THP speeding ticket

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1975.. Christmas... DFW airport... Driving my friends new Corvette 'cause he was passed out in the passenger seat. 24 empty beer cans in the back. I was on leave from the Army and the cop let me off with a promise to slow down.... Doin' about 80 in a 45. I fear today I would have spent the night in jail and paid a heavy financial price.

I can only recall 2 speeding tickets in my life but the worst was over 20 years ago in Bell county Tx. I was active duty Army then and had just reached the 500 mile break in on my newly rebuilt engine in my 68 nova and I wanted to see what it would do. I was already on the road and as the odometer hit 500 I punched it and was running 110 in a 45. As I topped a hill there sat deputy dog. I just kept it gonig for another mile or so and finally pulled over to wait for the cop. He finally showed up a few minutes later and I sat with all my papers in hand. He wrote me a ticket for 110 and told me I had to appear in court. Now at this time I had just gotten orders to go to Germany and I told the judge this. He wanted to bury under the jail for wreckles but since I was leaving he fined me well over $600 and told me I had better not get another ticket in his county. Well as it turns out I did it again, this time 75 in a 55. I certainly did not want to spend my last few weeks in jail before going to Germany so I thought it out carefuly cause I knew then I was in serious trouble with the judge. I figured if I wait it out till the day before I left Tx I would sneak in the court house late in the day and just simply pay the ticket with the court clerk. It worked, I was off the hook and was never happier to get out of Texas as I was at the point. I traveled from Tx to Chicago to store my car before leaving the country and I must say I stayed the speed limit the entire trip.

A lot of speeding tickets (going 5-10 MPH over limit) are nothing more than another "tax" on otherwise law abiding citizens. I've had my fair share of speeding tickets and love the way officers like to hide at the bottom of a hill. It's extremely hard to drive 30 MPH down some of the hills in our great state.

I abide by the 5-9 rule and haven't been pulled over in about a decade, with the exception of driving in New Jersey, which in my defense is impossible NOT to get pulled over in NJ if you are from a state that makes sense. Still, I haven't been issued a ticket since I was in my teens; they usually just issued a warning. Not that I really care if someone pushes the envelope (so long as it isn't to the point of reckless) of the law, but c'mon; don't get pissed at the cops when they nab ya! You know they're out there, and that's their job, so getting pulled over for speeding is your choice.

Guest WyattEarp
Help please! Can any one fix a 79 in a 55 highway patrol speeding ticket? Just kidding! Sucker got me at 5 am this morning. This is gonna hurt.

got one for 82 in a 70 in 2008. had put new gears in my mustang, and my speedo was off despite having a calibration box. Judge was going to allow me to go to the 8 hour traffic school class to keep it off my record, but when I showed her how the calibration box was defective, she dismissed it all together.

that's the last speeding ticket I have had. I watch my speed though, no need to go jetting around everywhere.

Guest WyattEarp
My last one was in Centerville,Tn for 55 in a 50 and the trooper even admitted its a confusing section of road since its 50 on this side of the road but 55 on the other side. This was a 2 lane road. Cost me 185.

for 5 over?? dang, sounds like a tough cookie of an officer. usually they're pretty lenient 5-7 over.

for 5 over?? dang, sounds like a tough cookie of an officer. usually they're pretty lenient 5-7 over.

Honestly, its the only time in my life I can truthfully say I think I deserved a warning. I thought I was doing the right thing and he even admitted its a confusing area. I have a lot of law enforcement in my family and I was once myself, but I lost all respect for THP on that day.