New to IDPA

I've been researching the rules/regulations for IDPA competitions to decide on a pistol to use for the SSP division and have a couple questions. Are factory compensated guns (i.e. Glock 34/35's, XDM 5.25's) legal for SSP or only the ESP division? Also since 9mm is cheaper to shoot is it a more prevalent caliber, or are there more people shooting other calibers? Finally, a quick poll of what model pistol everyone uses? I understand that this is more of a personal preference, just curious to what everyone uses, especially those who actually compete in IDPA/USPSA. I like the looks and feel of a compact gun/barrel but if i'm going to spend some of my hard-earned money (which is becoming harder to come by these days for "discretionary" uses) i'd rather go with something that I can use for IDPA as well, especially if a longer barrel would make a difference in overall accuracy.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glock 34 and 35 are not compensated. The slide is cut on the top. Glock 34/35 are either SSP or ESP. XD 5.25 9mm or 40 s&w is automatically in ESP without question according to the rules however if you shoot the XD 5.25 in 45 ACP then it can be shot in ESP or CDP.

Thanks for the info!

So does the compensation rule only apply to the barrel? Also would the overall length of the glock 34/35's not put them in the ESP since thet would be over 8.75 inches?

There are no compensators in IDPA(or ported barrels). The 34/35 are SSP guns. Add a magwell on them (or any other external modification) and it makes them ESP.

Sorry, i guess compensated was the wrong term to use...should have used ported

The slides are lightened from the factory. That is what the opening in the slides are. No gas escapes from the barrel there.

I shoot an M&P pro. 9mm. You can shoot what you carry, until you want to play the game better.

Sorry, i guess compensated was the wrong term to use...should have used ported

i think the term you are looking is lighten ( made lighter, less wieght) as they stated if is factory then it is okay, G17 should be fine. now a G17C or any Glock with a C after the number is ported and not okay to use, but fun to shoot at night. :)

From the rule book (well, one of them, there seem to be a couple of versions) ...

1. Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL

Divisions

The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY

DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.

A. Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported

barrels.

9mm and 40 are the most popular. A few 10, 45, 357 sig, and others are also used.

Guns vary a lot, from 1911s to glocks and anything in between. Lots and lots of glocks, of course. The trouble is that if you have a safety, you must use it which eats time compared to the no-safety guns. They do not grok the DA safety off carry style, in other words.

I like compact guns as well, and use my cz rami. It holds the required 10 shots (that is all you can have in a mag), is deadly accurate, and just my size. Not terribly expensive either.

Don't over think it. Buy the gun you want, take it and shoot it. The gun that works for IDPA is the gun that works for you.

You will see a whole gamut of pistols. If you're not shooting a 1911 pattern gun, you'll see mostly Glocks with a smattering of M&Ps and some XDs, along with representatives of many other makes and models.

I shoot an M&P 9FS.

Where are you planning on shooting? Bristol, Boone, or Greeneville?

Edited by JWinTN

I am relatively new to IDPA as well. There are a bunch of really good shooters; and a bunch of really good people willing to help you. Compete against yourself, don't worry about everyone else. As you grow in experience you will learn what you need as well as what you don't need. Better yourself each time and everything will work out.

Don't over think it. Buy the gun you want, take it and shoot it. The gun that works for IDPA is the gun that works for you.

You will see a whole gamut of pistols. If you're not shooting a 1911 pattern gun, you'll see mostly Glocks with a smattering of M&Ps and some XDs, along with representatives of many other makes and models.

I shoot an M&P 9FS.

Where are you planning on shooting? Bristol, Boone, or Greeneville?

I've only seen flyers/emails through Kettlefoot for IDPA where I'm a member of. I haven't started looking for other places yet, but what places are you referring to?

Also i only have a Kahr P9 right now for CC but have been looking at Glocks, XD's, and PPQ so far. I have shot glock 23 and 26 so far..still want to shoot a couple XD's and the PPQ as well..too many choices

I've only seen flyers/emails through Kettlefoot for IDPA where I'm a member of. I haven't started looking for other places yet, but what places are you referring to?

Also i only have a Kahr P9 right now for CC but have been looking at Glocks, XD's, and PPQ so far. I have shot glock 23 and 26 so far..still want to shoot a couple XD's and the PPQ as well..too many choices

Kettlefoot, TAC2, and Watauga Gun Club.

I've only shot once at Kettlefoot, but I know a few folks who shoot there regularly. They put on a good sanctioned match. I shoot mostly at TAC2, which is unsanctioned and IDPA style, so some stage setups might not meet sanctioned match standards, but all the same rules apply. I haven't shot any at Boone.

When in doubt, buy a Glock. Remember that you are not buying only a gun but also the things available to support that gun, such as sights, holsters, magazines, parts, etc. You can't tell how a gun will work for you with just a few visits to the range. You have to get it and run it a while before making a decision. Which means, basically, that you may end up buying and selling a few guns to get to know what you like before committing to one platform. That's not to say that you will get lucky and the first one you buy will be perfect, but you won't know if something's better without trying it.

For the money, you cannot beat a Glock. If you want a comp-only gun, get a 34. If it's going to do double duty, get a 17 or 19. Then buy a bunch of ammo, get some training, and shoot some matches.

I see a few XDs, but they are in ESP division, and I personally wouldn't want one if I had other options. The new competition model may be something to look at.

If you are completely unfamiliar with IDPA matches, holler at me and I can meet you at a range and show you some of what to expect when you go. But really, you can just show up at one, and provided you are safe the people there will walk you through everything you need to know.

Do not get a glock... because someone said to. I sometimes think glock is a top seller not because it is good, but because ever new shooter is told to run out and buy one. If you like the glock, get one, by all means: they are fine, well made guns. If you like something else better, get something else.

Do not get a glock... because someone said to. I sometimes think glock is a top seller not because it is good, but because ever new shooter is told to run out and buy one. If you like the glock, get one, by all means: they are fine, well made guns. If you like something else better, get something else.

I agree. In fact, all the Glock hype was one of the main things that turned me off. I went to the shop and held Glock, HK, XD, and went with the M&P. I recommend visiting a shop and doing the same.

I agree. In fact, all the Glock hype was one of the main things that turned me off. I went to the shop and held Glock, HK, XD, and went with the M&P. I recommend visiting a shop and doing the same.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into people bashing the other preferences in gun choices, by no means did I intend for that. I have always tried to hold or even shoot the previous guns that I have bought but it was easier then because most of the people I knew mainly shot rifles and shotguns. Unfortunately most of those friends do not shoot pistols regularly so I'm having to start from scratch, mostly... thankfully everyone on this forum has been very helpful and friendly so far!

Hype or not, it's a Glock world. As such, there's parts and accessories everywhere. It is, like it or not, the best service weapon available, due to its reliability, relative accuracy, and the support available for it. That's not to say there aren't better guns, but there aren't any better guns with a similar support system.

What it comes down to is that it doesn't matter which one you start with, you're eventually going to want to try them all, because you can't know until you do. And, again, a day at the range, though it may provide better feedback than just holding it at the counter, is not enough to properly evaluate a gun. Two thousand rounds and a variety of drills and you might be getting close.

Hype or not, it's a Glock world. As such, there's parts and accessories everywhere.

This is not far off the mark. I sometimes refer to IDPA as a game "by glock shooters and for glock shooters". You will see what I mean once you have been a time or 3. I also will not be found bashing glocks; I said it once already, they are fine guns.

Edited by Jonnin

I hope this thread doesn't turn into people bashing the other preferences in gun choices, by no means did I intend for that. I have always tried to hold or even shoot the previous guns that I have bought but it was easier then because most of the people I knew mainly shot rifles and shotguns. Unfortunately most of those friends do not shoot pistols regularly so I'm having to start from scratch, mostly... thankfully everyone on this forum has been very helpful and friendly so far!

not to worry, shooters just being shooters, just like at a race track Ford vs Chevy, when you go to a match just ask to try some of the different pistols. or even the same type stock and tuned.

i know if i saw some one new using a glock i would have try and get them to try a real gun! :)

or even they had the same gun i am using but it is stock, most are very surprised what a difference a little tuning makes.

I shoot IDPA with what I carry, either a Kimber 4" Pro Raptor, or a 3" Kimber CDP II, both in .45 caliber. Like the OP stated, it costs me twice as much in ammo compared to a 9mm. One of these days I'll shoot my Baby Glock 26 just for the fun of it. And if .45 ammo gets much more expensive, I'll trade off one of my Kimbers for a nice 5" Springfield or Colt 9mm.

I'll never get good enough to actually compete with some of those Wild Bill's and Annie Oakleys but, sure is fun and I can see some improvement in my shooting. Have fun!

I favor the MP,

off to a great start! :)

just remember it is a game, be safe, have a good laugh and do not be fraid to be the one that caused a good laugh. it build your skills and confidence, just try not to get caught up in "how this for real and tact cool". and i believe you will enjoy it more.