New barrel break in?

What do you guys think about breaking in a new barrel? I have read many articles and postings on other forums, and it seems about 50% say to follow one set of break in steps or another..while the other 50% say it is not necessary and will actually shorten the lifespan of the barrel... I would like to hear some of your thoughts/tips on this issue. I have a newly assembled 9mm AR that I am wanting to treat right so it will last a long time.

Thanks in advance!:)

I realized after submitting that this should prob be in the Maint section...doh...Could a Moderater please move this?

Edited by jeepster106
posted in wrong section
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbuck_tn

I personally have never really understood nor have I ever read any physics behind the break-in procedure.

It would seem to me that as a bullet is travelling a couple of thousand feet per second down a barrel with a relatively soft (in comparison to barrel steel) material, any imperfections that you have in the barrel will immediately be filled with material from the bullet. Coming back in and cleaning it out and then doing it again and again seems like a waste of time.

To me you should wait until the deposits of material get to the point that your accuracy has started to suffer then clean out the material. Especially since the very next shot is going to fill it right back up again.:confused:

I would also think that if you were scrubbing it down to the bare metal after x number of shots you were going to eventually make one to many passes and start removing barrel metal along with the bullet refuse.

Now if you used a lapping compound on your bullets that will of course clean out those imperfections right fast, along with a section of your barrel rifling too.:rolleyes:

My advice (which is worth exactly what you paid for it) shoot it. Clean it if it acts funny.

Guest bigbuck_tn

Don't forget.

Any type of lapping/polishing/etc is removing material from your barrel that can't be put back in. If you do it wrong....

I have had alot of experience "lapping" surfaces, usually to eliminate 2 and 3 microns of variation in measurements. I have had alot of Son of a %)^#@ ARRGGHH!!!!!! moments.

I have read articles that say those lapping bullets really help a barrel that leads/coppers up really bad but I wouldn't use them until it was the last resort.

I worry that I would be the guy that got the 7 or 8 grains of the wrong grit size in my last pass and now I have 7 new non-concentric,variable depth, random twist rifling grooves that are even worse that what I started with and now I have 200 microns less rifling lands than I had before. Son of #$%^& ARRGGHH!!!!!!!!:)