Hiking/Camping Fixed Blade <$40 - Ideas?

Hey folks, my girlfriend and I have recently picked up a new hobby of back country camping. We have enjoyed it very much and plan on doing it again soon with her niece.

Anyway I am looking for a good sturdy blade that I can beat the crap out of without worrying too much about for around and preferably less than $40. Right now I have a SOG Seal Pup which I find to be quite too nice for the current application and will be selling/downgrading hopefully for something more practical.

Again, the use is hiking/camping. I don't necessarily need something to chop up wood as I have a 18" Trail Blazer on the way.

I definitely want something that is tough - preferably a high carbon blade and not 440 if possible.

I will probably using it for cutting up tinder and/or carving - things of that nature.

It doesn't have to be pretty. I fully plan on abusing it therefore cheap is preferred.

Sheath required - as long as it works.

ABSOLUTELY want a full tang blade.

Right now I am looking at the Cold Steel Bushman SK-5 7" and Condor Tools Varan 8". I don't really like the finger guard on either of them but it is what it is.

61c5ix5AgQL.jpg

Bushman ($21):

http://www.amazon.co...1705375&sr=1-42

31YUxmONfwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Varan ($30):

http://www.amazon.co...ref=pd_sbs_sg_5

A little bit above your stated budget but it sounds like a Becker BK2 would be perfect for you. 1095 steel, full tang with a kydex sheath. 10.5" overall length and built like a tank. You can get one for about $60 delivered from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-BK2-Campanion-Fixed/dp/B001N1DPDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331729743&sr=8-1

I definitely saw that Kabar Becker BK2! It's pretty much perfect except for the price tag. If I'm going to spend that much money though I might as well spend $20 more and get one of those infamous RAT 5's! I'm kind of wondering though with how thick and fat these blades are does it make it harder to poke holes in... things... vicous animals..? lol That being said, maybe I would be better of with a fighting Ka-Bar although it may not hold up as well. I don't know...

It's okay, that's what I have a gun for I guess. And by the way, the Trail Blazer is a camp saw, not a machete.

I definitely saw that Kabar Becker BK2! It's pretty much perfect except for the price tag. If I'm going to spend that much money though I might as well spend $20 more and get one of those infamous RAT 5's! I'm kind of wondering though with how thick and fat these blades are does it make it harder to poke holes in... things... vicous animals..? lol That being said, maybe I would be better of with a fighting Ka-Bar although it may not hold up as well. I don't know...

It's okay, that's what I have a gun for I guess. And by the way, the Trail Blazer is a camp saw, not a machete.

At that price I'd assume you mean the Ontario RAT 5 and not the ESEE. Just my opinion, I'd take the BK2 over the Ontario any day of the week.

Guest Shootermcgavin

Mora is good and is known throughout the world for keeping its edge. It's more for hunting from what I've seen though. I just got a couple of esee izulas and I love them. They are small but if you are getting a zombie slayer it would fit your needs as far as general camp use and carving. Plus with the unlimited lifetime guarantee you don't have to worry about wrecking it. It's $60 but worth it IMHO. a6890d9e-fbc2-1428.jpg I also have the esee-6.

The SOG is a great knife. The thing about knives is.....you will know when it feels good. Everyone has their favorite knives and you will know when you hold it in your hands. You need to think abou what your needs are from a blade. If you need to cut kindling, you need a Machete or a tomahawk. For just around the camp utility knife the SOG would be great. I'm a big fan of SOG knives and carry one every day. A SOG Flash Tanto spring assist.

Edited by Will Carry

I definitely saw that Kabar Becker BK2! It's pretty much perfect except for the price tag. If I'm going to spend that much money though I might as well spend $20 more and get one of those infamous RAT 5's!

FWIW, I use the BK2 as my preferred camp knife. Absolutely no complaints. The sheath is even decent quality.

Personally, a Mora is a very good value. There are about 30 models, but all are an excellent value! They start at around $10 and go to $60 or higher. They come in carbon steel and also stainless. They come VERY SHARP with a scandi grind. They are excellent at slicing and carving, so they work well around the camp. They are a little light for batoning, but people do it all the time. If they break, you are only out $10 or so, no big deal. The downside of them is the sheaths. They are pretty lame, but it doesn't take much to make another sheath or mod them into something that a lot more handy.. There are all kinds of how to's on the web. If you think they might be something your interested in, I recommend www.ragweedforge.com. Guy name Ragnar runs the site and he's a super guy. You won't find a bigger collection of Mora's. The other thing a bout a Mora is for the price, you can buy several, one for you and one for your girlfriend of under $30.

I have 3 of them. A #1, a modded 511 and a 780, which was discontinued a couple of years ago. The last is a laminated blade, the first two are carbon, which I prefer to stainless. I also have a Condor Kumunga, which is just a big Varian. If you are backpacking and hiking both of those are too heavy to carry. You want something light for that.

If you like the Becker offerings, then check out the BK11 or the BK14. Both are around 3" inches and very sturdy and both are in your price range for a basic knife. They run $32 and $34 on amazon.com and qualify for free shipping. The BK14 looks like the brother of the Izula above.

BTW, if your getting into hiking, backpacking and Bushcrafting, I recommend you check out www.bushcraftusa.com. Great site with lots of good info!

Right now I am looking at the Cold Steel Bushman SK-5 7" and Condor Tools Varan 8".

I'll just comment on the ones I own:

The two Bushmen are great values, though I like the Bowie model better:

Knife_Cold_Steel_Bushman_Bowie_Blade_95BBUS.jpg

Not nearly as thick as the Condor, but hard to destroy, impressive tests online -- has obvious plus of being able to use as spear; carry a wood screw to completely anchor a whittled shaft through small hole in the end. The accessory pocket is cool.

The GI Tanto is another inexpensive option, handle scales easily remove for lashing as spear, too. Practically indestructible also:

80pgt.jpg

They're making it with Secure X sheath now also:

CS80PGTKa.jpg

The Condor's are all exceptional value, tough as nails looking at all the online tests (haven't personally abused one yet). I have the Rodan, Varan, and Kumunga. The short Rodan may well be the overall most utile of the three though, compares to Becker Campanion in size. May be a bit rough around the edges as for fit and finish, not a consideration at all if it's for use and not show. The lanyard hole is poorly placed in my opinion, needs to be further back, your hand covers it on all three models.\

Rodan:

100_1007.jpg

The three Condors have quite big grips in circumference, small hands may not love, and they're not super tactile either. The leather sheaths are very very nice indeed. The two larger models swivel out of the way for easier sitting.

Varan:

CN2388HC.jpg

Kumunga:

Kumunga8.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I appreciate everyone's opinions. This decision is really hard for me for some reason. Right now I am trying to decide between that Condor Rodan and the Kabar BK2. I am leaning towards the Rodan because not only is it in my price range but the BK2 seems more like a camp axe as opposed to a knife. HOWEVER, I really don't like the sheath that it comes with. The BK2 at least comes with a kydex sheath instead of the ~leather storage tube~ the Rodan comes with. I feel like I'd stab myself if I fell on it hiking. If anyone wants to make me a free sheath, let me know. ;) Gotta spend that extra money on a Lanksy sharpening system you know! (since I can't sharpen worth a $hit without a guide)

Does anyone have any experience with the Ontario Tak-1? Looks like a sweet blade. I guess I'm looking at more expensive blades now... I really don't think I want the Kabar Becker BK2 anymore. It's a compact axe. I don't need that.

I don't but everyone I've ever seen post says they are great.

Main argument for ESEE vs Ontario of similar size seems to be sheath and lifetime warranty.

I do have an Ontario RAT1 folder. A really really nice all around 4" folding knife. Taiwan though, not USA like their larger blades.

- OS

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest ab28

I have about 4000 miles of hikes under my belt, including a 2010 thru of the Appalachian Trail. I carried a Mora for a long time, good blade, light, it's in my car now with a firesteel and hunk of magnesium attached to the sheath. With batoning, you only need small stuff anyways, as building a tiny fire is the starting point. For a cheap, reliable, and lightweight fixed blade knife, I have found the Folts Minimalist hard to beat. If you have any backcountry questions, feel free to PM me, my AT post is in the survival section.

2" blade, 1.5oz with sheath.

I carry it at work for a boxcutter/last ditch defense weapon, and it is so light, you forget you are carrying it.

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=folts+minimalist&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&cid=14883997752424728742&sa=X&ei=-ZPLT8e2BpCi8gTO0MCeDw&ved=0CEoQvhcwAQ

Moras are excellent knives! They have just come out with two new models the Light My Fire and the Robust. The Light My Fire has a fire steel that fits in the grip made by Light My Fire. The Robust is the first Mora with a blade that is 1/8" thick. My favorite fixed blades tend to be 4" or less and are 1/8" thick or less. Any thicker and they are just a sharpened pry bar to me. I do like my big chopper blades to be around 1/4", but I don't carry the big blades hiking. Just too heavy.

Here is a link to Mora Knives sold by Ragweed Forge. The owner, Ragnar, is an excellent person to deal with and this is a super site with a lot of info on scandanavian knives.

http://www.ragweedfo...ifeCatalog.html

And a review of the Mora Robust on youtube.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

Moras are excellent knives! They have just come out with two new models the Light My Fire and the Robust. ....

(Not my pics following)

Picked up a Robust recently. Very nice.

morarobustWEB.jpg

Also, what Ragnar seems to call a "Sport" but everybody else calls a "Scout". They come in several colors, including black.

FT440G.jpg

Also got one that's right at 6" long blade .. very nice; can't even find a pic of it ...

I'll try to do a review on some of these soon. Oh yeah, and a couple of Mora fillet knives, too.

- OS

• Like 1