Thoughts on Walther P99

DWARREN123

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going with the 9mm is more of a non issue now than it once was but actual platform’s is every bit as emotional as in years past. What feels right to you and is in your price range should be the deciding factor. Overall it all comes down to apples and oranges

Guest drv2fst

I had a P99 for a while. It worked flawlessly. It was more accurate (for me) than many other plastic guns. I can't remember why I traded it off. Probably just bored.

I had one of the earlier P99s, somewhere around 2003. Very good gun. Currently own ( recently bought ), a

PPQ in 40. Love it, awesome trigger & reset. As Ropinforgold said, mags are expensive....if you an find

them. $50 - $60 bucks for the PPQ.

As for aftermarket sights, Trijicon & Meprolight are the only two mfgs. at the present. I have the Trijicon

WP01Y, green front, yellow rear, on mine. work great.

The P99 is currently offered in two versions, P99AS & P99QA. If you're interested in going with Walther,

be sure to visit the Walther forum. Loads of good info & reviews from users there.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/

I went with the PPQ mainly due to the trigger system. 5.5 lb pull, or less, .400 in. travel, .100 in reset.

Check out the specs for each & decide which fits your personal needs.

Can't go wrong with either. Everyone that's tried mine, jaw dropped. No joke.

Good luck.

Guest bulluck533

The 99 has actually been replaced by the PPQ which I really like. Has one of the easiest triggers you will see and they are a fair price.

I wouldn't have any problem with a P99. I actually contemplated getting one a few months back, but ended up getting a P226 instead because I carried a Sig when I was a LEO. I have a Walther PPS, and it's probably the nicest handgun I own as far as fit & finish go. I have also switched to 9mm for almost all of my carry guns. Based on my research, the 9mm is every bit as effective as the .40, which was the round I was issued and carried for years. It's generally cheaper, easier to shoot, and you get better capacity with the 9mm over the .40.

The PPS is a nice smaller gun. Wish I had gone that route now instead of the Taurus PT709. Wife liked it & was

going to use it when she got her HCP. Don't think that's going to happen. Been carrying the 709 in my front

pocket. Good gun as well, just not up to the PPS.

I have 2 P99s one compact it 9mm and a fullsize in 40SW. I have big hands but both fit decently, I have them both in QA but I like the feel of the AS trigger a little better( One plus for QA is double strike, AS does not have that capability ). They are very accurate, fun to shoot, easy to take apart and good looking guns. And since they are German made so they are of great quality.

My brother owned one several years ago. I shot it a few times and found it to be the most inaccurate pistol either of us has owned. Both of us are experienced pistol shooters and we couldn't hit anything with it. He sold it after a few range trips.

One of the rare complaints I've heard or read on the P99 series. Most say just the opposite. Possibly

you did get your hands on a bad one.

The PPQ is very accurate.

Very possible. I know every manufacturer produces lemons but it tends to leave a sour taste in your mouth for that particular brand. Sadly it is the only Walther I have had the opportunity to shoot.

Quite true. That does tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth. I've been down that road with various products

myself, as everyone else, I suppose. Doesn't really make you want to take a second bite of the apple.

I would go out on a limb, tho, & suggest if you get the opportunity, take a bite out of the PPQ. Think you'll

find your appetite will increase.

Guest HCRoadie

My first gun was a P99 QA 9mm. It is around 7 years old and has well over 5k rounds through it. ZERO malfunctions and I find mine to be extremely accurate. The different grip inserts just make it feel so right in my hands. I disassembles super easy. I always say it is the gun Glock wish it could be. Function is just as reliable, it fits a human hand better, it is cosmetically way nicer, and was in the same price range when I got mine.

P1012709.jpg

My first gun was a P99 QA 9mm. It is around 7 years old and has well over 5k rounds through it. ZERO malfunctions and I find mine to be extremely accurate. The different grip inserts just make it feel so right in my hands. I disassembles super easy. I always say it is the gun Glock wish it could be. Function is just as reliable, it fits a human hand better, it is cosmetically way nicer, and was in the same price range when I got mine.

P1012709.jpg

beautiful gun right there

I have a p99 with the AS (anti stress) trigger in .40. I like the da/sa trigger of the AS. The P99 and the PPQ ergonomics are my favorite.

Better than the MP, Hk, and SIG, but that's my fit. The PPQ trigger gets high marks.

The P99 in AS is still in production. The QA is not.

If you google those items,there are many reviews.

Your choice then is PPQ or a long search for an AS.