You are the FTF buyer, any paperwork involved?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
Is there any benefit to the BUYER for a contract for a FTF transaction.

I've thought about it and I don't see any benefit(s). Am I missing something?

If you DO ever have to use it in self defense....

and the gun was used in a crime, you will have the seller info to pass along to the boys that come knocking....

personally, I dont use it, but then again, I havent bought FTF yet...or sold...but I dont think I would have a problem with it...whatever...lol

Guest TNDixieGirl

As a FTF buyer, I made up a simple sales receipt with make model and serial number of the gun. Along with date it was sold to me, and had the seller sign it. I wanted proof I was the legal owner so someone couldn't report it stolen later. And I wanted proof of who I bought it from in case something illegal had been done with it earlier. None of that may matter in the long run, but it made both of us feel better so we did it.

I think if you pay attention to your senses you will know inside that something is not quite right with the seller or with the gun you may buy. If you inner alarm trips then walk away. If not buy the gun and don't worry about it all.

Personally since the law does not require paperwork I am not filling any out, either as a buyer or seller. If the other party insists, I am walking away.

I think if you pay attention to your senses you will know inside that something is not quite right with the seller or with the gun you may buy. If you inner alarm trips then walk away. If not buy the gun and don't worry about it all.

Personally since the law does not require paperwork I am not filling any out, either as a buyer or seller. If the other party insists, I am walking away.

So you wouldn't sign a receipt or give one if a person asked for it? Maybe they simply like to keep records of where there money is spent? Receipts are a good thing, they protect the buyer or seller in a civil matter. I try to use them whenever I make any transaction where money changes hands.

Guest EasilyObsessed

There isnt a law against pissing into the wind, but I find it is still in my best interest to put my back to the wind.

If someone is unwilling to sign a piece of paper saying they are selling something to you or to register the transfer of possession, I wouldnt be comfortable selling them a firearm.

Guest TNDixieGirl

It's no big deal really. Receipts in some form are used no matter what the transaction may be. No, it isn't required, unless you deal with me. If you refused, we'd both walk away cause I'd be wondering what you're so afraid of by having/giving a receipt.

If someone is unwilling to sign a piece of paper saying they are selling something to you or to register the transfer of possession, I wouldnt be comfortable selling them a firearm.

I am not registering a firearm sold in a FTF sale. Period end of that story.

I am very comfortable with walking away.

So you wouldn't sign a receipt or give one if a person asked for it?

No I would not. I also would not hesitate to give them my name and town I reside in. If they ask I will verbally confirm I am not disallowed by law from owning firearms. They can write up and sign whatever they want to. But they can leave me out of the paperwork loop.

Edited by Mike.357
Guest GLOCKGUY
FTF Private sell - No paper needed just as God intended and as stated in the Bill of Rights. :)

All I ask for is a verbal that the seller/buyer is a Tennessean.

why? can you not sell or buy from someone like from GA or any other state in a FTF sell if your from TN 14104_dunno_3.gif

Guest dotsun
why? can you not sell or buy from someone like from GA or any other state in a FTF sell if your from TN 14104_dunno_3.gif

No, I believe according to the ATFU you have to run across state firearm sales through an FFL.

Count me out of the signing paperwork, too. I bought some stuff at a yard sale the other day and didn't have to sign anything.

when i bought my xd-45 it was FTF and the guy wanted my DL # and name and address, said, in case there is any trouble with the cops. i just said ok and went with it cause i really wanted the gun and drove 2hrs. to get it and got a good deal.

on the other hand my buddy has traded guns FTF and nobody ever wanted anything but the guns.

if anybody ever does any FTF gun deals with me, as long as i get my gun(s)/cash im happy i dont really care who you are, where your from, or what you have done, the less i know the more i can honestly say "I dont know". im more worried about the condition of the gun or making sure all the money is there instead of who has it and what they're doing with it.

I am more worried about getting whacked in the head from somebody I don't know.They already know I am coming to meet them with a chunk of change in my pocket or am bringing a gun to sell. Always feels a little weird to be checking out a gun for purchase in a gas station or Wally World parking lot also. I have decided taking a buddy with a gun also is the way to go. Anyone else have any precautions?

Guest kwikrnu

I figure the only real good reason to do a FTF transaction is to avoid having the firearm tracked by the government. I haven't did a FTF yet, but would like to own a handgun which no one knows I have.

Guest GLOCKGUY
No, I believe according to the ATFU you have to run across state firearm sales through an FFL.

Count me out of the signing paperwork, too. I bought some stuff at a yard sale the other day and didn't have to sign anything.

WOW thanks for the info. im just glad i never sold or bought from out of state before finding this out 14104_icon_smile_whistling_1.gif

I figure the only real good reason to do a FTF transaction is to avoid having the firearm tracked by the government. I haven't did a FTF yet, but would like to own a handgun which no one knows I have.

.....and no tax, wholesale pricing, no TICS, ect.

BTW in response to concerns, I always carry my secondary on my hip. I generally trust folks, but I'm not stupid either.

Guest dotsun
Usually I take the gun in my holster along with the one that I am trading.

+1. I'm always armed anyway, so I don't worry about that too much. Plus if you're set upon by a mall ninja ambush and taken down, there's the matter of a cell phone record and usually email correspondence.