Don't think this is how the "stand your ground law" works

Guest peacexxl

Sounds more and more like Zimmerman has a protector somewhere in the local LEA. If he indeed does get indicted for something, I'd be surprised if another head doesn't roll.

- OS

Sanford, Florida (CNN) -- After a no-confidence vote and demands for his resignation, pressure mounted Thursday on the police chief of the Florida city where unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin was killed.

Sanford city commissioners voted 3-2 Wednesday night in favor of a nonbinding measure of no confidence against Police Chief Bill Lee. It was not immediately clear what impact, if any, that would have.

Well normally I would agree with you that authorities shouldn't make arrests based on sensationalized pressure from the press, but I think in this case it was good they got the word out.

Really? You think that people should be arrested based on "sensationalized pressure from the press" IF it accomplishes something you happen to think needs to be accomplished?

I remember some Duke lacrosse teem members who were arrested based a great deal on sensationalized pressure from the press.

I remember some young black men who were arrested for raping Tawana Brawley because of sensationalized pressure from the press.

How about we only arrest people based on EVIDENCE.

Legitimate press where facts, ALL the facts are presented or a cover-up uncovered...yeah...that's good...that's one of the major functions of a legitimate press. Sensationalized stories that include some facts and leave other facts conveniently out of the story (so as to puss an already formed opinion) are another matter.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 3
Yes, the Feds are investigating to see if this qualifies as a hate crime and it seems as if I heard they are looking at the police department related to information that at least one officer has been involved in unethical or illegal conduct during the investigation.
Under federal law and public opinion Zimmerman can't possibly be charged with a "hate crime". See, Zimmerman is mostly hispanic, only pure white european desendents can be charged with a hate crime.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/03/21/trayvon-martin-case-does-race-play-role-even-though-zimmermans-not-white/

Edited by K191145
Guest peacexxl

Sounds like he might have an expanded vision of the ground he was 'standing your ground' on. Aggressive neighborhood watch in a gated community of 250 homes. Did he consider the entire gated community 'his ground'?

I'm thinking he's not a choir boy, and neither is his victim. However, I also absolutely detest the authorities coming back after him because of political pressure. Arrests, charges, indictments, convictions must be fact based and worked through a court of law, NOT the court of public opinion backed up with race-tinged mobs.

This poor sucker is probably going to get some sort of Eric Holder 'Justice" Department federal civil rights charge, in a racially-charged, media-fueled circus.

Yes we know Zimmerman is not a choir boy, but how do you come to the conclusion that the victim wasn't either. With all the reports and information you have about the kid, what indication do you have that he has ever done anything wrong?

And if this "poor sucker" did what it seems he did, then I hope he gets what he deserves from whatever source can dish it out.

Most importantly, lets get this circus to trial so we can at least TRY to find the truth!!!

Guest peacexxl

A lot of talk is going on about the 911 operator telling Zimmerman not to follow. I can tell you even if someone is breaking into your house with a baseball bat screaming "I'm going to kill you" the 911 operator will tell you not to confront them and to hide in a closet. The guy saw a stranger in his neighborhood and stopped him to see what he was doing then the gay attacks him. Zimmerman did not chase him down and shoot him he waited till he was on his back getting hit in the face before he shot him.

He was a neighborhood watch captain in a high crime neighborhood so I would think he would call 911 a lot.

What account is any of this based on? Are you a popular fiction writer? Have you been published anywhere. There is almost no reality in your statement. You are either trolling or delusional.

If the kid was not doing anything at the time that Zimmerman decided that he did not want him in his AO it does not matter what he may or may not have done in his past. At the time he was walking back to a residence and eating candy. Maybe he threw his candy wrapper on the ground and that set Zimmerman off.

Based upon the 911 calls that the shooter made in the past it was only a matter of time before this happened. He was hunting.

Really? You think that people should be arrested based on "sensationalized pressure from the press" IF it accomplishes something you happen to think needs to be accomplished?

I remember some young black men who were arrested for raping Tawana Brawley because of sensationalized pressure from the press.

How about we only arrest people based on EVIDENCE.

Legitimate press where facts, ALL the facts are presented or a cover-up uncovered...yeah...that's good...that's one of the major functions of a legitimate press. Sensationalized stories that include some facts and leave other facts conveniently out of the story (so as to puss an already formed opinion) are another matter.

Uh I think that was police officers accused due to media/"Rev." Al/"Rev." Jackson pressure.

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id315.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

Edited by bubbiesdad

Uh I think that was police officers accused due to media/"Rev." Al/"Rev." Jackson pressure.

http://eightiesclub....d.com/id315.htm

http://en.wikipedia....ape_allegations

Yeah...you're right, they were white, not black (that's what I get for "remembering" rather than looking it up) but do you think that really makes a difference to my point?

In both cases, people were arrested, based at least in part on sensationalist journalism whipping up a frenzy.

And yea, good ole' Reverend Al and Revered Jessie were sure there calling "justice"...I"m so glad both are staying out of this one...oh wait...

I remember some Duke lacrosse teem members who were arrested based a great deal on sensationalized pressure from the press.

And what does a Duke lacrosse player have to do with this guy stalking and killing a 17 year old boy?

Like I said in an earlier post, when this story first broke I figured there was something missing from the boy's side of the story. Perhaps he was up to no good. It wasn't until it broke nationally that I heard the 911 tape and then read the transcript. I didn't need a sensational story in the media to figure out what happened here. The media accounts really have nothing to do with my opinion; Zimmerman's own words were what formed my opinion.

I'll agree 100 percent that the media has sensationalized this story for the purpose of exploiting racial tensions in order to boost ratings. I bet folks like Anderson Cooper lay in bed at night praying that something like this will happen so they can feed on it like vultures. But that doesn't mean something really wrong didn't happen here. The 911 tapes alone should be enough for the PD to look very hard at this instead of writing it off as a SD shoot. Hell, maybe they were and the accounts of altering witness statements and not doing a toxicology on the shooter is false.

What I do know as fact are what came out of Zimmerman's own mouth. He stalked that kid. He got out of his car. He shot him. Unless that boy was in the act of committing a serious crime (on a public sidewalk) he had no business initiating confrontation and subsequently shooting him.

News conference from down there on momentarily.

Police chief Bill Lee: Temporarily removing himself, has "become a distraction" to the process

City Manager Norton Bonaparte: Will appoint an interim chief. Case turned over to state attorney's office with US Dept. of Justice assistance.

Short and sweet, that's about it.

- OS

Guest RevScottie

Interesting that no one on here has brought up the fact that the Police didn't arrest Zimmerman because they had multiple eyewitness accounts that seemed to back his claim. One account read that Zimmerman was walking back to his truck and the 17 year old attacked him from behind. A neighbor witnessed Zimmerman laying on the ground screaming for help with the 17 year old on top of him beating him with his fists. The neighbor went to call 911 and heard a shot fired. The 17 year old was then seen laying on the ground. Police reports indicate Zimmerman had a laceration to the back of his head, a bloodied nose and wet grass stains on his back all which would support the neighbors account.

The question is what transpired from the time Zimmerman aproached the 17 year old till the time he he was laying on his back and apparently shot and killed the youth? Those circumstances should determine his guilt or innocence. Please note their is NO report anywhere that supports the idea that Zimmerman accosted the youth at gun point. The gun is not mentioned until it is fired while the two are struggling on the ground.

Interesting that no one on here has brought up the fact that the Police didn't arrest Zimmerman because they had multiple eyewitness accounts that seemed to back his claim. One account read that Zimmerman was walking back to his truck and the 17 year old attacked him from behind. A neighbor witnessed Zimmerman laying on the ground screaming for help with the 17 year old on top of him beating him with his fists. The neighbor went to call 911 and heard a shot fired. The 17 year old was then seen laying on the ground. Police reports indicate Zimmerman had a laceration to the back of his head, a bloodied nose and wet grass stains on his back all which would support the neighbors account.

The question is what transpired from the time Zimmerman aproached the 17 year old till the time he he was laying on his back and apparently shot and killed the youth? Those circumstances should determine his guilt or innocence. Please note their is NO report anywhere that supports the idea that Zimmerman accosted the youth at gun point. The gun is not mentioned until it is fired while the two are struggling on the ground.

Actually that entire statement is contrary to another witness account of the incident.

• Like 1
Guest RevScottie

Actually that entire statement is contrary to another witness account of the incident.

And thats the reason he should not be arrested and a Grand Jury should determine if there is enough evidence to proceed, not the media, NAACP, neighborhood watchers or any other group.

Edited by RevScottie

And thats the reason he should not be arrested and a Grand Jury should determine if there is enough evidence to proceed, not he media, NAACP, neighborhood watchers or any other group.

Agreed 100 percent.

• Like 2
And what does a Duke lacrosse player have to do with this guy stalking and killing a 17 year old boy?

Nothing.

I thought it would be obvious that what it does have to do with is your statement where you said...

Well normally I would agree with you that authorities shouldn't make arrests based on sensationalized pressure from the press, but I think in this case it was good they got the word out.

I think arresting someone "based on sensationalized pressure from the press" is stupid, dangerous and a affront to our liberty - I believe that people should be arrested because and ONLY because the evidence justifies it and never because the media turns a situation into a circus. Is that some sort of radical view now? :confused:

The two cases I referenced (and there are many more that I could have) I cited to show just how dangerous and stupid it is to arrest people based on sensationalist media.

No matter how guilty anyone thinks Zimmerman is; this case needs to be handled on facts; not sensationalist media stories and not because Sharpton and Jackson want him crucified.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Haven't been watching TV lately but today saw on the web some of the TV show interviews of witnesses, relatives, lawyers and ignoramus talking heads about this Zimmerman thang. Regardless whether Zimmerman is guilty or innocent, given so much publicity they will have to move the trial to Borneo in order to find an impartial jury.

Sounds at least guilty of serious bad judgement. Dunno any law. Would following and confronting the kid be considered reckless endangerment even if it is true that the kid jumped him and was winning a plain old fistfight?

Edited by Lester Weevils

Nothing.

I thought it would be obvious that what it does have to do with is your statement where you said...

I think arresting someone "based on sensationalized pressure from the press" is stupid, dangerous and a affront to our liberty - I believe that people should be arrested because and ONLY because the evidence justifies it and never because the media turns a situation into a circus. Is that some sort of radical view now?

Okay, I see how my statement could be misunderstood so let me clarify: No, I don't think arrests should be made due to pressure from the media or any special interest groups. I DO think it is important that such organizations draw attention to cases like this where a thorough investigation should be conducted, but is perhaps being mishandled.

History has shown us that public servants can make mistakes due to incompetence or even corruption. Only after intense media scrutiny and outcry from the people have government officials been forced to perform their duties properly and punish those that have done wrong. This is evident all throughout the civil rights movement.

The people want to see justice done. If this guy is innocent then that should come out either after a thorough investigation or in a courtroom. Anytime that you have an unarmed person dead from another's hand there should be intense scrutiny. Like I said, maybe there is; maybe the media reports blasting the investigation are wrong; maybe the DA was only days away from making an arrest or clearing him of wrongdoing. I don't know that.

What I do know are the words from Zimmerman's own mouth, and they tell a story of an over zealous mall cop looking for trouble. Congrats to him, he found it. Now he can wear the badge of courage you get from shooting an unarmed teenager. Hero indeed.

Guest wdytia

I have followed this story and have heard several interviews. These are the facts I have heard from several different sources. While I was not there, everything I type has been stated by multiple people and I have heard no one challenge any of them. 1. Zimmerman was self-appointed; he was NOT a registered neighborhood watch captain. The neighborhood watch training manual specifically instructs to "Watch" and notify police; DO NOT approach and the police training for the neighborhodd watch members in Florida specifies "NO GUNS". 2. Many residents were afraid of him, thought he was strange and avoided him. 3. As a private citizen, he had NO right to stop, question or harrass this teenager. 4. The teenager was returning from the store armed with a can of iced tea and a pack of Skittles. His father lived in the neighborhood with his fiance; the kid was not randomly sneaking into a gated community, he belonged there. It was raining and he wore a hoodie on his head. 5. After being followed/stalked by this stranger, the teenager told his girffriend, who says she advised him to run to avoid Zimmerman. When confronted by Zimmerman, no one knows exactly what went on, but apparently there was a fight, and the teenager was shot. In spite of his background that some may question, the kid had every right to protect himself. I have heard two different 911 tapes. Screams for help could be heard on both; a gunshot could be heard, then the screaming immediately stopped.

For those that say let the courts handle the case and that the media is pulling the race card; almost NO investigation was done after this killing. This is the reason the family attorney contacted the media. The cops merely took the shooter's word that it was self defense; why? He was not held for questioning; he was allowed to go home with his gun. Standard practice is to drug and alcohol test any shooter and to take the weapon and test it as well. None of this was done, however, the teenager's corpse was tested for drugs and alcohol. This child laid in the morgue for THREE days, while his parents called his cell phone multiple times, looking for him. The police did not answer his phone and did not call any numbers in his phone to try to identify him. The police finally sent a Narcotics officer to inform the parents on the third day. Law inforcement officials refused to meet with the family; as of Thursday, they still have had no meeting they requested with the state attorney. If this was your child what would you do?