Hiking supplies, etc.

This may be in the wrong section, but it seemed to fit. I have been getting into hiking, mostly just day trips. Can anyone suggest any shoes or boots that are comfortable for hiking? I have normally just went in tennis shoes and not really had any problems, but I have been wanting to go on longer trips and want to be comfortable. I have been thinking about buying a tennis shoe/boot hybrid. Something lightweight that also has good grip. Any Suggestions? Also I have a daypack from walmart and also holds my camelbakk, it has been good for fishing and day trips, but I am looking for a pack that could hold a lot more stuff, especially a tent and a sleeping bag. Any suggestions would be great..

Thanks,

Tyler

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I'm an avid hiker and I use Merrell boots. Very comfortable. I think I got them from Gander Mountain. I also wear wool socks. As far as a pack, I love most anything from Kelty. For a simple overnight, any pack in the 30L-55L would be fine.

I really like Altama's ExoSpeed II's, they are extremey comfortable, very lightweight boots with a lot of ankle support (mine are 8" high) anyway they don't seem to be as durable as my last pair of Ro-Search boots as I have been wearing these Altama's every day for the last 3 years and this will be their last season, where as the Ro-Search I wore everyday for over 20 years before they were beyond repairing.

But the ExoSpeed II's are much better suited for hiking, even if they are not as heavy-duty as I'd have liked them to be.

They are very tough. I have one pair I've worn of over a year and a half. They are the best shoes like this I've ever owned. They wear like a tennis shoe, but there is enough meat in them that you don't feel rocks and such. They are also very flexible. Go try a pair on and see what you think. An Orthopedic Doctor recommended them first to my wife for their stability and for the fit. I bought my first pair at Mast General in Downtown Knoxville. I bought another pair at River Sports on Sutherland on sale a couple of months ago.

Edited by Moped

I have Hi-Tec boots that I've been quite happy with. I've found that the biggest thing for comfort with hiking boots is the footbeds/insoles. My guess is that most all hiking boot makers put the cheapest insoles in their boots, assuming that everyone will replace them with good ones anyway. The second biggest thing I learned was to get boots at least a half size bigger than normal and wear 2 pair of socks. I wear the fancy supportive, wicking socks with a 2nd pair of cheap cotton socks over those.

I'm also a day hiker, though I typically have at least 30 lbs of young'un on my back. My suggestion is to visit an outfitter place like Gander Mtn or BassPro and try out a bunch of stuff. There's so many options, it's difficult to figure out what's best.

Here's a good database of reviews. http://www.backpacker.com/gear/

The last thing you want to do is twist your ankle out in the woods, especially if you are alone. I'd suggest some boots for ankle support if you are going to be carrying more than 35 lbs and will be on some rocky terrain.

Whatever you do, you need to try them on in a store. What fits someone else may not fit you.

When I went to Philmont with my son years ago, I wore Montrail Torre GTX boots. Never had so much as a hot spot the entire 8 days on the trail carrying 45 lbs on my back.

Edited by DaddyO

I normally wear moccasins, but when the terrain is extreme I have a pair of Bates lightweight boots I can throw on. They are inexpensive and comfortable. I got mine at Academy for under $50. As far as my pack, I normally take a backpack with hydration bladder, but also think the Kelty packs are super for longer runs.

I used to work for Eastern Mountain Sports up in CT, (REI's main competitor) and sold a lot of hiking shoes. The bottom line is that the various brands tend to favor various foot shapes and you need to determine which brand is best for your dogs. If you have an REI anywhere near you, go try a bunch on. They also sell packs, tents, bags, stoves, trail meals, water filters....you get the idea. Both REI and EMS also have online stores.