Is anyone intrested in learning to make their own?

Guest Scramasax

This is a nice offer. I used to love hammering hot metal. been a long time and only worked with coal once with Larry Downing. Mostly worked with gas forges. That was pre-ha, don't know if I could take the heat anymore. Would like to hang out anyway. I live in Nashvile and would be willing to drive and share the ride for some help with gas. Don't have a crew cab but do have a four door Raptor. We could have a mini rally at the same time.

Cheers,

Ts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would so be up for this. Any chance you want to drive to Nashville and hold one here? Know anyone in this area that does or would do one closer?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

It's only about 2 hours or less from Nashborough!

Spot, I am not in the knife selection much I have read your thread in general. When you have another get together send me a PM and I will try to make it. I might even talk to you about me bringing some metal to work with.

Edited by vontar
Guest Broomhead

Well, Dad and I had a blast and got to meet a couple of new friends today, Spots and his dad, Wendell.

Here is the RR spike knife that Dad and I pounded out. It has a skull-ish face for a pommel and a nice curved blade.

Forging22.jpg

Forging20.jpg

Forging18.jpg

Here are some hooks that Wendell taught us to make, the top is Dad's, middle is Wendell's, and the bottom is mine.

Forging23.jpg

The whole menagerie that was created, two of the three hooks, the knife, Spots' squirrel fork, fire striker, and RR spike hawk that accidently split at the eye.

Forging14.jpg

Spots' fork and hawk again.

Forging7.jpg

A closeup of the Spots' hawk made from a RR spike.

Forging4.jpg

My dad, Sbroomheadsr, posing with his wall hook.

Forging3.jpg

A closeup of my wall hook. Notice the blister just below my pinkey. That's just one of three.Forging2.jpg

Edited by Broomhead

Thank you guys for coming out. I cant believe we split the eye on that hawk, but such is life. Next time we will upset the steel into a 3/4" - 1" egg shape so we have a bigger area to pull the eye from. Im glad you guys had fun, the knife turned out great. That hammer will sure out the blister on until your used to it. Ive done enough I dont blister up anymore but my forearms will be sore from that 4 lb shop hammer on that hawk head lol. We will get together again soon.

A great big thank you to two true southern gentlemen. Spots and his father were gracious hosts. We talked about forges, anvils, tools, how to do things and what not to do.

I had so much fun and learned so much. I look forward to a return visit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm glad you enjoyed the visit, and Dad was extremly happy to share some knowledge and meet some good people. I'm gonna start planning a fall event very soon to give everyone time to plan.