Silly question # 312

Questions you may think to silly to ask.

My First one.

Say I am running XXX powder in a 223 at the minimum load and it hits at 100yards where I want it to.

But say I want to load ammo for 200 or 300 yds and make the round hit on target with not moving the settings on my scope.

Is there a chart or rule to go by to make the ammo hit at 200 or 300 by adding more powder ( Up to the max safe load)

I think I made this clear LOL if so or not lets talk it over.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my take

Take a look at the ballistics for .223 Rem on Remingtons calculator .

For example, there is a very wide delta from 100-200 yards for any given projectile, not taking in any other factors. I doubt that you can reliably calibrate the powder charge, especially for 300+ yards. Easier to get a BDC scope for the rifle and your favorite load.

To answer your question, I have not seen charts to adjust the powder as you describe.

B.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Admin Team

I guess it's possible, but it seems like it would be confusing. I don't know that you'd get out to 300, and stay under max pressure even if you did. With M855, there's 12.17 inches of drop between 100 and 300, that's a lot to make up with extra powder, but I'm sure someone will chime in with the math if it's possible.

I just moved to a Horus H59 reticle, and won't go back. you still have to know your dope, but it sure is easier to hold it over than to dial it.

I think you could do it, but you have it backwards. You need a max pressure load for the longer range, with the scope zeroed for the max range. Then you would have to back down on the powder for the shorter range. Would probably be ok for targets. Naturally, your close in hits are going to have a lot less smack. You can work it out in a ballistics program by just plotting your max range load, and then backing down on velocity until you hit the closer zero.

Here you go. 69 grain matchking at 3000 fps with a 300 yard zero. Drop the velocity to 2425 fps and it will zero at 200 without changing the scope. Drop it to 1762 fps and it will zero at 100. It barely made the 100 yard zero. A crappier bullet will probably work better. You're gonna need a chrony. This would be a fun experiment, but I wouldn't make it a practice. Too easy to turn the knob.

223zerovsvelocity.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

I agree with zero the scope for the far distance and hot load, then bring them down to match the distance. If this is an automatic rifle, though, it may well turn out that the reduced loads up close are too light to cycle the gun. If it is a BA or lever or similar gun, you can do it.

I did this for my mauser. After a few tries (I guessed right and it was close on the first try) I now have ammo that, using the 300 yard zeroed iron sights (for a standard load) are dead on at 100 yards. And it is *much, much* weaker than a standard load. I think the same would be true of the 223 and it will be too weak for an AR at 100 if dead on with a reduced load.

You can certainly DO it, though.

• 2 weeks later...