WheresGeorge.com

analog_kidd

Anybody ever find Dollar bills with the Where's George stamps on them?

There is a web site, www.wheresgeorge.com , where you can register the unique serial number on a dollar bill, then when other people find it, they can visit the same site and log in where they found it. It's kind of a neat thing to do. You can track all the places the bill has traveled. I've never registered one myself, but I have found several and logged them in to the web site.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see bills all of the time at work. I work PT at a grocery and my job is to balance cashiers and balance the store after closing so I see quite a few. I just write the numbers down and post them later at home. I've never marked bills and been the 1st entry but if you believe some of the comments some guys have done thousands but I have serious doubts about that!

It also seems that most bills seem to come from strip clubs too but that's another that I doubt.

I started marking bills in the Fall of 2007. So far I have marked 248 bills and have had 29 bills hit with a total of 32 hits (some bills get more than one hit). So about a 10% success rate for me. I used to mark them more regularly, now, not so much. I try to mark all my cash before traveling. That way I don't end up with matches 30 miles away. It's kind of a let down to see an email that I got a hit, then to find out it was at a gas station in Hendersonville.

It's surprizing to me, but a lot of the ones I found have ended with me. I think I started finding and logging them about 4 years ago, and most just seem to end with me. I'm the last entry they ever get logged with. I'm always eager to see where they go, so I make sure to put them back into circulation right away.

This tells me that the bills don't get logged in by other people because either:

1. People just aren't observant and don't see the stamps on the bill.

2. People are skeptical and don't log them in.

3. Banks get them, see that they are defaced and send them back to the Reserve to be destroyed.

4. People just horde them and don't circulate them. Doubtful with Ones, though.

Anyway, I'm really surprized it hasn't caught on more.

My thing is, I never have cash these days, actually years. All I use is plastic. The last place that only accepted cash that I did business with was my barber shop. When the economy started to tank my barber said that a lot of guys would be having their hair cut at home. That planted the seed for me to do the same. Since then, I've gone all plastic.

Edited by Gun Smith