Employee Safe Commute (Parking Lot) Campaign

What Mike Faulk (sponsor of the Senate Bill) said today:

http://tnreport.com/...g-shots-at-gop/

Mike FaulkApril 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm

The Employee Safe Commute and companion bill are in the Senate Calendar Committee and, as sponsor of those bills, can be calendared by me in accordance with the Rules of the Senate. I have intentionally held those bills in Calendar to give members of the Senate a chance to get comfortable with them. I have patiently awaited any suggested changes. Most significantly, I’ve taken the additional time to reflect on the bills since so many members of the General Assembly have privately expressed reservations about the balance struck between property rights and the right to self-defense contained in the bills. Should the bills pass the House of Representatives, I expect to bring them out of the Calendar Committee and to the floor of the Senate

What Mike Faulk (sponsor of the Senate Bill) said today:

http://tnreport.com/...g-shots-at-gop/

IMHO, a load of crap. Why should HE wait. To hear the people in the House, THEY are waiting on the SENATE. They aren't waiting for each other, they are waiting for time to run out. As for the BS about "patiently awaited any suggested changes", the suggestion to drop the Campfield amendment has been on the table almost since it was put on the bill. It was my opinion when it was added that it would be the poision pill. Everybody, (the leadership and Governor) always stated that they wanted the bill to be narrowed in scope. Well the hunter amendment made it too broad. What they aren't saying and REALLY want is the amendment that excludes fenced lots. They didn't get it and have done everything they could to kill it.

Also Haslam didn't want this bill, even with it limited to permit holders, unless it included a fenced lot exclusion. He pressured the General Assembly Republican leadership and cacuses HARD to kill the bills. He didn't want to have to deal with it. He needed to be able to go to his corporate donors and tell them he had killed the bill. He wants to be able to go to the gun owners and tell them that it wasn't HIS fault, the bill never made it to his desk.

He pressured the General Assembly Republican leadership and cacuses HARD to kill the bills

I can assure you that this is not a correct statement. He doesn't support the bill, and would rather not have to deal with it, but his legislative team has been on the sidelines.

I can assure you that this is not a correct statement. He doesn't support the bill, and would rather not have to deal with it, but his legislative team has been on the sidelines.

That is exactly what I was saying. He absolutely did NOT support the bills but he didn't want to have to face the gun owners if he vetoed the bills and he didn't want to have to face his corporate money donors if he signed them. So he sent instructions to the Republican cacuses in both chambers to do HIS dirty work and kill the bills so they would never reach his desk. He is like Pilate when he washed his hands in a symbolic display to say he had nothing to do with the crucifixion of Jesus. Pilate played a big part in that and Haslam is just as culpable in the demise of this legislation as Ramsey, Harwell and Maggart.

So he sent instructions to the Republican cacuses in both chambers to do HIS dirty work and kill the bills so they would never reach his desk.

And this is the part of your statements that are not correct. He didn't support the bill, but the push to kill it came from the legislature, not the governor's office.

Edited by quietguy

And this is the part of your statements that are not correct. He didn't support the bill, but the push to kill it came from the legislature, not the governor's office.

Well, let's just say I have it from a very reliable source that Monday, the 23rd that "the Governor's people have been deployed throughout the legislature to give republican's their marching orders--to kill the bills at all costs".

Actually there is indications that these pushes could have ties all the way to Lamar Alexander. Alexander is no friend of gun owners and he and Haslam are good buds. There are more skeletons in more closets that you can imagine and enough responsibibility for the death of these bills to more than go around.

The legislative leadership, while they made the most noise and were the instruments that actually killed them and are equally to blame, the Governor's office CAN NOT sit back and act the innocent by-stander in this.

What also needs to be considered is that Mike Faulk is not running for re-election. Faulk is an attorney. While he said that he did some soul searching and listened to the concerns of his fellow assembly members, a private practice attorney does not want to burn bridges with the state if you want any state business to come your way. He is simply making sure he has no enemies when he leaves the General Assembly.

There are only a few in The General Assembly I feel have been honest throughout this whole ordeal. Eddie Bass is one and I for one will be sorry to see him leave as he too is not running for re-election. Eddie has always supported gun rights for as long as I have been involved in these issues. And the times I have spoken with him personally, he is just a good, down-to-earth, common sence regular guy. I believe him to be smart and honest and unfortunately it just seems that politics has no place for an honest person these days.

Well, let's just say I have it from a very reliable source that Monday, the 23rd that "the Governor's people have been deployed throughout the legislature to give republican's their marching orders--to kill the bills at all costs".

PM Sent

Sad to see Mr. Bass and Mr. Faulk depart. I don't blame them. I would too.

I would have been satisfied with a floor vote on both sides of the house, regardless of outcome or even the Governor's approval/veto.

For me (and I had communicated this to legislators), this was the Diogenes Issue of the session. The light fell very short in this calculated abortion of the legislative process. The light of truth did however, expose the decay and rot.

I hope the legislators remaining learn something from this experience, but,...... probably not.

BTW, of the *dozens* of legislator replies I have received, Only one person has been consistent, transparent (even in disagreement), and voted all the way through the process exactly like the views expressed to me,

In a nutshell, as an engaged citizen, I seemingly wasted hours of my time and energy...

Edited by R_Bert

Well R_bert said it right. The process is broken. After sending 100's of emails to my repesentatives in government, I got nothing but lies in return. I have gotten nothing but I support this bill from elected officials in resonse to my emails and nothing but we have to kill it before there is a recorded vote as acxtion from those same polititions that assured me that they supported this bill. Time to replace them all. Death to all incubents(politiacal death that is.)

The Dems that voted for it are trying to garner votes next election. They are not our friend.

Wolf in sheeps clothing.

Neither are the Repuglicans, apparently! Talk about sheep's clothing, what about the Repuglican leadership! A pox on all of them!!! Mr. Dunn will not be receiving my vote for the very first time. And next time Haslem will not receive it either. I'm sure that will break both their hearts. Obviously Haslem has been in bed, not only with Alexander, but they both had a threesome with Bloomberg.

Edited by Moped
Guest profgunner

Obviously Haslem has been in bed, not only with Alexander, but they both had a threesome with Bloomberg.

Dude. You just ruined my supper.

Did any of y'all actually expect those Republicans to do what they said they would or maybe keep their word that was never really given to begin with?

Welcome to the cynics club.

Edited by Garufa

Just received this message from Representative Eddie Bass:

Richard, leadership has our support for this bill down to almost none (we still have the few that have always been with us). It is dead for the year, as you probably know. Thanks for your help working this bill............Eddie

To which I replied:

Mr. Eddie,

I am so very grateful for your efforts on the behalf of the Citizens of Tennessee. I have seen the results of the actions against you related to this bill, and yet you stood in a place almost alone, but with the knowledge that the issue was of major import, fearless in the attempt.

It is my great pleasure to know you, and my life is better for having made your acquaintance. We as Tennesseans lose a Servant of the People with your leaving the Office.

Ironically, two of the truest 2A supporters in the GA over the last few years were Rep. Bass and ex-Sen. Jackson...both from the "wrong" side of the aisle, some would say. Makes for a pathetic view of the ( R )s...

Edited by GKar
  • Administrator

Just wondering...

How many of you have had enough of this #### yet to do something about it at the polls? Any chance you all will remember it come election time?

There should be a lot of employee turnover on Tennessee's capitol hill after this. Doubt there will be, though. The attention span of the voting public isn't long enough to allow them to hold a grudge.

The single biggest effect that can be achieved is to solidly get behind Lt. Col. Courtney Rogers in the 45th Representative District race. against Debra Maggart.

Nobody short of Beth Harwell is as responsible for this years push against the bill. Harwell has no challenger in the primary or General Election, and even if she did, it would be nearly impossible to beat her in her solidly Democratic District.

The Leadership triumvirate is Harwell, Maggart, and McCormick. McCormick like Harwell has no challengers, so the only chance to take out a RINO of stature is Maggart, and her opponent seems to have the character to seriously contest the race.

She needs money, as Harwell and the other Liberal Republicans will circle the wagons around Maggart, but, if Sen. Jim Summerville could take his race 2010 with expending $1,900.00, votes and shoe leather do count. Then if we can get enough people to throw in some money to help, (I put up my next nice gun purchase amount already), we could take the seat and possibly change who is House Speaker next year.

Edited by Worriedman

Just wondering...

How many of you have had enough of this #### yet to do something about it at the polls? Any chance you all will remember it come election time?

There should be a lot of employee turnover on Tennessee's capitol hill after this. Doubt there will be, though. The attention span of the voting public isn't long enough to allow them to hold a grudge.

I am putting it on my Outlook Calendar.....

I've already stated that I will remember what Mr. Dunn did NOT DO FOR US come election time. Sadly, he had no one run against him in the 2010 election. Best as I can tell, that's the case again. But when he does, I will remember and I will vote for the other person, even if it's Satan.

Too bad I can't vote in this Maggart race. I'd vote for the other fella and hopefully help send her packing.

Edited by Moped

Just wondering...

It will be on my mind, but I don't think anyone has opposed my legislators in quite some time.

...and I'm afraid you are right about attention spans.

...and I'm afraid you are right about attention spans.

Persevere, hold a grudge, remember...your rulers will.

Progressives never waiver, they never take their eye off the ball, they never let a crisis go to waste, (this is a crisis) we must learn from our enemies.