All hooked up

Guest Spurhunter

Glad I found this thread, the wife has been bugging me to go and get a study done, and just reading this is making me exhausted, so I know its time to get it looked at. I THINK I get good sleep, but cant get past 1:00 in the afternoon unless I drop an energy drink sometime about 10AM.

I have been on mine for 7 years now and have only had to go one night without it when the power went out. I travel for work so I have 2. One for home and one for travel. Currently I have a resmed C9 for home and a RemStar M series for travel. Both work great. If you travel and need a travel unit you can look on craigslist and have your DME set it for you or learn to set it yourself.

The Swift LT nasal pillows work well for me but that's just me. I could never get a good seal with a full mask or nasal mask due to facial hair.

Good luck with it. I hope it works out soon for you.

Guest Lester Weevils
I went in at 8pm, got hooked up around 9:30, laid down at 10:30, couldn't get to sleep so they gave me half of a Lunesta pill, fell asleep, got woken up around 3am, got hooked up to the machine, and got woken up at 7 with a really really nasty taste in my mouth from the pill. Was told I got around 3 good hours of deep sleep after I put on the mask but still felt better off of that measly 3 hours of deep sleep than I ever felt off of 8-10 hours of restless, light sleep.

That sounds good that some clinics will use a sleeping pill when necessary nowadays. My test was long ago. Maybe they have improved the test techniques. Kinda hard to test sleep if the subject can't sleep.

Just had my first nights sleep with my new machine and wow what a difference! Took a little bit to get used to mask but all in all I think I'll be getting some much better rest from here on out. Found out from my insurance provider that I can try a new mask once every 30 days to see if I like it and even get to keep it! They will also replace the mask every 6 months if it breaks and I get all new stuff like hoses and cushions every three months if I need them. This sucker even has a cellular modem on it that reports my sleep results to the doc's office everyday if they need to make adjustments. Only negative was that my dog almost attacked me when I stepped out of the bathroom with my mask on. Had to do a little convincing but other than that all is well! ;)

Guest Lester Weevils
Glad I found this thread, the wife has been bugging me to go and get a study done, and just reading this is making me exhausted, so I know its time to get it looked at. I THINK I get good sleep, but cant get past 1:00 in the afternoon unless I drop an energy drink sometime about 10AM.

Yep its worth checking it out. The doc may decide to test other stuff before a sleep test.

After wife badgered me into going to a sleep doc, the sleep doc not only worked on the apnea angle and ruled out other possibilities, he detected type II diabetes and referred me to an internist for that. Stuff like diabetes will wring you out as much as apnea or numerous other stuff.

Just had my first nights sleep with my new machine and wow what a difference! Took a little bit to get used to mask but all in all I think I'll be getting some much better rest from here on out. Found out from my insurance provider that I can try a new mask once every 30 days to see if I like it and even get to keep it! They will also replace the mask every 6 months if it breaks and I get all new stuff like hoses and cushions every three months if I need them. This sucker even has a cellular modem on it that reports my sleep results to the doc's office everyday if they need to make adjustments. Only negative was that my dog almost attacked me when I stepped out of the bathroom with my mask on. Had to do a little convincing but other than that all is well! :)

Great!

Full Face Mask, Respironics Machine. Probably saved my life as well. During my test they came into the room after me being asleep 20 minutes, and said you have the worst case our office has seen. All i know is i don't sleep without it, and it has changed my life.

Guest Lester Weevils
Question: So basically, all you fellers weren't getting enough REM (deep, dreaming state) sleep?

Did you not ever seem to have dreams before you got the masks? Or is it not that simple, not all deep sleep is REM sleep? Or what?

- OS

Hi OS

I think the rem dreaming sleep is a light sleep and deep sleep is dreamless, but may be remembering wrong. The neurologist sleep doc dude told me the body goes into a paralysis during rem sleep, so maybe sometimes rem sleep might be as likely as deep sleep to cause apnea? Dunno. He said the body becomes paralyzed during rem dreaming because otherwise people would run around in the real world doing whatever they do in the dream.

Then there is another normal experience some people have of sleep paralysis (not necessarily associated with people who have apnea)-- Some individuals get almost awake and they are still dreaming but they are awake enough to realize that they are paralyzed and can't move. Which can cause a panic, and the panic fully wakes them, and then they can move and are no longer paralyzed, and they wonder, "what the hell just happened?"

Apnea is probably a cluster of effects. Dunno that much about it. Among other things, people with apnea are more likely to develop daytime sleepiness, high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, weight gain, and depression.

There are positive feedback systems where you can't win for losing. You can find skinny people who have apnea, but if a person gains enough weight then at some point he will probably get some apnea because of all the fat in his neck. Apnea can make you fat, but if you are fat then you are more likely to have apnea! Who designed this system anyway?

There are numerous such feedbacks. Fat people are more likely to get type II diabetes, but some people with type II diabetes find it near-impossible to lose weight even on weight-reduction diets.

Perhaps there are multiple mechanisms responsible for apnea, but PERHAPS this is the most common mechanism-- When you get to a certain sleep state, your jaw and neck muscles relax, allowing the soft palate to drop back and close off the airway. So then you quit breathing and the blood oxygen drops. That triggers a drowning-like reflex and your body rouses enough to regain muscle tone and gasp for breath. This rarely wakes a person enough that they can remember it in the morning. With severe apnea people will do the cycle of [quit breathing] [low oxygen] [rouse and gasp] [fall asleep enough to quit breathing] over and over all night.

It may have something to do with REM sleep deprivation but I could dream with untreated apnea.

I think it is mainly if you sleep 8 hours repeatedly choking all night, and running low oxy levels all night, and your heart rate and blood pressure going nuts all night, then it tends to wear a person out. It is very strange that most people don't even know they spent the whole night choking, unless the wifey or somebody tells em about it.

Sometimes have taken naps sitting up in the work chair without the cpap. I'm less likely to get apnea sleeping sitting up but it can sometimes happen sitting up. The only ways I can tell if I had apnea-- 1. The back of the throat and uvula gets swollen from all the snoring choking and snorting. 2. Occassionally I have fully woken up, gasping for breath and heart running fast.

But people usually don't wake up like that and notice.

Hi OS

I think the rem dreaming sleep is a light sleep and deep sleep is dreamless, but may be remembering wrong. The neurologist sleep doc dude told me the body goes into a paralysis during rem sleep, so maybe sometimes rem sleep might be as likely as deep sleep to cause apnea? Dunno. He said the body becomes paralyzed during rem dreaming because otherwise people would run around in the real world doing whatever they do in the dream.

Then there is another normal experience some people have of sleep paralysis (not necessarily associated with people who have apnea)-- Some individuals get almost awake and they are still dreaming but they are awake enough to realize that they are paralyzed and can't move. Which can cause a panic, and the panic fully wakes them, and then they can move and are no longer paralyzed, and they wonder, "what the hell just happened?"

Apnea is probably a cluster of effects. Dunno that much about it. Among other things, people with apnea are more likely to develop daytime sleepiness, high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, weight gain, and depression.

There are positive feedback systems where you can't win for losing. You can find skinny people who have apnea, but if a person gains enough weight then at some point he will probably get some apnea because of all the fat in his neck. Apnea can make you fat, but if you are fat then you are more likely to have apnea! Who designed this system anyway?

There are numerous such feedbacks. Fat people are more likely to get type II diabetes, but some people with type II diabetes find it near-impossible to lose weight even on weight-reduction diets.

Perhaps there are multiple mechanisms responsible for apnea, but PERHAPS this is the most common mechanism-- When you get to a certain sleep state, your jaw and neck muscles relax, allowing the soft palate to drop back and close off the airway. So then you quit breathing and the blood oxygen drops. That triggers a drowning-like reflex and your body rouses enough to regain muscle tone and gasp for breath. This rarely wakes a person enough that they can remember it in the morning. With severe apnea people will do the cycle of [quit breathing] [low oxygen] [rouse and gasp] [fall asleep enough to quit breathing] over and over all night.

It may have something to do with REM sleep deprivation but I could dream with untreated apnea.

I think it is mainly if you sleep 8 hours repeatedly choking all night, and running low oxy levels all night, and your heart rate and blood pressure going nuts all night, then it tends to wear a person out. It is very strange that most people don't even know they spent the whole night choking, unless the wifey or somebody tells em about it.

Sometimes have taken naps sitting up in the work chair without the cpap. I'm less likely to get apnea sleeping sitting up but it can sometimes happen sitting up. The only ways I can tell if I had apnea-- 1. The back of the throat and uvula gets swollen from all the snoring choking and snorting. 2. Occassionally I have fully woken up, gasping for breath and heart running fast.

But people usually don't wake up like that and notice.

In the past two nights I have noticed I am actually dreaming less with the CPAP machine. Before this I was constantly having waking dreams or really light sleep where I could even hear myself snoring but knew I wasn't totally awake. The doctor told me I was having 80 events an hour where I would do the whole stop breathing, gasp, waking, cycle. I can tell you this, my wife, dog , and baby, are sure happier now! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I know this post is several months old, but I have been on my machine now for 7 months. All I can say is WOW I sure didn't know what I had been missing, I was very skeptical at first. I am a believer now. Four things for sure has changed since I started: very restful when I awake, lost about 15 lbs without any other change (doc.thought it would help), no more acid reflux caused by negative air pressure on my stomach, and my dreams have returned. I probably have not dreamed or at least recall one in over 25 years. Now it's like vivid tv. Each night I dream multiple dreams and I tell you some of these are just better than the movies. Most are clean (wife may be reading). Sleep is actually fun and darn restful. If you are skeptical, just give it honest try.

• 2 months later...

You are probably looking at around $1000 for a complete setup, Mike. I use a Philips Resoironics CPAP, with a humidifer and a Mirage Quattro full face mask. I've been on my machine since February and I do pretty well. I usually get a good 6 hours of REM sleep a night according to the Dr. My starting pressure was 19, but they lowered it three weeks ago to 17. I can't tell any difference in my sleep, but the pressure is less.

They will tell you, you will get used to it in a week or two. It took me more like 3 months, before I was wearing it all night long. In order for the mask to seal properly at 19, my head gear was really tight. Since the pressure was dropped to 17, I've been able to loosen it a bit and it's a little more comfortable.

My wife complained about my snoring for several years. Last fall, my cousin died in her sleep at the age of 37. We believe that Apnea played a large part in her death. I decided I needed to get checked. The first sleep test, they hooked me up to all the electrodes and I drifted off to sleep for a couple of hours. They woke me up and informed me that I had severe apnea. I got a mask and they started testing. I found it extremely claustrophobic and fought it. So I had to come back for another test. I am really glad I stuck it out though. Before I started using the CPAP machine, I'd catch myself taking naps at work. Worse than that, I would drift off to sleep driving home on I640!!! I don't have those problems anymore. :)

Go take the test, Mike. Go see your normal Doctor and have him refer you! It's worth it!

Guest Lester Weevils

When I got it done, the testing was the most expensive part, but dunno if that is always the case. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but the capital investment in a sleep lab seems to return a lot bigger profit than the capital investment in, oh I dunno, an auto repair bay ferinstance.

• 3 weeks later...

Got off my lazy round thing and waiting for the sleep center to set my date, actually looking forward to getting the results and seeing where Im at.

Good deal! Trust me you'll feel like a new person. The hardest part is finding a mask that you feel comfortable with. I got lucky and found that I could stand the nasal pillows, which are the least obstructive in my opinion. I don't have to have to have the whole face mask.

Guest Lester Weevils

No one take offense to this, but are y'all with apnea overweight? I had it when I was overweight and when I lost all of my weight the apnea went away. Just food for thought.

I'm overweight. Perhaps the majority of folk with apnea are overweight, but skinny people get it too. In the past they would sometimes treat apnea with throat surgery to "open up" the airway. Dunno how common that is done. Even 15 years ago, the neurologist/sleep dr I went to, he said that sometimes throat surgery will cure snoring without curing the apnea (but the CPAP almost always works). Some of the surgically treated folks were getting the same damage from apnea though the obvious symptom of loud snoring would cease. Making the issue "more insidious" because wife or family members wouldn't be likely to notice the person "silently" ceasing to breathe during sleep.

Just sayin, if a person loses weight and the "most obvious symptoms" of apnea go away-- Loss of weight would clear the airway similar to the effect of surgery. So maybe snoring would stop but the apnea remains in a silent form. Just sayin, maybe its worth a sleep test to make sure the problem went away "completely".

I don't choose to be fat. Chicken-and-egg issues. Correlations don't necessarily imply causation. Fat people seem more likely to have apnea. Apnea causes weight gain. If a fella had undiagnosed apnea for decades, did he get fat because of the apnea, or did he get the apnea because he was fat? There are "clusters of illnesses" which seem correlated but it is difficult to identify which was the cause, because they aggravate each other.

No one take offense to this, but are y'all with apnea overweight? I had it when I was overweight and when I lost all of my weight the apnea went away. Just food for thought.

Oh no offense taken. I'll be the first to admit I'm overweight. Marriage will do that to ya! :) However I will say that in college I was not and still had many of the same problems. (Snoring, lethargy, sleepy all the time etc...) I just never had a wife to force me to choose between sleeping in the living room or seeing the doctor! But I would imagine that the symptoms wouldn't be as dramatic if I were to lose 50lbs or so.

Guest Spurhunter

No offense here, yes Im overweight, but a buddy of mine is 6'2", 51 yrs old, weighs around 155 lbs, has less than 4% body fat and is a certified P90X instructor and just found out he has severe apnea. I was shocked when I found that out and realized ANYONE can have it.

I am in my mid forties, and yes I am over weight. My doctor suggests that I probalby have had sleep apena since my mid 20s. My weight gain started then. He says that the lower oxygen in the blood during the night is causing my body to burn less calories. Thus over time, if nothing changes, i.e. no change in diet, no change in exercise, my body just isn't burning like it use to. He says he can not contribute 100% of my weight gain on this apnea, but likely contributed highly. I do know after almost a year on the machine, I have lost 15 lbs without any serious change in my diet or exercise. I do know before the machine, I can not remember when I last dreamed last, maybe 20-25 years ago. Like I posted a few months ago, I dream quite regularly now since being on the machine. This suggests that my doctor may be right about my sleep apnea started a long time ago, and got worse and the weight gain contributed to the throat restriction.