to shipping a firearm out of state to another party (purchaser), in that case you would need to ship through an FFL.

Edited by 70below
added info regarding shipping out of state
Guest Phantom

I recently traveled with American Airlines from CA back to TN with a pistol, and much to my surprise had no probems at all.

Just followed the TSA rules, by using a lockable hard case, gun unloaded, and it went smoothly. The baggage agent made me unlock anc open up the case, so she could see the gun was unloaded,, i put the declaration in the case and locked it back up. Then took my suitcase ahead of the line and straight to the TSA baggage x-ray area to be run thru then off it went.

Had no problems at all, would definately do it again!

If traveling with ammo, hard to say how that would go... i could definately see the baggage agent freaking out... just my 2 cents.. :)

Guest db99wj
Can I use a good strong padlock? , or does it have to be a TSA approved lock??

I would use a TSA approved lock that they can open, if you use a regular lock, they can cut it, then it would have no lock from that point on. I beleive that is what they do on luggage that has a different than the approved TSA locks on them...

One other thing. I field stripped my glock when I put it in the locked container, but kept the spring in my pocket. That way if my pistol was stolen it would be next to useless.

I had no problems, you might also just take a smaller spring from the trigger assembly or other non firearm looking piece.

Unless the forked out a few bucks to replace the spring

True, taking the spring with you would make it inoperable for immediate use (just as some have taken their ammo with them when having to leave their gun in their vehicle) but if someone was taking it for later use or resale getting a new spring would not be that hard.

I would use a TSA approved lock that they can open, if you use a regular lock, they can cut it, then it would have no lock from that point on. I beleive that is what they do on luggage that has a different than the approved TSA locks on them...

Your bag is to stay locked once it has been checked. TSA is not allowed to open it once inspected. Thus the reason they tell you to lock it back and hand you the key.

Guest db99wj
Your bag is to stay locked once it has been checked. TSA is not allowed to open it once inspected. Thus the reason they tell you to lock it back and hand you the key.

Hmm, I was going by what the TSA says on luggage

TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA.

and the part of the handgun rules that state "

We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft.

With that information, I assumed you had to use the TSA approved or accessible lock. I don't know. Defininately something I will call about and ask specifically. I travel about 4 to 6 times a year and am considering doing this.

One other thing. I field stripped my glock when I put it in the locked container, but kept the spring in my pocket. That way if my pistol was stolen it would be next to useless.

I had no problems, you might also just take a smaller spring from the trigger assembly or other non firearm looking piece.

I would think the TSA would freak if they found this in your pocket at the metal detector line. Seems they may think you are attempting to smuggle a gun onboard with the assistance of others, one piece per person.

Would you inform the TSA inspector that you were taking a part out of the gun?

Hmm, I was going by what the TSA says on luggage and the part of the handgun rules that state "

With that information, I assumed you had to use the TSA approved or accessible lock. I don't know. Defininately something I will call about and ask specifically. I travel about 4 to 6 times a year and am considering doing this.

I wouldn't use one of those locks. It's pretty simple. They are goign to inspect your case and make sure everything is packaged correctly which any owner should be present for. Once it's inspected, it's locked back up and cleared. From that point on it should have no reason to be opened back up even by TSA. Now if you choose not to be present then I guess they have the authority to what is necessary to open the case.

Guest tadams
I wouldn't use one of those locks. It's pretty simple. They are goign to inspect your case and make sure everything is packaged correctly which any owner should be present for. Once it's inspected, it's locked back up and cleared. From that point on it should have no reason to be opened back up even by TSA. Now if you choose not to be present then I guess they have the authority to what is necessary to open the case.

I would like for this to be true. It definitely sounds reasonable. Has anybody experienced otherwise?

• 1 month later...
Guest bhoneycutt

Bringing back a old thread but didnt want to start a new one again for the same thing. I just Flew with southwest from Nashville to Tampa and Tampa back to Nashville. I had no problems. the way i had it packed was in the hard sided case i bought the pistol in. I also had a 25 pack of golden sabers in the same case in the original box. I locked my suit case aswell as the hardsided case with two different locks that used the same key. Then inside the case i locked the gun with the slide back so they could see it was unloaded. All they did was have me unlock my suitcase and put a piece of paper i had to fill out on top of the firearm case. Didnt even look at the gun. They ran it through xray and gave me the go ahead to continue on to my gate. no problems at all. I printed out all the info but I didnt need it.

• 3 weeks later...

Question about ammo and second gun.

I'm leaving for Arizona on Monday for vacation. Taking my XD9 and mini revolver.

Can both guns be in same case?

The ammo is in the Mfg boxes so can it simpley be placed in the suitcase outside of any other locked container?

I called US Airways and got someone who couldn't speak a lick of English.

Question about ammo and second gun.

I'm leaving for Arizona on Monday for vacation. Taking my XD9 and mini revolver.

Can both guns be in same case?

The ammo is in the Mfg boxes so can it simpley be placed in the suitcase outside of any other locked container?

I called US Airways and got someone who couldn't speak a lick of English.

Yes, you can have multiple guns in the same case.

When we travel, We use a Storm Case which has designated slots for 4 handguns and all related ammo.

Never had any issues with the airlines, but we do get weird looks by the people behind us in line as I lock and show clear on four different guns. :tough:

Thanks Hero Gear,

That brings up something else - I know you have to show them the gun is unloaded so I assume you have to remove the gun from the box and rack the slide. I don't especially feel comfortable doing that in a building with people standing around. Seems to go against my comfort level with safety concerns. But I guess you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Any thoughts on where to store the ammo? In the Mfg box inside the suitcase, not locked up seperately?