FN 5.7

Ramjo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 things

Ammo does not exist that will explode anything like that. Aside from fragmentation grenade rounds and they dont exit for the FNH5.7x28mmm

And putting that vertical foregrip on the pistol is highly illegal without registering the pistol as an AOW first.

Edited by nightrunner

Holy crap! FPS Russia is like Sons of Guns.............stupid and fake.

I have a FN Five Seven, and have shot it quite a bit. I love the pistol. It is lightweight, very little recoil, and highly accurate. I have not had any trouble finding ammo in the Nashville area, as several gun stores carry the rounds. Disassembly is extremely easy (very similar to a Glock).

Guest bkelm18

Maybe, but not by much. At least Sons of Guns doesn't claim to have "explosive rounds" that don't exist. And I sure hope FPS has a tax stamp for that Five Seven in the video.

Apparently FPS' humor isn't meant for everyone. :P

Holy crap! FPS Russia is like Sons of Guns.............stupid and fake.

I have a FN Five Seven, and have shot it quite a bit. I love the pistol. It is lightweight, very little recoil, and highly accurate. I have not had any trouble finding ammo in the Nashville area, as several gun stores carry the rounds. Disassembly is extremely easy (very similar to a Glock).

+1

I own one and concur. Fixed barrel, varmint cartridge, and varmint bullet (40 gr Vmax) makes an accurate combo, limitation is the sights and the shooter.

The 5.7 is a 22 caliber pistol with a lot of energy. It is approximately twice as powerful as a 22 magnum. Much like a 223, it is designed to tumble. An interesting round, many swear by it. At the end of the day, it is still going to have less momentum and less energy than a 9mm --- meaning it does not blow up buildings or vaporize cars or anything :)

The 5.7 is a 22 caliber pistol with a lot of energy. It is approximately twice as powerful as a 22 magnum. Much like a 223, it is designed to tumble. An interesting round, many swear by it. At the end of the day, it is still going to have less momentum and less energy than a 9mm --- meaning it does not blow up buildings or vaporize cars or anything :)

Yes, but it did an awful job on all those folks at Fort Hood.

I have owned a Five Seven for several years. It is a great handgun. It is very light even when fully loaded with 20 rds, and the disassembly is a piece of cake. The trigger is pretty good, the recoil is very low, and the accuracy isn't bad. The only downside I have seen on the Five Seven is the ammo cost. If you plan on shooting it a lot, it can get pretty expensive.

Guest BungieCord

My experience is similar to mav's, except I've bought ammo by the case whenever I can find a deal so it's not that pricey. You can almost always find it for ~40¢ a round, sometimes quite a bit less. The FN-branded stuff is relatively mild but, if you don't reload, you can buy properly 'hot' loads from Elite Ammo. They're pricey but probably the best choice among commercial loads if you intend using it for SD/HD.

The cartridge gets a bad rap (glorified .22 mag, etc.) but I've been impressed with its terminal effects on several groundhogs, a couple of possums and one very pesky skunk. I've also used .22 WMRs and .17 HMRs from long guns on the same targets they don't produce anywhere near the damage of the 5.7 from a 4.8" barrel. Here's a video of a ballistic gel test of Elite Ammo's Protector II load.

The only bad word I have to say about them is that the price of admission is too high. If I had it to do over again, I'd have put the same money toward an AR.

I've been on a range with some but I didn't get to shoot them. If your looking for a advantage over 9mm+p/40/357/45 all I can say is capacity. It is a accurate shooter with mild recoil. It has found its way into the Secret Service's arsenal and is poping up on a few police agencies.

A coworker had an FN 5.7. He was very impressed that the round was so small and fast and that it would penetrate. Well... he was impressed until I pointed out to him that he was legally and morally responsible for the round after he fired it. He had been using it as his EDC, he sold it shortly after.

A coworker had an FN 5.7. He was very impressed that the round was so small and fast and that it would penetrate. Well... he was impressed until I pointed out to him that he was legally and morally responsible for the round after he fired it. He had been using it as his EDC, he sold it shortly after.

You gave your friend some bad advice.

The design of the 5.7x28mm cartridge (at least the ones available for civilian use) makes overpenetration highly unlikely. 5.7 ammo bullets tend to tumble end over end when once they enter material (human tissue, drywall, ballistic gelatin, etc....). In doing so, they dump all of their energy into the target, making overpenetration unlikely. And if it did go through the intended target, it is doubtful it would have enough energy to cause significant damage.

FNH recommends the SS195LF for defensive purposes, and it is a very effective round. Too bad, your friend gave up a damn good defensive pistol.

You gave your friend some bad advice.

The design of the 5.7x28mm cartridge (at least the ones available for civilian use) makes overpenetration highly unlikely. 5.7 ammo bullets tend to tumble end over end when once they enter material (human tissue, drywall, ballistic gelatin, etc....). In doing so, they dump all of their energy into the target, making overpenetration unlikely. And if it did go through the intended target, it is doubtful it would have enough energy to cause significant damage.

FNH recommends the SS195LF for defensive purposes, and it is a very effective round. Too bad, your friend gave up a damn good defensive pistol.

I did not give him any advice - he was the one that told me it would penatrate, I had never heard of a 5.7 before that.

They do make incendiary rounds for different calibers however they cause a short sparkler effect when they hit hard surfaces. In the video he obviously uses a bunch of explosive powder stacked behind the door. He must be insane to get that close!!!!

Well he did say that was the first time in awhile he has been scared by an explosion :)