Reloading the 7.62 x 54 r

Obviously my search skills are weak. :rolleyes:

Do any of you guys reload for the 7.62 x 54 r ? Especially as far as hunting rounds go?

Surplus ammo is pretty affordable currently, but 7.62x54r hunting rounds like Hornaday are expensive.

Any experiences, suggestions, loadings, thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

Sorry about my “search weakness†if this topic has been beat to death.

I have loaded this caliber in the past.

Norma Brass

Nosler ballistic tip 150gr

48grs. H4895

Thank you. :hat:

I was searching online for components (mostly MidWayUsa) and for load data at various places.

(Any suggestions for component purchasing is also appreciated as well.)

I did note that several people recommend slugging the barrel to determine bullet size, as I see bullets from .308-.311 recommended.

Is this a worthwhile effort? Or even necessary?

I'm not looking to make this a long range precision tool (aka killer-tacticool-sniper-ninja-rifle :rolleyes: ).

But I do want to be able to get decent accuracy from it for hunting and shooting in general.

What are your thoughts folks?

Yes, slugging is worthwhile. It gives you a VERY important piece of the accuracy puzzle. Even if you're not casting bullets for it [which you should be!]

Noted Good Sir.

I assumed as much, but you know what "they" say about assumptions.

I've never cast bullets, but it certainly something I will take into consideration.

Much Obliged.

I'm not looking to make this a long range precision tool (aka killer-tacticool-sniper-ninja-rifle :rolleyes: ).

But I do want to be able to get decent accuracy from it for hunting and shooting in general.

I will preface this by stating that although I want to learn to hunt, I have not done so, and thus this question may be a "dumb question". How accurate do you need? I'm assuming your deer/boar/whatever hunting would be within 100-yds or so (?)

I will preface this by stating that although I want to learn to hunt, I have not done so, and thus this question may be a "dumb question". How accurate do you need? I'm assuming your deer/boar/whatever hunting would be within 100-yds or so (?)

Good point. And not at dumb question in any way.

I've found that most firearms are capable of greater inherent accuracy than I can deliver. That being said, 3-4" offhand at 50-75 yds has always been plenty good enough for clean kills in my experience.

I personally would be fine with 3" groups (iron sights) at 100 yds.

Scoped? I would hope for better.

What I would like is the 3" capability, preferably 2", and then it'd be up to me to put in the "trigger time".

My Brother-in-law way back down south has taken quite a few white tails with a Model 44 and Wolf ammo over the years.

I've taken white tail, mule deer, antelope, and hogs with an '06...an old ADL I wish I still had... and several white tail with my old 336 in .30-30.

But there is just something about the Mosin Nagant's that I find intriguing, so would like to pursue. The AK toughness just appeals to me.

303 british is a good round for a fat bore, its .311 ish. More common .308 sized rounds are the other alternative. I am not aware of many things in between these 2 sizes. There are a number of quality bullets for both precision shooting and hunting in both of these sizes.

You may be able to make brass for it from something. Not sure what it would be, though, but there are probably 25 different but similar calibers in this neighborhood. Dies, a tube cutter, and a good starting case, there should be at least one easy to convert case out there... costs more time and money than pulling bullets but you can reuse the cases many, many times and no corrosive primers or other aggravations.

If you haven't already seen it, check out the "Affordable Scope for a Mosin" thread: http://www.tngunowne...stol-scope-etc/ My groups were admittedly a little larger 3-4" at 100-yards, but that would obviously be tighter at 50-75 yards. Other factors at play during my intitial range report are that I am a novice shooter, and it was also in the low 20's and windy. (I was freezing my butt off!)

You may still be looking for more accuracy than that, and if you do end up reloading, I'd be interested in following your progress. Keep us updated!

Edited by Guest

I did have the opportunity to check it out. Excellent thread with solid info. :hat:

I’ve bookmarked a good bit of info regarding forward mounted scopes for a Mosin thanks to you and the other folks that have shared their experiences here.

I look forward to my continuing education. :pleased:

The recipe I stated above was used for an 91/30. Bore condition was less than perfect, but this loading did produce 4 inch groups out of this rifle at 100 yards w/ iron sights. Something to note is that I had the rifle locked down in a stand to remove me from the equation. I believe with this particular rifle it was the bore and a bad crown. I did notice a huge improvement over surplus.

The recipe I stated above was used for an 91/30. Bore condition was less than perfect, but this loading did produce 4 inch groups out of this rifle at 100 yards w/ iron sights. Something to note is that I had the rifle locked down in a stand to remove me from the equation. I believe with this particular rifle it was the bore and a bad crown. I did notice a huge improvement over surplus.

Thank you PoofNoEyeBrows.

I would be more than pleased with a 4" group at 100 yds with iron sights.

Smart move essentially using a Ransom Rest for working up your loads.

I try to remove the "me factor" whenever I can also.

I definitely wrote down the Nosler ballistic tip 150gr with 48grs. H4895 in my reloading book and plan to give it a try.

Since all of my thoughts are just that, thoughts, at this time, I'm looking forward to picking up a Mosin or two as soon as my C&R get here and working up some rounds.

I appreciate all the info & input folks. :hat:

Edited by prag

Midway had .310 200 grain Grand Slams on clearance a while back. I loaded some in S&B cases with AA4350, they chrono'd at a usable velocity out of 91/30 but I haven't gotten around to working up to what I think they are capable of. Accuracy was better than light ball although point of impact was noticably different (go figure, 50 grain difference in weight).