1911 compact carry

jcoosi

So I have have went all 1911 except for my one wheel gun.I rotate them out but I have been wanting to go smaller since all mine are full size.I woud like to stay on the 1911 platform.Just curious what some of you all carry.Thanks

PS-- I am no brand basher since I own a springer loaded,sig tacops,and dan wesson pointman7

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to carry my Kimber compact (4") all the time. It's very manageable and easy to conceal and still has a full size "feel" to it. I was going to go with an sub compact, but I shot a buddy's in a different brand and my hands were just too big to get a comfortable grip for me. I have chimp fingers so it wasn't right for me.

Guest Scramasax

For a small 1911 I chose a Colt new Agent. I normally cann't see the sights very well due to diabetes anyway. So I line up the frame. The best compromize for those who are used to a full size or Commander size 1911 iis one of Sigs C3 or COlt cco Commander slide with officers length frame. Yes the grip is shorter and doesn't fit as well as a full size. This is the compromise that you get from a smaller pistol.

Cheers,

ts

FWIW any 1911 smaller than a Colt Commander just doesn't feel right to me. I owned a Colt Officer's Model for several year's (wish I'd kept it now) and could shoot it fine but the Combat Commander felt better. The Commander (LW) is very comfortable to carry and shoot which is why it has alway's been a savy pistol shooter's choice.

I had a super nice Colt Combat Commander stolen from my hopuse several years ago. It had been put up and I didnt even have a clue it was gone until fairly recently. I had moved several years ago, and thought it was lost somewhere in the move. Ive recently decided that it is gone. It was brushed stainless finish with black rubber grips. S/N is 70SC10647. I would dearly love to have that gun back as it had a sentimental attachment. It was never reported stolen, because like i said i thught it was stored away. Is it too late to report it stolen? I have NO suspects on this...

Edited by barewoolf

I have a Colt Defender and, up until last week, a Kimber Ultra Carry. Both are 3" guns, very compact, but even with my chunky hands, easy to grip and control. I highly recommend any of the 3" or 3.5" 1911, just take time to break them in. While I didn't experience any issues, the baby frames are notorious for being badly behaved right out of the box.

Mac

Guest drv2fst
i carry a SW1911 Pro Series Subcompact (little 3 incher). Great gun. Big fan. I can highly recommend it.

This gun is on my wish list for a new EDC. Has it been reliable? With any ammo? Is it punishing to shoot (.45 in a small light frame)?

If you don't mind going the 9mm route, the Colt New Agent or Colt New Agent Talo are both good options. I have the New Agent (no sights) and have a CT grip on there for my carry gun. If you'd rather have sights, you can get the Talo edition. It is pretty concealable and I'm a small person. Most friends are surprised to find out I've been carrying around then. So far *knock on wood* it has been reliable on the range. You'll just have to find ammo that will feed properly through your gun....I've owned officer sized .45's in the past and I think the 9mm is a better round for that size on the 1911 platform.

I purchased a metro arms American classic commander with a four inch barrel and after about 50 rnds thru each magazine it eats everything I have fed it and is on its way to becoming my primary carry gun.

JTM🔫

Sent from my iPhone

On this past Wednesday evening I compared my Colt Combat Commander to a Kimber of about the same size (sorry I dont know the model). They were practly identicial in size but the Kimber's grip was a bit thicker - more round. The Kimber fit my cousin better and my Colt him... try quite a few different brands to see which is best for you.

All the way home all I could think of was why didn't I ask him if he wanted to trade.... I got the Colt for a very, VERY good deal. I love it and think it is a thing of beauty. It almost makes me ill thinking that I really should trade him.

Guest FiddleDog
This gun is on my wish list for a new EDC. Has it been reliable? With any ammo? Is it punishing to shoot (.45 in a small light frame)?

I didn't think that the recoil was bad at all. I'm not really recoil sensitive, so I'm not sure if I'm a decent barometer. It is a sweet shooter, and it makes me look like a better shooter than I normally am. If you get one (provided you can find one), you will be one happy shooter.

PS, I've run 300 trouble free rounds - mixed bag of HP (Golden Saber, Hornady TAP (+p and regular) and Ball (WWB and Richmond Arms) - weights ranging from 185g - 230g).

Edited by FiddleDog
I had a super nice Colt Combat Commander stolen from my hopuse several years ago. It had been put up and I didnt even have a clue it was gone until fairly recently. I had moved several years ago, and thought it was lost somewhere in the move. Ive recently decided that it is gone. It was brushed stainless finish with black rubber grips. S/N is 70SC10647. I would dearly love to have that gun back as it had a sentimental attachment. It was never reported stolen, because like i said i thught it was stored away. Is it too late to report it stolen? I have NO suspects on this...

How about retiring, selling your house, moving 300 miles away and a few months later remembering you left a Browning .380 hidden on top of some duct work in your ex-basement?

Guest Travtastik

Oh man Dennis that sucks.

When I moved a few months ago a guy helping me placed a old muzzle loader behind the seat of the uhaul I rented. About a week later I got a call asking me if I left a rifle in the truck. A customer found it and thought it was important because it was all rusted. I can't imagine losing something of value.