looking at some 22 cal

byoung

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 10-22 and they both work fine with cheap ammo. One does not like soft lead nose ammo, the other eats anything at all. You can get good jacketed cheapos, like federal bulk.

10-22 is plenty accurate, how good did you want? A higher quality gun will do better farter away, but they cost more...

Don't fight the Force. Unless you want some higher end tack driver, get a 10/22 and shoot it for a couple or three generations.

Stay away from Rem Golden Bullet and all will be well.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

50 to 100 yards mostly 50 with her what about a savage mark 2 any body have one

Garufa will hopefully chime in, he has a nice one with Accutrigger, beautiful thumbhole stock, fat barrel, scope, came bundled that way.

All of them are more expensive than the 10/22, and all of them (at least the ones with Accutrigger) will outshoot it out of the box too. Then again, difference is a couple/three inches at 50 yards, and the Ruger will still hit a tin can pretty reliably at 125 yards (with a scope)., So just depends on your expectations.

Drawback: no let er rip rapid shooting with 25 round mag like the 10/22.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Admin Team

Everyone needs a 10/22 in their collection. They're relatively inexpensive, a good size for young shooters and have a decent set of iron sights for teaching fundamentals.

I've got several, including one race dragon that was made from a billet 80% receiver and designed specifically to shoot Aguila SSSs. But, the one that I got under the Christmas tree as a kid is a cherished possession that I love to shoot to this day. There's no telling how many 10's of thousands of rounds that rifle has seen, and still continues to run like a champ.

A coke can has never met a more formidable enemy.

• Admin Team

I don't have a Mark II, but I do have a couple of other Savage rimfires with the Accutrigger. On average, they're only about 3" longer than the 10/22 carbine, but they feel like much more "grown up" rifles. I know several kids who love to shoot my 10/22 who have problems getting behing my 93R17 without shooting prone.

The AccuTrigger is great, and the bolt action is great for teaching fundamentals. But, like Mac said above, one of the joys of the 10/22 is getting a 25 round magazine (or one of the old Eagle Industries 30 rounders) and just blasting the heck out of a target.

Guest tnh2owader

I have a Savage Mark II BTVSS. They are very good rifles that shoot

very accurately for their price range with the right ammo.

I agree that the 10/22 is one of those 'gotta have one' guns. It's a fine design that is inexpensive enough to own and feed so that anyone can afford it.

But, as you improve your shooting, you will discover that the 10/22 has some flaws that detract from good shooting. The sights pretty much suck. The trigger is OK, but can be easily improved. And then you can spend some serious coin getting the accuracy of the rifle to decent standards. There is a large industry built up to improve the 10/22. It is all a matter of how much you want to spend.

OR, you can just leave your 10/22 in stock configuration for tin-can destruction, and get a Savage MKII for your accuracy needs. Or, if you are worried about the end of the world, buy a used Marlin M39a and you will have a rifle which will eat almost any .22 rimfire ammo ever made (aside from .22mag, .22 Winchester Rimfire, .22 Winchester Auto, and .22 Remington Auto.). It will also shoot better than 95% of all rifle shooters, and will outlast anyone now alive with a little care.

I used a Henry to teach my daughter to shoot, then I came home with a 10/22 and she fell in love with that thing. She now pretty much out shoots me with either one. She claimed that one as hers so I bought another, they both eat anything you put in 'em. Both are fairly accurate, but i've got a Marlin model 25N that will out shoot either of them and it didn't cost as much.

My nephew has a wood/blued 10/22 and it shoots pretty nice with the irons. Feels nice in the hands, too. I have an old Winchester 190 that already looked very 'used' when I got it. I have an inexpensive, adjustable .22 scope on it. I also have a Glenfield (Marlin) model 60 I use with iron sights. Honestly, to me, all three of those shoot about the same (all of them decently well for my purposes.) I am thinking about getting a 10/22 because I like the way they look. I like the removeable, box mag and the fact that there are hi-cap mags available for them. I also like that there are furniture kits that allow them to be made into an M1 carbine clone.

To be completely truthful, though, for sheer fun factor my Henry lever action .22 LR takes the prize. The majority of my early rifle experience was with a lever 30-30 and that is my favorite platform. I use the iron sights on the Henry and because a lever was the platform I more or less learned to shoot a rifle on, I am a little more accurate with the Henry within iron sights range than with any semiauto I have ever fired.

Edited by JAB

well I picked one up today did not get to play with it much. but I'm very happy with it my little girl likes it to.

Get a couple of the Ruger 25 round mags once she gets bored with just 10 at a time. Or you do. :)

Really, just the Ruger ones, now that they finally decided to make them - they're aces.

- OS