Educate me on AR 22lr's

buck1032

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had outstanding results with my Tac Solutions 22lr. dedicated upper. I believe 1/12 threaded...comes on and off easily to switch to 5.56/.223. I've had 3+K rounds thru mine and still runs like a champ. I've heard good things and some troubles from the CMMG and Tac Solutions drop-ins.

The M&P 15-22 from all the reviews seems like a solid set-up. (a lot of variations from the most simple to the camo/ muzzle brk threaded barrel with vltor buttstock)

The Sig .22lr rifle (522) has also been rated very high on the list. I've only shot that one a few times and it ran 100%.

I've only used the blackdog magazines so far but they have been 100% as well.

I'm not going to get bench-rest accuracy with these, but that was never my goal in the 1st place... They all are fairly accurate for .22lr rifles. :)

Guest steve24

I've got the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 and I love it!

All the controls are the same as any AR-type rifle and any AR accessories will fit it (I've added a Hogue grip to mine since this pic). I've also added a cheap red-dot optic to mine and it's very accurate.

I actually had mine out this past weekend and had a ball with it. I would highly recommend the M&P to anyone looking for an AR-style .22.

2011-10-22_10-54-01_596.jpg

I have the CMMG quebec, and I like it a lot. I looked at the S&W MP15-22, and would have got it, but I was looking for a little different experience out of mine. Main reason I chose the CMMG was it has a mil spec lower. This was my first step for the AR platform and I wanted to be able to upgrade later and learn the platform. The CMMG is also closer to the weight of a real AR. I knew I could not go wrong with either, I just chose the CMMG for the ability to have another complete rifle instead of a dedicated .22 rifle. I have already bought a stripped lower and am planning my first build, but I can take my time now.

Own and love the S&W

Pros

Fun

Accurate

Fun

Inexpensive

Fun

Cheap Ammo

Cheap Fun

Can be used all day at most indoor ranges

Fun

Functions same as standard AR

F...well...you get the idea.

Cons, Only one I can think of is its dedicated platform.

I have a S&W and love it. It seems to go to the range every time we go.

I have 5 magazines that were around $18.00 each, which are cheaper than most. Mounted a cheap red dot. My Son can go through a brick of .22's in no time. If you want to se a huge smile on a Kid's face (or a Adult) get one.

My Son can go through a brick of .22's in no time. If you want to se a huge smile on a Kid's face (or a Adult) get one.

My son is 5 and the AR 22 would soon become his. I am going to get him a Henry Youth first and let him work his way up to the AR.

I hadnt thought about having it being a dedicated 22lr. I guess I will have to think on the CMMG one for a while. LOL Thanks fellas!

I have a S&W and love it. It seems to go to the range every time we go.

I have 5 magazines that were around $18.00 each, which are cheaper than most. Mounted a cheap red dot. My Son can go through a brick of .22's in no time. If you want to se a huge smile on a Kid's face (or a Adult) get one.

This past summer, we had a family gathering at the ranch. I brought my AR-15 and my 15-22 thinking the women and kids would want to shoot it. Less than 90 rounds were fired from the AR-15, but almost 3 bricks of .22 were used. Most of that was from the grown men.

If you already have an AR buy a dedicated 22 upper or even a conversion kit. CMMG makes a decent one for a decent price. Even if you don't own an AR I would get one that can accept a 5.56 upper later on. The S&W cannot accept the 5.56 upper. I have used a kit in a 5.56 upper and it worked well. I had well over 15K rounds through it before I built my dedicated. The dedicated has well over 5K through it now without any issues.

Dolomite

Guest Blown4v

Had a buddy bring a colt over a while back to shoot and it had repeated failures to eject, pretty much every round. We tried different mags and different ammo, after that I kind of dismissed the AR 22 platform, UNTIL this last weekend a buddy brought over the MOE MP 15/22 and it worked flawlessly. Fun little gun, I may buy one just for the cheap plinking

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

My oldest son got a Colt M4-22 today, and I can now give a report of it. It had two stovepipes with the first mag, and no more failures ofter that, with the entire family burning several hundred rounds through it. It is more than accurate enough for plinking, buy I've yet to really test it's accuracy potential. I can recommend one wholeheartedly! I like it because it has a dustcover, forward assist, and other options found on a genuine M4 that are absent some other models. I also like the picture of the pony on the side.

I have the CMMG stainless conversion that has worked pretty well with Federal. I think I paid $130 on TGO with 2 25 round mags. I am considering a dedicated upper, but the CMMG works so well I will likely just get a 1/12 threaded barrel and keep the bolt.

I will add my two cents worth on this, I have a M&P 15-22 and I love it, I have never had it jam that I can remember, but I also have the Sig 522 that I bought used and I like it more than the 15-22, because it is a little heavier and feels more like a centerfire rifle when you handle it. Most of the time I take both rifles to the range but if I can only take one the Sig is the one going with me.