Walmart selling Colt AR's

Guest FIST

yep, I picked up one of em a few weeks ago. I was going to purchase one at the LGS but it was almost 100 dollar difference so I broke down and paid the evil empire. If nothing else it will at least de vilify the AR platform somewhat. (Colt)

Edited by FIST

My local wallwart also sells the s&w. Come to think of it they have a pretty good selection all things considered. Definatly rather do business with them than my closest local shop. Sounds terrible I know, but hey I get good service at Cool Springs walmart, more than I can say about my local place.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I need to get down to D&T.

That's where I bought mine. They carry the Colt LE 6920 that comes with two 20rd mags.

I also seen a Sig with green Magpul MOE for about the same price I think as the Colt.

Then of course they have the DPMS 308 and a Bushmaster AR like the Colt.

Our Wally here in Gallatin was putting in a gun rack last time I was in... curious to see what goes there.

Since the military contract was awarded to Remington... this will probably help Colt, somewhat...

Edited by Steelharp

Since the military contract was awarded to Remington... this will probably help Colt, somewhat...

That and Remington has to pay Colt a percentage for every M4 they provide...

It looks like WalMart saw the writing on the wall and also got tired of missing out on the black rifle boom. If they'd start stocking reloading components it would be pretty nice too. Might force local rip off stores like BassPro to be somewhat reasonable.

Guest Victor9er

The Wallys around here haven't taken part in this selection yet, at least not the ones I frequent. Still the same 'ol boring selections. I did see 1 AR platform rifle about a week ago, but it was a .22lr not the 5.56

I've also seen a knife cabinet at the Walmart off Old Fort with Nikon and Leupold binoculars, and one of them had both Nikon and Leupold scopes (think is was the one off S. Rutherford Blvd.).

Those two Walmart Supercenters are where those cell pics came from. :)

Our Wally here in Gallatin was putting in a gun rack last time I was in... curious to see what goes there.

We just got all new weapons for two of my units. All of them were made by FN in Columbia, SC. There are about four companies providing the M4

FN makes M16A4's. If you received a FN marked M4, and there are some out there, it is a rebuild - not a factory new M4. There are not 4 companies providing M4's for the military. There was only one and now two.

FN Manufacturing Inc. in Columbia, SC also received a delivery order amount of $6.7M from the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command in Rock Island, IL, as part of a $29.8 million firm-fixed-price contract (W52H09-05-D-0080) for M16A4 rifles and M4 carbines

They were FN. I m not to sure about the rebuild but they sure look new. The lowers on all 200 of them were marked FN.

Colt Defense

FN

US Ordnance

Remington

Edited by R1100R

Do you have any pictures of the US Ordnance? I have never even heard of them making M4's nor have I seen pictures. I know they're known for the Mk43's though.

A factory new M4 will be a Colt and now Remington whenever they spin up (and they will pay a royalty to Colt for use of the TDP - which they CANNOT use for civilian models). FN's are rebuilt A2/4's.

Do you have any pictures of the US Ordnance? I have never even heard of them making M4's nor have I seen pictures. I know they're known for the Mk43's though.

A factory new M4 will be a Colt and now Remington whenever they spin up (and they will pay a royalty to Colt for use of the TDP - which they CANNOT use for civilian models). FN's are rebuilt A2/4's.

I will look again closley when I do inventory. The ones we have do not show the same markings as the rebuilt one's pictures.

Below from their first contract:

FN Manufacturing Inc. in Columbia, SC also received a delivery order amount of $6.7M from the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command in Rock Island, IL, as part of a $29.8 million firm-fixed-price contract (W52H09-05-D-0080) for M16A4 rifles and M4 carbines.>

They also have to pay royalties for the M16 family of rifles.

Colt does not own the TDP for the M4.

Here is the TDP for the M4. It is owned by the Army since 2009.

http://www.armytimes...arbine_070609w/

Colt owns the TDP for the M16 still. You can do your own research on the other.

Now back on track for this thread. I think I'm headed over to Walmart to look at these Colts

Edited by R1100R

That Army Times article was incorrect and they were called on it later. It wouldn't be the first nor will it be the last time they are wrong. The Army Times is a step above The Enquirer.

FN does not currently make M4's. What contract were they awarded for it (besides the one from '05 - which never provided M4s, despite what was said)? Auto Ordnance does not make US Military M4's. I've done quite a bit of research on this topic. As of right now, Colt and Remington supply factory M4's for the US military. A rebuilt M4 is something different (but I'll take it just the same).

I would love a picture of a US Military Auto Ordnance M4. I would also love to use one of their Mk43's, fwiw.

Edited by scoutfsu

The link doesn't work anymore and I lost the document when my laptop crashed. This is an excerpt found online:

As of July 1, 2009, the sole-source clause of the “M4 Addendum†expired. The Army now has the right to use the M4 TDP to second source production, as an extension of the 1967 licensing agreement for the M16. Until the end of calender year 2037, the Army will have to pay 5% in royalties to Colt for every M4 procured from second sources.

The TDP remains Colt proprietary data, and any second source M4 contractor will be required to sign non-disclosure agreements just as they do for the M16. The non-disclosure/non-use agreements for accessing the TDP will forbid the other companies from using Colt’s proprietary data for commercial sales. Once their military contract ends, the company will be required to be destroy all of the TDP information provided to them.

The following link provides the US Army’s standard non-disclosure/non-use agreement for contractors accessing the M16 TDP:

https://aais.ria.army.mil/AAIS/Solinfo/Standard_Attachments/Colt-M16_Non_Disclosure_Agreement.doc

And that's exactly what happened. Colt owns the TDP but it was sourced to Remington for this initial 24k.

FN challenged the sole source addendum back in the late 90's but their protest was denied. I'll find some info for you later if you like.

But on topic, I think it's awesome you can find a Colt at WalMart. I know I was tempted to buy it just because....and I already have too many AR's. The $1087 (price here in Memphis) isn't as great as the $950 they were going for a couple months ago but it isn't too shabby considering you can walk out the door with it.

Guest FIST

My local wallwart also sells the s&w. Come to think of it they have a pretty good selection all things considered. Definatly rather do business with them than my closest local shop. Sounds terrible I know, but hey I get good service at Cool Springs walmart, more than I can say about my local place.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I need to get down to D&T.

Got down there for the first time today, excellent people. You need to make the trip.

Nice gun but I just can't buy a firearm from walmart. I actually try not to even go in there.hah

American based company publicly traded on New York Stock Exchange, American employees selling American made guns to Americans.

Really is quite distasteful.

- OS

• Like 1