Have knife prices dropped?

I went to a show today, and while I've not purchased many pocket knives lately, I did look at some, and I was surprised at their prices. I picked up an old John Primble and a Challenge Cut Co. that were both very nice for less than I thought one was worth. I passed on what I thought were several other bargains as well. If you're interested, the show is in Cave City, Ky., and was a very good show.

Maybe I did good, or maybe the poor economy has struck the knife collecting world as well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it all depends on what knives you are looking at. Most of the knives I fool with have not dropped. In fact, some have skyrocketed in price. Some of the knives I bought early last year I can now make an excellent profit. For example, I bought my brand new CR Shadow IV from a CR authorized dealer and paid full retail, which was a little under $300. I would now have no problem getting over $400 for it.

I couldn't say about + $125 knives, or custom knives period, but sure seems you get a helluva lot more knife for $20-100 these days than ever before from the better known production houses Spyderco, Kershaw, Buck, Cold Steel, etc.

Not being a knife snob, I've got a $115 Spydie Military and a $23 Kershaw Tremor in back pockets. Both are great values for the money, but must admit the PRC Kershaw is for all practical purposes all I'd need in a knife of this size and can find no fault with it whatsoever. I suppose technology has really leveled the playing field in the mid price ranges, whether folders or fixed blades.

- OS

Not being a knife snob, I've got a $115 Spydie Military and a $23 Kershaw Tremor in back pockets. Both are great values for the money, but must admit the PRC Kershaw is for all practical purposes all I'd need in a knife of this size and can find no fault with it whatsoever. I suppose technology has really leveled the playing field in the mid price ranges, whether folders or fixed blades.

Got a question for you. I wasn't familiar with the Kershaw Tremor, so I had to look it up. That is a fairly heavy knife. I also noticed it has the same G10 scaling as the 350 and has a spring assist. You participated in the 350 pass-around. How does the speed assist compare on the Tremor to the ZT? A few of the guys in the plant where I work like the 350 I showed them, but $90 - 110 is still a lot of money for a knife for most people.

Got a question for you. I wasn't familiar with the Kershaw Tremor, so I had to look it up. That is a fairly heavy knife. I also noticed it has the same G10 scaling as the 350 and has a spring assist. You participated in the 350 pass-around. How does the speed assist compare on the Tremor to the ZT? A few of the guys in the plant where I work like the 350 I showed them, but $90 - 110 is still a lot of money for a knife for most people.

Oh, maybe the ZT is a little faster if you have a way to measure milliseconds? I actually tightened the Tremor's pivot to where there's absolutely NO side play as hard as I can wiggle it (a particular quirk of mine) and I may have slowed it down a tad, I dunno. Blade is longer than 350 also, though, so lose a dab of speed there. But at half a second or so, it's plenty fast enough for me. :D

Matter of fact I have 3 or 4 of the Chinese assisted opening Kershaws: Oso Sweet, Compound (I really like this one too), Asset, Clash (Clash is poor man's ZT 350, resembles it, same blade length, much lighter than Tremor), etc. They're all quite fast.

Here are videos of Tremor reviews: look fast enough for ya? :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=kershaw+tremor+review&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=5ci&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=vid&ei=J_EIT96fNIygtweIoZHQBg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=4&ved=0CBYQ_AUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1491&bih=793&ech=1ψ=J_EIT96fNIygtweIoZHQBg.1325986075866.3&emsg=NCSR&noj=1&ei=LPEIT47dJISltwfQ5-yTDg

Oh, here's Clash videos, might be a good choice also, very 350ish, I'm quite impressed with it also, especially since the Tremor is a Large Knife, too large for many if not most folks to feel comfy with methinks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kershaw+clash+review&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=e4N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=vid&ei=0fIIT4KqJcH3tgf9_4HHAQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=4&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAw&biw=1491&bih=793

best,

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

to the OP Ihave noticed that the prices are down somewhat on the older knives on ebay.Just the other day a Case Tested XX Folding Hunter with Rough Cut scales in pretty good cond. only went for around $75.Thats a knife that in mint cond. is worth $4-$500.

I moved back to slip joints, but I don't really collect. I'm as happy with a RR or a Bear and Son as I am a Case. I go for different styles. A Trapper is going to be my next purchase. I do wish more makers would move back to 1095 and away from stainless. I guess I'm a bit old school about that.

I went to a show today, and while I've not purchased many pocket knives lately, I did look at some, and I was surprised at their prices. I picked up an old John Primble and a Challenge Cut Co. that were both very nice for less than I thought one was worth. I passed on what I thought were several other bargains as well. If you're interested, the show is in Cave City, Ky., and was a very good show.

Maybe I did good, or maybe the poor economy has struck the knife collecting world as well.

Greg,

I myself have seen price drops in several Older style knives. I think it may have something to do with the fact that there are so many new styles and quality makers out there. I wish the prices would drop on the ones that I go after but I just do not see that happening any time soon

Edited by willis68

My almost daily carry is a Svord Peasant and I don't have a rusting problem. The other two knives I carry are a Camillus TL29 (Carbon Steel) and a RR Utility Knife (Think Scout Pocket Knife and it's Stainless). Now they do have a patina, which I like.

My almost daily carry is a Svord Peasant and I don't have a rusting problem. The other two knives I carry are a Camillus TL29 (Carbon Steel) and a RR Utility Knife (Think Scout Pocket Knife and it's Stainless). Now they do have a patina, which I like.

I don't know what steel is in the Peasant or Camillus. The Peasant comes with black smeared coating on upper side of blade to retard corrosion, figuring that the bottom side will get maintained with use.

All steels have carbon of course. Chromium content is what makes them stainless. Different versions of low or no chromium steel rust at different rates, but they all certainly will oxidize (rust) without maintenance. Add moisture, or at worst salty moisture, and they rust faster. I've got a Mora that has rust spots and it's never been out of my office. Got a big oddball Mora that I use in the kitchen, also an Old Hickory, both are probably 1050-1095 range, have but force patina on them with mustard and later pure vinegar, both now quite dark, but still get some rust on them within a day or so if I don't dry them off after use.

Yeah, you can get a patina over time on any non stainless knife, but bottom line is the average joe who EDCs something wants it to stay shiny, or black, with no tarnish whether maintained or not.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I guess I'm different. I work mine and don't mind them looking worked. I also like them sharp. I can get stainless sharp, but it's a pain compared to sharpening 1095.

I've come to like the various Sandvik steels, the old reliable 440c and Buck's 420HC, and also 8CR13MOV as great in-between and all around choices in folders. Corrosion resistant, edge holding quite acceptable, pert easy to redo sharp as bejesus, etc.

- OS

edit: oops, off topic again. Just shows how boring the original one was, I guess. :D

Edited by OhShoot