Winchester 1897

Went to the gun show in Chattnooga and a Winchester 1897 12ga pump riot gun followed me home. :pleased:

It was made in 1902 and has had the wood replaced somewhere along the way. Action is very slick. A real Blast From The Past!

I will run some rounds thru it in honor of Memorial Day.

Thank all you Vets out there for your service. :usa:

• Like 1

Amen brother. The two greatest shotgun designs ever created were the Winscheser '97 (...which i love and cant stand to be without!!!...) and the Browning Auto 5 (...which i can never find just like i like at the price i like...). It's great that these two pinnacles of shotgundom were invented by the same man who gave us the 1911.

It is very fitting that crossfire fire the "97 riot in honor of Armistice Day. The '97 did a lot to cause the Armistice to happen. Now to find some great black powder loads for the firing!!

Keep up the good work!

lerroy

• Like 1

010-1.jpg006.jpg007.jpg005-1.jpg

Didn't mean to post the pic's like thiis, but this new program is a pain to use. I had no problems posting pic's from photobucket before, now for some reason it turns into a major project.

I tracked the ser# C165xxx back to 1902 and that works with the Pat. dates. Receiver and barrel #'s match.

I will take it out later today and run a couple of rounds thru it.

Edited by crossfire

Does it rack smooth as glass like my mossberg 500 does?

Lets put it this way Ramjo, I have a Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey and I think I can get off 4 rounds with the 97 before I could get off 3 with the 835. I shot it this afternoon and it is "sweet".

Also,no trigger stop on the Winchester, just hold the trigger back and keep racking and it keeps going BANG.

I just may have a very nice Mossberg 835 Tactical Turkey for sale.

Thank You JMB :usa:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

I've got a couple of '97's I'm very fond of. One still has a long barrel, and I agonized over cutting it down. Finally decided to leave it original length - the other is a trench gun.

Both are as smooth or smoother than an Ithaca 37, and it just doesn't get any better than that.

• Like 1

Amen brother. The two greatest shotgun designs ever created were the Winscheser '97 (...which i love and cant stand to be without!!!...) and the Browning Auto 5 (...which i can never find just like i like at the price i like...). It's great that these two pinnacles of shotgundom were invented by the same man who gave us the 1911.

It is very fitting that crossfire fire the "97 riot in honor of Armistice Day. The '97 did a lot to cause the Armistice to happen. Now to find some great black powder loads for the firing!!

Keep up the good work!

lerroy

No need for BP,I believe the 97 was made for smokeless.

Crossfire:____________

I agree with the "safe to shoot aspect". Now to the "ceremonial and fun aspect" of firin the great model 97 (...the gun the germans called an "inhumane weapon of war" in ww1...).

There aint nothin greater than hearin the throaty "kaboom" and seein the white cloud from a black powder loaded shotgun. It's distinctly different and much louder than a smokeless load. You shoot and run around the cloud of white smoke to see what youve hit (...if anything...). If youve never tried it, it is worth it to see the show. Black powder loads were sold next to smokeless loads right up to ww2 (...i think...); and into the thirties (...for sure...). I believe that when the military guys do the cannon salutes use black powder because of the "kaboom" and white smoke.

Try it out. It's great.

leroy

Edited by leroy

Crossfire:____________

I agree with the "safe to shoot aspect". Now to the "ceremonial and fun aspect" of firin the great model 97 (...the gun the germans called an "inhumane weapon of war" in ww1...).

There aint nothin greater than hearin the throaty "kaboom" and seein the white cloud from a black powder loaded shotgun. It's distinctly different and much louder than a smokeless load. You shoot and run around the cloud of white smoke to see what youve hit (...if anything...). If youve never tried it, it is worth it to see the show. Black powder loads were sold next to smokeless loads right up to ww2 (...i think...); and into the thirties (...for sure...). I believe that when the military guys do the cannon salutes use black powder because of the "kaboom" and white smoke.

Try it out. It's great.

leroy

Sorry Leroy didn't understand where you were coming from. Years ago I shot black powder, I know about the sound and smoke! I still have a TC Hawken 50 cal. in the safe.