What handgun caliber(s) do you carry for self defense?

What handgun caliber(s) do you carry for self defense?  

275 members have voted

1. 1. What handgun caliber(s) do you carry for self defense?

• .32 ACP
    • .357 Magnum
    • .357 SIG
    • .38 Special
    • .380 ACP
    • 9mm
    • 10mm
    • .40SW
    • .45 ACP
    • Other not listed

• Administrator

I think the most shocking thing -- to me at least -- is the lack of popularity for the .40SW round in this poll. If I were to have guessed I would have predicted that the .40SW would have been more popular than the 9mm.

Interesting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry the biggest pistol I can dress around, usually a Glock 22, there is something comforting to me about 16 rds. of .40 on tap. When I need to be more discreet an old S&W 649 Bodygaurd in .38 spl. fits the bill nicely. My favorite pistol for shooting is a full size 1911 in .45, but to me it is too heavy to carry all day especially at work. It is my opinion that cartridges below .38 spl. +P are somewhat less than optimum, but that the real world difference between 9mm, .40 and .45 with good ammunition are not that great and you should carry what you shoot the best. That's my two cents, I don't mind if you disagree. :cool:

Currently a 9 or a .40. I have carried just about every carry pistol round at one time or other, except .32. I don't remember ever owning a .32.

Occasionally I carry an old HK .380. A great little gun, the HK4. They were the first pistol made by HK. It is very similar in design to the Walther PP.

Guest DrBoomBoom

Mostly 9mm, often .32ACP, sometimes .44spl, .38spl, and .45ACP. Also, within the last year, .22lr stingers in deep concealment.

Guest CleanSeries80

.45 acp only. govt model as a primary carry and a Comabt Commander for a bug. being able to use the same mags for both guns was a big plus for me