streamlight vs surefire

After commenting in the flashlight thread about how i loved my Surefire Backup flashlight, the next day i lost it :( And after reading how several people were very satisfied with their Streamlights, I thought id give one a try. I picked up a Streamlight ProTac 1L. Very close in size to the Surefire Backup.

First off it is much cheaper than a Surefire around $50 compared to around $150. After taking it out of the package, i noticed it is a bit lighter feeling than surefire, not a bad thing necessarily when carrying it all day every day. But it just feels cheap to me, not as solid as a surefire. It comes with a duracell 123 battery. Not my choice but it would be odd for streamlight to ship a light with a surefire battery ( best battery IMO).

I noticed that it is rather tough to get it fully seated in my pocket. It goes to a certain point, lacking about 1/2" before bottoming out in the pocket clip. Rather annoying when just trying to slip in my pocket and go. It takes me two hands to get it fully seated, one holding the clip away from the body of the light and another holding the edge of my pocket, not ideal in the least.

Next i noticed that on high it is close to the same as surefire in light output on fresh batteries. However it has a strobe feature IN BETWEEN the high and low so i have to cycle through it every time i use it on low which is quite frequently. I have absolutely no use for a strobe feature on this type of light, maybe on one more suited for outdoor/hiking use but not an EDC light. This annoyance to me causes me to just use the light on high more than i normally would. And using this light on high, it burns through a battery in about 5-7 days. That is just waaaayyyy too frequent for battery changes. I could go for probably a month or more with a surefire with the same approxiamate usage.

The threads on the talicap feel very soft, like it would be very easy to cross thread it. And if you are able to take the lens cap off to replace the bulb, i havent figured out how yet.

It would be ok for someone who carries it alot but doesnt use it much, but i am constantly using it. Maybe I was spoiled by Surefire but i am just not impressed with it. My surefire i had complete confidence in and didnt doubt it at all. This streamlight is another story, i kinda expect it to break soon if i dont quit using it, im very hard on my every day tools.

I will be picking up another surefire backup very soon. Paid $100 for my last one, couldnt believe prices had gone up that much. I guess you really do get what you pay for though.

Just my experience and my thoughts on it. YMMV

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I love things that make light almost as much as things that go bang.

I am not sure which model of Streamlite that I have but it only has two functions,...on and off. I got it in a trade so I dont know what it would have sold for new and it is also several years old. It did not come with a belt clip so I rigged up a lanyard for it and it is my go-to light around the house. It gets used a lot and 2 123's last about 5-6 months in it.

Lately I have been on a Fenix kick and have two PD-31's,(about 60 bucks) I EDC one of those and the other is attached to my main grab bag/range bag. I am currently looking at several of Fenix's TK line of lights for my next purchase. My goal is to have a bag for each member of the family that will all have at least two good flashlights in them. The small Mag-Lites are what I currently use for back-up lights to the better ones.

I can understand why, if you carry and use a light a lot that you would want one that you had more confidence in. If I did not feel confident with a light that I used a lot I would be looking for another one too. You may want to look into the Fenix lights, most of which I think are going to be a bit less expensive than another SureFire.

Good Luck to ya.

• 9 months later...
  • Moderators
I too am a longtime Surefire fan (G2, then E1B, then E2DL, then Saint Maximus). Still have all of them but my daily carry E1B. I lost it. I think I am finally to the point of accepting that it is gone. Did some research on Streamlight, I think I'll stick with Surefire. I was looking at their website today, and noticed they have a EB1 (200 lumen version of the E1B). It's pricey, but that's to be expected. Thinking of picking up the EB1.
I love my Surfire E1B, carry it everyday and have for the past several years. My only complaint is that I finally broke the pocket clip when I was getting out of a vehicle quickly and it got hung up. If you're looking for something to carry everyday I would say get another Surefire but if you're looking for more of a vehicle light go Streamlight.
  • Moderators
[quote]I love my Surfire E1B, carry it everyday and have for the past several years. My only complaint is that I finally broke the pocket clip when I was getting out of a vehicle quickly and it got hung up. If you're looking for something to carry everyday I would say get another Surefire but if you're looking for more of a vehicle light go Streamlight.[/quote]

Call Surefire. They'll replace it. Heck, the rubber tailcap on my E1B has a hole in it and I was concerned it affecting its waterproof abilities. I called them, expecting them to send me a rubber tailcap. He said it was going to be no problem. I asked him if he could briefly explain how to replace the rubber piece. He told me that it is pressed in at the factory, and he was going to send me a tailcap assembly (metal, rubber, etc). The first time I never got it. I think it got lost or stolen in the mail. I called them back and requested the same thing, a week later I had a new one in the mail. All of this was free! To me, that is why Surefire's are worth their price.

Before that, I too had broken a pocket clip on my E2DL. I called to have it replaced, and asked if he could send me an extra. Surefiredly enough, I received two replacement pocket clips for my E2DL.

Some parts are available here:

http://www.surefire.com/rapid-replacement-parts

If you call I believe it is basically a per request consideration and fulfillment.
I would never use a flashlight that uses expensive CR123a for every day use. That would be extremely expensive.

If you are willing to give Streamlight another chance, I would recommend their new rechargeable series of Stinger LEDs. They have an output of 350 lumens with a two hour run time. I see these all the time at local mechanic shops. A very durable, heavy duty, and reliable light that is great for every day use.

On the other hand, I have two Surefire flashlights for tactical use. One is mounted on my AR-15 and the other is by my bedside. These are single output Surefire G2X rated at 200 (new ones are 320) lumens with a two hour run time.

My point is... different flashlights for different uses. It's important to use the proper tool.
  • Moderators
[quote]I would never use a flashlight that uses expensive CR123a for every day use. That would be extremely expensive.[/quote]

I on the other hand love using CR123's for daily use. Admittedly, I am interested in a rechargeable light. I just haven't found one that fits the desires I have in a light. Also, although CR123's aren't the cheapest battery, I worry a lot less about whether it works when I want it to. I suppose when I carry a flashlight in my pocket such as the E1B, the 5 lumen setting is good for most everything I use it for. Thus the batteries last a pretty long time. However, suggest to me a flashlight roughly the size of a Surefire E1B that is rechargeable, holds a charge, and is USA made, and I will take a look at it. I'd like an excuse to buy something:)
[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1354041633' post='851439']
I on the other hand love using CR123's for daily use. Admittedly, I am interested in a rechargeable light. I just haven't found one that fits the desires I have in a light. Also, although CR123's aren't the cheapest battery, I worry a lot less about whether it works when I want it to. I suppose when I carry a flashlight in my pocket such as the E1B, the 5 lumen setting is good for most everything I use it for. Thus the batteries last a pretty long time. However, suggest to me a flashlight roughly the size of a Surefire E1B that is rechargeable, holds a charge, and is USA made, and I will take a look at it. I'd like an excuse to buy something:)
[/quote]

Offhand I can't think of any rechargeables that are the size of a single CR123a battery flashlight. You're probably best off with what you have unless you're interested in a larger flashlight.
[quote name='w0lfattack' timestamp='1354042277' post='851452']
Offhand I can't think of any rechargeables that are the size of a single CR123a battery flashlight. You're probably best off with what you have unless you're interested in a larger flashlight.
[/quote][quote name='w0lfattack' timestamp='1354042277' post='851452']
[/quote]Surefire makes rechargeable CR123A batteries.
[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1354046422' post='851486']
Surefire makes rechargeable CR123A batteries.
[/quote]

No, they don't make rechargeable batteries. However they do sell a rechargeable battery kit on their website. You can buy rechargeable CR123a batteries at many places. I've never heard any good reviews on any.
[quote name='w0lfattack' timestamp='1354046631' post='851493']
No, they don't make rechargeable batteries. However they do sell a rechargeable battery kit on their website. You can buy rechargeable CR123a batteries at many places. I've never heard any good reviews on any.
[/quote]Ergo they make rechargeable batteries albeit in a kit? You are correct though, they aren't very good.
[quote name='gjohnsoniv' timestamp='1354046818' post='851494']
Ergo they make rechargeable batteries albeit in a kit? You are correct though, they aren't very good.
[/quote]

No, the batteries and the kit are made by a different company altogether. They are not surefire brand.

[quote name='CZ9MM' timestamp='1354046860' post='851496']
They do sell a kit on their site. It also mentions that run time is typically 50% of disposable CR123's.
[/quote]

Crap indeed.