I'm probably in trouble thanks to you guys

OK;

I read over several months’ worth of threads in this section and found some great info. I procrastinated long enough. So I applied for my C&R License.

I also read over a good many threads on Mosin Nagants, have become addicted to Hickok 45's flippin' Youtube Channel!

What have you people done to me? :squint:

Ok, I can't turn back now.

So I need your help in deciding which Mosin to purchase first. I like the 91/30, but I also like the OAL of the M 44.

I don't really think I want a Type 53 after reading about the quality issues, and I know unless I can actually handle the gun in person, it'll be a bit of a risk anytime I order one.

I want a Mosin for general shooting, but I'd also like to do some deer hunting with one as well. I may well eventually scope one out, like the discussion in the Affordable scope for Mosin thread.

So I need to rely on your expertise here.

Any suggestions for a first Mosin? I have a feeling there'll be a few in my future.

Anyone handload the 7.62 x 54 R?

Suggestions on vendors are welcome and appreciated. (I have several bookmarked to send signed copies of my C&R when it arrives.)

Thanks for the help in advance. Also thanks for the new obsession...like I needed one... :pleased:

• Like 1

Cant go wrong with AIM surplus for a 91/30. I personally like the Hex models preferably Tula if I want a 91/30. Dont ask me why, I just do. Of all 8 of my Mosins I like my M38 (same as an M44 only without a bayonet) to shoot the best. Dont ask me why, I just do. Am really wanting to get an M39 next.

Kentucky Gun Co has the Mosin 91/30 on sale for $80. At least they did a few days ago, last I looked. For under $100 you can have the rifle at your door. (Assuming they ship to C&R, I have never purchased from them).

Get the rifle, have fun cleaning the cosmile off (it's rewarding to then go shoot it afterward) and get general exposure to the Mosin. Then if you want an M44 you can take time to watch for a sale (if you want). Also, I bet you wouldn't have too much difficulty unloading the 91/30 for around $100 if you needed to in order to switch to an M44, since non C&R holders pay FFL fees if they buy one from AIM or KY Gun Co, etc.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: The picture on KY Gun Co's site does not show the usual accessories, so you may want to first verify that those are included if you order from them.

Edited by Guest
Guest Sgt. Joe

You are right Prag, this site is full of highly contagious diseases, I've caught a few myself and expect to catch more :surrender:

The good thing is that the cures and treatment plans are all a whole lot of fun. :)

Great info and thoughts folks. Much obliged.

Yer right Stg. Joe...at least there's a treatment plan available here. :pleased:

nightrunner,

I've dealt with my 1911 "issue" for better than 25 years now. No cure for that one!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye on AIM.

As soon as my C&R arrives I'll get the signed copies out. It looks like SOG has to have your license in order for you to view pricing.

I'll definitely look into KY Gun as well. Thanks.

Suggestions, opinions, and options are appreciated.

Prag

Just to follow up on my earlier suggestion, I was curious about KY Gun Co for future reference so I emailed them to see if they would sell a 91/30 to a C&R. Their website doesn't specify. Their reply via email said they do not handle C&R licenses, so sales must go through FFL Dealers. I did buy my Mosin from AIM Surplus (albeit before I had a C&R) and will agree with pcrc11, they are a good company to deal with.

Edited by Guest

empirearms.com

gunsnammo.com

M39 Finnish Mosin. Empire also comes across earlier Finnish Mosin.

Buy one with an Antique Receiver.

The Finn M39 is heavy barreled, accurate,better made, and have a better stock.

Regarding the guns and "trouble."

There's trouble, and then there's TROUBLE.

You could be chasing women. That's TROUBLE.

You could be drinking heavily. That's TROUBLE.

At the very least, messin' with guns will keep you out of the bars.

So, pick your trouble. Presented thusly, I imagine your wife might even support your gun habit.

AIM is stacking up points in my book. :up:

+1 for AIM. I've bought C&R pistols/revolvers from them as well as ammo. They have great prices, are very easy to deal with and make it easy to establish a C&R account. Many of their competitors infuriate me with their account set up process....they are online, yet they insist on snail mail to set up an account. :rant: I've also given up trying to establish an account with Century. :surrender:

+1 for AIM. I've bought C&R pistols/revolvers from them as well as ammo. They have great prices, are very easy to deal with and make it easy to establish a C&R account. Many of their competitors infuriate me with their account set up process....they are online, yet they insist on snail mail to set up an account. :rant: I've also given up trying to establish an account with Century. :surrender:

Thank you.

I appreciate the info. and still waiting on my C&R... :cool:

So, pick your trouble. Presented thusly, I imagine your wife might even support your gun habit.

I knew a fella that was married to a woman that didn't care much for guns. This guy was always reloading and he was always tinkering with something in his gun room. His wife said, "I'm not going to say anything as long as he is happy, I know where he is, I know what he's doing and I know who he is with." Smart woman I say.

Amen, brother! This is precisely why my wife is (or at least acts) interested in my guns.

Well, my C&R just arrived in the mail! :cheers:

I'm on a stretch at work right now.

So I'll make multiple copies and get them to the various vendors folks were kind enough to point me towards.

Thanks for all of the helpful info folks.

I can't wait until the packages start arriving... :up: