More MAIG / BLOOMBERG attempted entrapment.... "illegal" on-line gun sales

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I have is they list cfraigslist as a site that sells weapons. It is strictly forbidden and the ad will come down within minutes of being posted. maybe they are confusing airsoft with real weapons.

I was at a dealer this past week picking up ammunition. He told me and another customer that it is illegal for individuals to sell or trade guns. This was after I showed interest in buying the other customer's gun he was trying to sell. The dealer also said you have no way of knowing if the person is a felon. I told him that my bill of sale included a statement saying the buyer was not prohibited from owning a gun. The dealer said that didn't matter. He said individuals should have to follow the same rules as dealers.

When the other customer asked about checking to see if a gun he just purchased was stolen. The dealer then told the customer that he shouldn't check to see if a gun was stolen. He said if it was, the gun would be taken and that is was better to not know than loose a the gun.

Dolomite

Wow this story pisses me off. The way it's written an uneducated reader would assume these people simply purchase the firearms over the internet completely anonymous:

From the article:

"You don't even really know who you're dealing with over the Internet," Cordle said. "It could be a 13-year-old, for all you know. How are you going to prove it's the same guy who sold it or talked to you about it, without you seeing them?"

Complete propoganda. Besides, this "probe" was launched by people who already had their mind made up before they did it with the purpose to create panic and draw attention to something that is already against the law. How scientific is this "probe". They say 63% of sellers were willing to commit a felony by selling to someone who couldn't pass a backround check. That is an impossible number; what qualified as "willing" in the first place?

I'm still not seeing the difference between a private seller advertising the sale of his firearm online or putting an ad in the paper. Isn't that what people did before Al Gore invented the internet?

Guest Lester Weevils
From the article:

"You don't even really know who you're dealing with over the Internet," Cordle said. "It could be a 13-year-old, for all you know. How are you going to prove it's the same guy who sold it or talked to you about it, without you seeing them?"

Complete propoganda. Besides, this "probe" was launched by people who already had their mind made up before they did it with the purpose to create panic and draw attention to something that is already against the law. How scientific is this "probe". They say 63% of sellers were willing to commit a felony by selling to someone who couldn't pass a backround check. That is an impossible number; what qualified as "willing" in the first place?

That may be so, but I read the explanation by both the ATF agent Cordle and the Maryville police chief as dismissive of the bloomberg "investigation". Them explaining that there is nothing prosecutable turned up in the "investigation".

The problem I have is they list cfraigslist as a site that sells weapons... Dolomite

The problem I have is that nothing that happens outside New York City is any of Bloombergs business. Any Governor that believes in States rights should be calling for Bloomberg to mind his own business.

The problem I have is they list cfraigslist as a site that sells weapons. It is strictly forbidden and the ad will come down within minutes of being posted. maybe they are confusing airsoft with real weapons.

I was at a dealer this past week picking up ammunition. He told me and another customer that it is illegal for individuals to sell or trade guns. This was after I showed interest in buying the other customer's gun he was trying to sell. The dealer also said you have no way of knowing if the person is a felon. I told him that my bill of sale included a statement saying the buyer was not prohibited from owning a gun. The dealer said that didn't matter. He said individuals should have to follow the same rules as dealers.

When the other customer asked about checking to see if a gun he just purchased was stolen. The dealer then told the customer that he shouldn't check to see if a gun was stolen. He said if it was, the gun would be taken and that is was better to not know than loose a the gun.

Dolomite

Sounds like this dealer subscribes to the Bob Pope line of reasoning, and would lose any business I would have done with him thereafter.

Sounds like this dealer subscribes to the Bob Pope line of reasoning, and would lose any business I would have done with him thereafter.

He has. I will never step foot in his shop again. Up to this poitn I had tolerated his smart assed comments but no more. And honestly I spent a fair amount of money in his shop on hard to find stuff.

I called the same dealer asking about the cost of transfers. He asked what I was transfering and I asked why it would matter. He said it does. So I told him a dedicated AR receiver in 9mm. He said an AR in 9mm was so stupid. I again asked him how much the transfer would be. He said for such a stupid thing he would have to charge $100.

BTW, this same shop was working on a customer's gun. A 1911 with cycling issues. The shop said they think they fixed the cycling issue by cutting several coils off the recoil spring in order to make it lighter. I just chuckled realizing he probably just increased the problem as well as charging the customer for a hack fix. In the end the customer is probably gonig to have to buy more parts to fix stupid.

Dolomite

He has. I will never step foot in his shop again. Up to this poitn I had tolerated his smart assed comments but no more. And honestly I spent a fair amount of money in his shop on hard to find stuff.

I called the same dealer asking about the cost of transfers. He asked what I was transfering and I asked why it would matter. He said it does. So I told him a dedicated AR receiver in 9mm. He said an AR in 9mm was so stupid. I again asked him how much the transfer would be. He said for such a stupid thing he would have to charge $100.

BTW, this same shop was working on a customer's gun. A 1911 with cycling issues. The shop said they think they fixed the cycling issue by cutting several coils off the recoil spring in order to make it lighter. I just chuckled realizing he probably just increased the problem as well as charging the customer for a hack fix. In the end the customer is probably gonig to have to buy more parts to fix stupid.

Dolomite

Are you able to provide some clues (or identify directly) as to which dealer quoted the $100 transfer fee to you ?

Guest SW9VEman
Are you able to provide some clues (or identify directly) as to which dealer quoted the $100 transfer fee to you ?

Sounds like my run in's at a store in West Knoxville near a Stower's business...

Admittedly it IS against Cragslist policy sell guns on there, but it does go on. I have sold several myself. One must be a bit vague and sneak about it, but it can be done. The last one I sold on there was sold under a set of reloading dies. I listed the dies [which are perfectly okay to sell] and in the last line I wrote, I also had a matching unloading tool. It sold the next day. Only intelligent people really get the innuendo so that's a good thing too. I'm not saying it's right, but I've managed to pick up a few bargains on there. A few Mossberg pumps I've had came fro, craigslist and I got them for a good price. Too boot, everyone I have dealt with had no problem with a bill of sale and showing ID. There are a bunch of flag nazis on there that flag everything, I call them flaggots. They come and go, but a group of them will get together and flag anything that they don't like. Doesn't matter if it's against the rules or not they flag it. I used to war with them about keeping my ads posted, but it's easier to disappear and repost it later, with totally different wording.

You just have to be crafty in your listing or your searches. Obviously searching guns or rifles will get you nowhere. The last Mossberg I bought was listed under tools as a cat dispatching tool. :tough: You also have lead launchers, bang bangs, don't forget obvious misspellings too.

Good luck and don't get caught, they will ban your IP address.