Browning high power 9mm

Peevee

I have been wanting one of these for quite some time now. I finally found one.

I have owned several models of glocks, sigs and colt 1911's and this to me

out shoots them all. I shot one at a range a few months ago that a instuctor

owned and it gave me the fever. It just fits my hand right.

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/pvolner/?action=view&current=0423121940.jpg

Edited by pvolner
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NIce. This is the real brainchild of JMB.

Yes... and no. He died long before this got to completion. That French guy (wazzizname?) completed it. It's really more him than JMB.

JMB's original concept for it was... to be... "striker fired."

Yes; JMB was going to one up Gaston.

Yes... and no. He died long before this got to completion. That French guy (wazzizname?) completed it. It's really more him than JMB.

JMB's original concept for it was... to be... "striker fired."

Yes; JMB was going to one up Gaston.

Oh if only he'd had another 8 or 10 years to work it out. We'd all be carrying a hi power I think.

Guest Lester Weevils

Sad to say I've never shot a HiPower.

It is said that CZ-75 borrows a lot from HiPower. They do look kinda similar. Is it easy to describe whatever "difference in feel" in the hand there is between a HiPower and a CZ-75 or 85? Is the feel very similar or significantly different? Just curious cause I like my CZ-85C and won't likely sell it, but it doesn't quite fit my hand correctly if I ride the thumb safety. Hand ain't quite big enough for a stubby trigger finger to get a good hold on the trigger, without giving up on the idea of riding the safety with a stubby thumb.

Just curious if it might be the same situation on a HiPower or if the HiPower grip width is a little narrower or the grip-to-trigger distance is a little shorter?

Edited by Lester Weevils

Sad to say I've never shot a HiPower.

It is said that CZ-75 borrows a lot from HiPower. They do look kinda similar. Is it easy to describe whatever "difference in feel" in the hand there is between a Hi-Power and a CZ-75 or 85? Is the feel very similar or significantly different? Just curious cause I like my CZ-85C and won't likely sell it, but it doesn't quite fit my hand correctly if I ride the thumb safety. Hand ain't quite big enough for a stubby trigger finger to get a good hold on the trigger, without giving up on the idea of riding the safety with a stubby thumb.

Just curious if it might be the same situation on a HiPower or if the HiPower grip width is a little narrower or the grip-to-trigger distance is a little shorter?

The grip on the CZ is a little thicker but more comfortable due to the grip panels. The HP can be made nearly identical with better grips. The stock HP grips are awful!

As far as the CZ they make triggers that have less reach to them. They are fairly easy to drop in and you can get anything and everything CZ from Angus Hobdell at CZ Custom. He is the CZ competition shooter and gunsmith and is very nice to work with. Give them a call and they actually answer the phone and try to help you. ;)http://czcustom.com/

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks BryanP, Steelharp and Smith.

I put amazingly thin and nice looking/feeling aluminum grips from czcustom on the CZ85C and swapped in the "single action" style factory safety on the left side which is not as huge as the czcustom extended safety, but sits lower and is just enough bigger to make it easier to hook a thumb on.

Thought about buying the parts to convert it to single action only, either do it myself and maybe screw it up, or pay a local gunsmith to do it. But most likely send it off to czcustom one of these days and have it done.

Think I have big or medium size hands but short fingers if that makes sense. The "best" grip as explained by famous 1911 gurus has the gun firmly centered in the web between thumb and trigger finger. I can actually do that on a 1911 and reach everything.

Steelharp was saying that his son was taught by the marines to get his finger well into the trigger rather than just the pad of the finger. Was trying that out "for feel" on a couple of "fat" guns, and in order to get that much finger on the trigger moves the back of the pistol grip centered on the first knuckle of the thumb. And the thumb is in a place where not only would it be difficult to ride the safety, it might be "iffy" if I could reliably reach the slide safety on a Beretta 92 or Cougar at all, except by flipping the safety before adjusting the grip to get more trigger finger.

Will play with it next time at the range and see how it shakes out. My accuracy sucked before reading that the gun should be centered in the web of the hand, and it also sucked after adopting that method, so maybe the grip advocated by astoundingly phenomenal 1911 gurus isn't quite applicable to every non-1911 gun or shooter. That "1911" grip is easy to do on a Kahr pistol as well as a 1911.

Apologies drifting the topic. Was just curious about the BHP ergonomics. Will most likely get a BHP sometime or the other. Its odd but the Beretta92 or Cougar is if anything fatter than the CZ-85, but for some reason it doesn't feel so awkward in the hand. Everybody's got different hands.

Guest Scramasax

The Highpower. Perfection in 9mm. DA autos are a solution without a problem. Trying to cull my HP collection to just carry guns. Still is very difficult. If you like the feel of it now, try thinner grip panels. Congrats.

ts

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scramasax

I have two . Wiener .22 conversion units with 14 rd mags. Been using them for 7 or so years. They both work great. Just have to keep them real clean. One is on an Inglis with a shoulder stock and the other is on a .40. Very fun to shoot guns and double cheap in .22.

cheers,

Ts