Kel-tec Sub 2000, in the Glock flavor

gjohnsoniv

Well I told myself I wouldn't spend anymore on firearms for the moment after buying some reloading equipment, and a Vostok CM-2 this weekend. That is until my local gun store sent me an e-mail about an hour ago saying that they had finally gotten in a Sub2k. I torn between waiting and buying it this weekend. :wall:

The question is are they really worth it? I've been waiting at least five or so months to get one and think the concept is great, but I'm unsure as to whether or not I should. Anyone have any input?

Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 3 of them. I get one, sell it, get another, sell it... you get the point. I will probably get another one as soon as I find one in 9mm for the Sig/Beretta/S&W. They are neat little pistol caliber carbines. Are they "worth it?" That depends on what you want it for. If you think it will take the place of a rifle caliber carbine, then no, it's not worth it. If you have a Glock in the same caliber and would like a compact carbine that will share mags and ammo, and give you a little more accuracy and muzzle velocity for plinking or close-range self-defense, then you can't beat these for the money. There are plenty of inexpensive mods you can do if you are so inclined.

I was looking for one originally for the P226/92f because you can swap out the mag release for the other. I don't want to turn down one though for the Glock because that's the next pistol on my list. I don't have a pistol caliber carbine either. The ability to fold up is what really interests me the most. They're easily stored and carried.

I was told by one of my Glock toting friends "don't get the Glock 9mm Sub2K." I never listen. He had one once also. I got one and had it about a month. Put a little aftermarket on it and took it to the range a couple of times. You couldn't pry that thing out of a 10-12 yr old's hands. It is a neat package made out of materials and in such a manner it begs the question of durability. I was certainly afraid to drop it. The pivot pin point Does Not elicit this comment, "That looks sturdy." The front sight is down right "hinky." There used to be a company that made an aftermarket front sight out of metal, but I am pretty sure they discontinued that piece or the company disappeared, can't remember which. I say get one and play with it. You certainly won't have any trouble reselling it.

That was the answer I was looking to get. The front sight is the only thing that makes me nervous, but I haven't read any real complaints about that. I think I'm going to go by today and put a deposit down on it and then fully pay for it later. It will also give the excuse to buy a Glock and magazines now :pleased: .

I have the SUB2K in a Glock 19.

Love it, and have no issues with accuracy or feeding with Khan 33 rd mags.

If you need to try one, I am somewhat local to you.

B.

Sure that would be great. I think I'm pretty much set on it though at the moment. Like I said, I've been waiting at least five months for one to be in stock somewhere or show up online for a fair price. Not the 750 dollar one on Armslist and GOC. Edited by gjohnsoniv

I had one for a short while. Some people can shoot them accurately, I couldn't. Then again, I really, really hated the front sight on the thing. I sold it to a forum member who put up pics of an aftermarket sight on it. I could probably shoot it a little faster than a Glock 17, but, for me, the difference between my accuracy with the Sub 2k and a normal handgun just wasn't that much. I'm sure it would be much better for someone with eyes that pick up the site well.

I too have been interested in these for a while. If they are accurate enough for soda cans at the 50yard mark, that's good enough for me.

Graycrait, when you say the idea of dropping it made you nervous, do you mean anymore so than any firearm with plastic hardware?

Aside from the front sight is anything else found seriously wanting?

Guest ochretoe

I have one in .40 that takes my Glock 22 mags. I love it. It is very accurate. I can hit a clay pigeon at a 100yds almost every time. I am setting up an aim point and laser for it now. Fun gun and eats ammo like I do shrimp. Get it and have fun.

I was told by one of my Glock toting friends "don't get the Glock 9mm Sub2K." I never listen. He had one once also. I got one and had it about a month. Put a little aftermarket on it and took it to the range a couple of times. You couldn't pry that thing out of a 10-12 yr old's hands. It is a neat package made out of materials and in such a manner it begs the question of durability. I was certainly afraid to drop it. The pivot pin point Does Not elicit this comment, "That looks sturdy." The front sight is down right "hinky." There used to be a company that made an aftermarket front sight out of metal, but I am pretty sure they discontinued that piece or the company disappeared, can't remember which. I say get one and play with it. You certainly won't have any trouble reselling it.

I never felt like the Sub2K was delicate. Yes, the front sight is a bit cheap looking. That's probably the only real problem with them IMHO. That said, Kel Tec has a great warranty and great customer service so if you do booger anything up on it, they will make it right. Red Lion Precision still makes a steel front sight assembly for the Sub. I installed one on the last one I owned. To install it, you must remove the factory sight. This process makes you appreciate how durable the polymer plastic is on the front sight. Removing it is a surprisingly frustrating and time consuming process. I have also heard of people replacing the KT factory sight with a front sight assembly from the Hi Point carbine. If - likely when - I get another Sub, I'll just stick with the factory front sight. It's plenty durable for the weapon's intended purpose.

I suspect the biggest issue related to accuracy is that the carbine doesn't lend itself to getting a good solid shooting position or cheek weld. It does take a bit of contortioning to get a good sight picture. It also has a pretty limited sight radius, which doesn't help things.

One other downer with the Sub is that it has a pretty sharp recoil to it since it is a straight blowback action with little to absorb the recoil from the bolt. Tactacool sells a recoil buffer that helps, but it prevents you from locking the bolt to the rear.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I bought one of these in Glock with a broken front sight. I called KelTec and they sent a free replacement. After installing, it's easy to see how they get broken. I can't remember the exact problem now, but as best I can recall, there was a screw to tighten the orange plastic sight piece and a screw to move it. If you don't loosen the correct screw, your attempt to move the plastic piece breaks it. I suggest you read the online instructions before attempting to adjust the front sight. I also touched up mine with some day-glo orange gunsight paint. I think others on the KelTec forum (KTOG) have replaced the plastic piece with a heavier piece of plastic cut out of something. They also replace it entirely with the Hi Point 995 sight. The break-down pivot does look flimsy, but I'm sure there's an aftermarket part if that bothers you.

Apparently, from what I've heard, Kel-Tec has redesigned the front sight to make it easier to adjust. I'm also wondering if it would be possible to cut the top off the rear sight so it would be like the SCAR/ACR style sight. Might have to call them and order an extra rear sight to modify a little.

I've got one, it's minute of torso out to 125 yards or so with no front sight at all, just lining up the two ghost rings (yeah, mine broke but no biggie).

I'm impressed with how reliable the thing has been, absolutely no failures at all with any ammo. Mine's the Beretta config, and it's really slick with the Beretta 30 round mags.

- OS

I remember shooting yours at the shoot. Only it had the front sight post as I remember it.

Yeah, I had replaced it by then, but really, for suburban hedgerow SHTF purposes, it's accurate enough without one. :)

- OS

Yeah, I had replaced it by then, but really, for suburban hedgerow SHTF purposes, it's accurate enough without one. :)

- OS

It's no sniper's rifle. I really wish there was a better method for attaching optics though. I've been pondering that for a while. I might just have to be happy with a laser.

Has anyone tried the Redlion forend? Looks sweet.

http://www.redlionpr....com/23512.html

I have only used the front sight assembly, but from the posts I have read on KTOG, the folks really like that quad rail. It's pricey, but it's allegedly very durable and from the quality of the front sight I got from RLP, I have no doubt that the rail would be any different. They are commonly on backorder, so that should tell you something as well.