Enhanced MS Permit?

I only saw one other thread touching on this subject. I am wondering since our permit requires actual class and range time if our permit will be accepted as a MS enhanced permit. I did not see anything saying one way or the other on the MS site but living in the Memphis area and goingt to church is MS this does concern me. Hopefully someone knows more than I do.

On a side note this is a great step in the right direction for MS. I can only hope TN adopts something like this.(Take away a few restrictions rather than adding exceptions preferably)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no plans from the MS DPS to allow other states' permit holders to carry in "enhanced permit" areas, and knowing the DPS I doubt they ever will allow it. There is a bill in committee right now that would allow church carry with or without a permit, but I'm not sure it'll make it out.

It's a pretty healthy list, found in MS 45-9-101

"(13) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed pistol or revolver into any place of nuisance as defined in Section 95-3-1, Mississippi Code of 1972; any police, sheriff or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his courtroom; any polling place; any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any public park unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; any school, college or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any portion of an establishment, licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any junior college, community college, college or university facility unless for the purpose of participating in any authorized firearms-related activity; inside the passenger terminal of any airport, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal if the firearm is encased for shipment, for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; any church or other place of worship; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. In addition to the places enumerated in this subsection, the carrying of a concealed pistol or revolver may be disallowed in any place in the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of such place by the placing of a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that the "carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited." No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize the participants in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is required to carry a concealed pistol or revolver."

Edited by Q-tip

There are no plans from the MS DPS to allow other states' permit holders to carry in "enhanced permit" areas, and knowing the DPS I doubt they ever will allow it. There is a bill in committee right now that would allow church carry with or without a permit, but I'm not sure it'll make it out.

So since I am a TN resident with a TN permit I cannot get the enhanced priveliges whatsoever? That doesn't seem very recipricol (sp?) to me.

Edit: I just called rangemaster about something unrelated and asked him if this was so and he confirmed. That definately needs to be addressed.

Edited by bendbolden

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it seems to me a lot of the list in post #4 is carry-prohibited by federal law, meaning that it wouldn't make any difference is state law said it was okay. Airports? Elementary schools? High schools? Colleges and universities? Does that mean that if you get the MS "enhanced permit" you can carry legally in an airport?

Guest 270win

If you have a license AND the state doesn't make it illegal, then you can carry in K-12 schools. It is legal in Alabama, for example, if you have a concealed pistol license.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it seems to me a lot of the list in post #4 is carry-prohibited by federal law, meaning that it wouldn't make any difference is state law said it was okay. Airports? Elementary schools? High schools? Colleges and universities? Does that mean that if you get the MS "enhanced permit" you can carry legally in an airport?

None of those you mentioned are off limits by federal law.

Schools carry is handled state by state. Except for beyond security area, airport carry also handled state by state. You can carry in non-secure parts of airports in TN if not posted.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I emailed Mississippi multiple times on the enhanced permit. First, I emailed the state attorney general, figuring they would be the best source for interpreting the law as they are lawyers. They stated they cannot give legal advice to citizens. They told me to contact the Firearms Permit Unit. After multiple emails, I was told by the director that the TN HCP (or any out of state permit) did not qualify for the “enhanced†provisions.

No offense but I don’t think this guy is a lawyer, he is a MHP trooper and this is just his opinion. What is it based on? I read the MS law (I’m not a lawyer either) on reciprocity and the enhanced provisions, and I don’t see where out of state permits would not qualify. The law does not mention out of state permits either way. The fact is TN HCP meets the requirements of the new law and MS has reciprocity with TN.

Edited by PC7

The wording of the law supports your opinion entirely. The interpretation of the Department of Public Safety, to whom the law gives authority to make the rules and regulations regarding the implementation of the law, is that only Mississippi permit holders can have the enhanced permit.

When MS Permit holder through the process to get the endorsement, they get a sticker on the back of their permit signifying that they are endorsed, and nobody is endorsed unless they have that sticker. Unfortunately, it goes a little deeper than the wording of the law in this case, since the law allows the DPS to make up rules as they go along. It's been a big hassle to get the DPS training requirements to where they are now, much less to residents of other states.

Guest 270win

Yes our TN carry permit should work for enhanced MS because the enhanced licensees in MS have to take the same sort of class with range time that we do.

The enhanced MS permit would seem to apply only to MS residents who have a permit and get the traing per MS law. Otherwise the off-limits places in MS law apply to any "regular" MS permit holder and ALL out-of-state permit holders from states the MS honors.

You can always check www.handgunlaw.us for info on off-limits places in any state, plus the do have info about MS enhanced permits.

It reminds be a bit of AL permits.... In AL sheriff's issue the permits and can place any restrictions on them they want above what is already in state law. That restriction applies to the permit holder anywhere he is in AL, not just the county of issuance. But for out-of-state permit holders the only restrictions are what is in state law.

Edited by Fallguy