Jericho 941/Baby Eagle

After years of lusting after one I stepped foot into a local shop up here that just happened to have a Baby Eagle II Compact in steel in the case. After years of thinking I wanted the full size, and paying no attention to the compact or semi compact, it all went away the second that sweet thing hit my hand.

I spent the next two months drooling on the case until I finally got permission from the boss. She may or may not have been bribed. So last weekend she spotted a Rossi Ranch Hand. I may have used the fact that Zoe from Firefly/Serenity used one of these on the show, which was all it took. I finally had permission to get the Jericho.

So I stroll back into the shop this morning with high hopes, and had them all dashed to pieces. It was no longer in the case.

Someone had bought it.

There has been another customer in the shop the last couple of times I visited (it has become an every Saturday thing for me to grab some ammo) and I was not the only one lusting after the Baby Eagle. Last week when I left, he called his wife, told her if he didn't buy it right then, someone else was going to. And it went home with him. For once, that line worked, and was right.

But all hope was not lost. The proprietor promptly ordered me a new one, matched the old price and all is right in the world again. I might also add that his price is better than Buds, which also within driving distance.

I am rather excited, It is my opinion that the Jericho 941/Baby Eagle (in steel) is the most aesthetically pleasing firearm I have ever seen. I have seriously been lusting after this pistol for years, and was crushed when they stopped being imported. Now I am finally at a point in life where I have enough disposable income to buy something plainly because I just damn want it.

I have found a supplier for holsters, but I am striking out on magazines. This is the compact that feeds from the 12 round mags. I know I can order them from Magnum Research, but I wonder if anyone could get them cheaper.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh, I've been drooling over those for quite a while myself. You'll have to give us the full rundown once you get it. I ran across one in a pawnshop a few months ago that was several years old. Didn't look at it in great detail, but I would guess it was at least 15-20yo. Beat all to crap, which is why I didn't buy it. But I agree, it felt REALLY good in my hand. I like an all steel frame, nice and heavy, and this one fit nice. Congrats!

EDIT: Just looked it up, Jericho 941 was only introduced in 1990, so it was probably more in the 15yo range. Beat up as it was, now I'm really glad I didn't buy it. It obviously had a hard life!

Edited by CapnVideo

The one they had in the case had simple three dot sights.

I am not sure what will be on the new one, I assume the same.

I formulated a list several years ago, when I got serious into firearms. 9mm has become my default caliber. I grandfathered into several thousand rounds of 9mm from my father. As such, I saw no need to buy anything that chambered different. Fast forward more than a decade, and all of that 9mm is gone, however, I have grown used to the round. To be completely honest, I don't think I have shot more than 1000 rounds combined of anything else in a pistol. .357 is the anomaly, being as I beat through the woods with a Marlin lever action chambered for it. I have shot more through a rifle in that caliber than a pistol. Background aside.

I formulated a list of historically significant 9x19mm pistols. My Glock was defaulted to the list as it is what I carry. It is a short list. Beretta 92, Browning/FN Hipower, CZ 75. Throughout history these are some of the most internationally recognized 9mm pistols of the last half century. The Jericho 941 fills the CZ spot on the list, as it is a well made clone, that is in my opinion more aesthetically pleasing than the CZ.

I am still on the fence about adding the Steyr GB to the list, but I have had that on my radar for a long while.

• 1 month later...

So, yesterday was my birthday, so since I ordered this a while back, I decided to pick it up today.

Jericho 941B or a Magnum Research. Pictured next to a Glock 19 for comparison. This the compact version. 12+1. Full Steel.

img_20120713_143921.jpg

Here it is pictured on top of the Glock 19, as you can see, it is nearly the exact same size. However, the weight is a big difference, with the full steel frame.

img_20120713_143954.jpg

This is a Bianchi Carry Lok holster. It is my belt holster of choice. I have a Bladetech IWB Kydex as well, but it isn't shown for a reason...

img_20120713_144030.jpg

The Jericho fits and locks right into place with the leather holster. It won't in the Kydex. I will eventually get a fitted holster for the Jericho, I was just seeing if it would fit since the sizes are close.

img_20120713_144008.jpg

I will take her to teh range in the morning and put a few magazines through her to see how she does.

Right now she is a range toy, I am not sure if she will replace my Glock as a carry weapon. The Glock has never failed through thousands of rounds. I would honestly feel naked without it. But I sure do like the new one.

Congrats on finally getting the Baby Jericho. I know you'll enjoy it. I did sell my 40 version and kinda, but not real hard, looking for a 9. So many to choose from out there. But still got the 941 kit.

Edited by hipower

Ran two boxes of PMC 115fr FMJ brass through it.

Shoots like a dream. No malfunctions, shot a little below point of aim at 7 yds, but grouped two inches for the first ten rounds.

I ran a magazine through my Glock, shot POA at 7 yds.

Shot the Jericho again, and started hitting POA at 7yds, grouping two inches. I didn't try for accuracy or speed, just controlled shot a second.

The trigger has some take up on it, in SA, but breaks clean. The DA pull is heavy, but smooth. The weight soaks the recoil right up makes it easy to get on target and control the muzzle.

I am pleased.

I did not realize they were importing them again. I had a full size .40 and sold it years ago like an idiot, Been wanting to replace it since. I will be paying my local shop a visit to see about getting a new one. I kinda like the rail addition on the new ones too. They are awesome guns. A true combat weapon.

When Kahr bought Magnum Research they started importing them again. They have six variants now (not including three calibers.) Steel and polymer, full size, semi-compact and compact. I know that the polymers have a good reputation from those that have bought them, but I think they are ugly, especially compared the beauty of the full steel models.

I get a kick out of a lot of reviews I read on these, folks claiming they are ugly. I guess there is something for everyone, because I firmly believe this is the best looking pistol out there. And it shoots well to boot.