Gotta love the smell of new motorcycle tires!

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I bought me a new set of tires for the GS500F! I have just over 10k miles on the Bridgestone's that came on the M/C. I've still got some tread left on them, however the side walls have small cracks. So just to be safe might as well put some new rubber on. I went with some Pirelli Sport Demon's in 110/70-17 and 130/70-17. Paid around $220 for the set. Now all I need is to find a shop that will put them on for cheap. Anyone in the Nashville area got a contact?

Pictures

DSC00001-1.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003-1.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll like those tires. I know lots of people around knoxville (me being one) who can mount them. Take the bands off and leaving them sitting in the sun before they're installed... the installer will thank you.

Tools to do it yourself are pretty inexpensive. They'll pay for themselves in a couple changes.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

You'll like those tires. I know lots of people around knoxville (me being one) who can mount them. Take the bands off and leaving them sitting in the sun before they're installed... the installer will thank you.

Tools to do it yourself are pretty inexpensive. They'll pay for themselves in a couple changes.

I really don't have the time/tools/patience to change the tires myself.

What do they look like on the bike? I considered buying a GS500 a couple years back.

I will post pictures when they are mounted!

Go buy some good quality spoons and learn to do it yourself. It's a PITA the first couple of times but you will save a fortune doing it yourself. I used to set the wheel in between two 2x4s and back my car up on them to break the bead. Primitive but it works, helps a ton if you have a friend to help. Not joking about buying quality spoons though, if you get small cheap ones you will learn very quickly how far you can throw them and the extent of your personal 4 letter vocabulary. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions. One other thing, if you don't have stands for your bike... I put 4 eye bolts in my basement ceiling and bought a 4 pack of heavy duty ratchet straps for about $20. For less than $25 I have a rid that will pick up any bike that I own and suspend it from the ceiling. I wouldn't try that with a large cruiser or heavy touring bike but it works fine for dirtbikes, motards and sporties.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Do you have stands to take the rims off?

It will be cheaper if you just bring the rims and tires in.

I don't have a set of stands.

I work 2 jobs (60 - 70 hrs a week). Thus I don't have time to do the work myself. Just easier to take the m/c and have someone do the work in less time than I would spend F'ing up the tire change.

As far as buying the tools to change the tires myself, I have other projects that need taking care of.

#1. New brake rotors and pads for the Jeep

#2. New battery for M/C

#3. New tires for Jeep

The list goes on......

I work 2 jobs (60 - 70 hrs a week). Thus I don't have time to do the work myself. Just easier to take the m/c and have someone do the work in less time than I would spend F'ing up the tire change.

As far as buying the tools to change the tires myself, I have other projects that need taking care of.

#1. New brake rotors and pads for the Jeep

#2. New battery for M/C

#3. New tires for Jeep

The list goes on......

Having someone else mount them is also soooo much easier. :D

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Howard's Honda may be a good close bet.

I didn't think about Howards Honda. I'll give them a call and find out how much to switch out the tires.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I've got a contact (MotoRider) on Sportbikes.net that might work out. MotoRider, gave me a good quote. Just not sure if that quote includes taking the wheels off the m/c and putting them back on the m/c again.

I stopped by Howard's Honda and they want $55 bucks a wheel. Howard's will never see any business from me, especially when they want over $100 to change out the set!

I've got a contact (MotoRider) on Sportbikes.net that might work out. MotoRider, gave me a good quote. Just not sure if that quote includes taking the wheels off the m/c and putting them back on the m/c again.

I stopped by Howard's Honda and they want $55 bucks a wheel. Howard's will never see any business from me, especially when they want over $100 to change out the set!

And now you see why folks buy the tools and do it themselves. I think I've got about $120 in the tools. ... $170 if you count the rear stand.

JC Whitney bead breaker... $70

Home-made balancer ... $30

Rim protectors ... $20

Rear stand... $50

I also use eye hooks in the ceiling to hang the front of the bike.

My numbers were with me taking the wheels in, off the bike.

I assumed you were going to do that part. Considering Howards has to take them off the bike and remount them then that may not be too bad.

Also they are not a Suzuki dealer, changing tires is one thing, having an off brand in their bay probably has a extra fee attached. :P

Check out TNT if your other plans fall through. They're close too.

I can vouch for MotoRider, he is a real nice guy and can get you them taken care of.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

My numbers were with me taking the wheels in, off the bike.

I assumed you were going to do that part. Considering Howards has to take them off the bike and remount them then that may not be too bad.

Also they are not a Suzuki dealer, changing tires is one thing, having an off brand in their bay probably has a extra fee attached. :P

I made no mention of what brand of sportbike I owned when inquiring cost from Howards.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

New tires are on and this is what they look like after a short ride from Lavergne to Donelson.

NewFrontTire.jpg

NewRearTire.jpg