Been dreaming about an 1858

Guest SandowBob

Guest SandowBob

Howdy,

I love the polymer wonders and a good 1911 as much as the next guy, but there is something about a Remington 1858 that makes me smile. Anyone out there have one? Feel free to share pictures, video, or an opinion on which make is worth buying? I've looked at the Pietta model, and I've shot an uberti Navy model. The .36 cal was a dream to handle. Thanks for your time!

SandowBob

I've really liked my Pietta 1858 Remington New Model Army.

Then, I purchased a .45 Colt conversion cylinder for it, and now I REALLY REALLY like it.

It handles well and barks with authority. You really feel like you're shooting something.

And now, it's a lot less trouble to clean up after.

Cabela's has a really solid Civil War styled flapped holster & belt for it, in Confederate Brown or Union Black. I got one of each. If you're a righty, you wear the holster butt-forward on your left.

I've had a Pietta 1858 Remington Buffalo w/12" bbl. for about 17 years now and it's my favorite handgun - modern or black powder - of all time. I absolutely LOVE this pistol! ('Course it doesn't hurt that it shoots well enough to have won several competitions for me, either!)

:up:

Guest SandowBob

That's some high praise for Pietta! The conversion cylinder does give it more function. With the cylinder, are they proofed to handle smokeless powder?

Use a lube that isn't petroleum based, and your cleanup will be quicker and easier.

I prefer the Colts, a buddy prefers the Remingtons, these days there seems to be little difference between Uberti and Pietta - both are quality firearms - other than how they finish their wood.

I'm working on a shoulder holster for one now, as a matter of fact. Not entirely according to Hoyle, but a good way to tote these hoglegs.

I had one years ago. Don't remember the brand. Bought it at a gun shop near the interstate in Lebanon, paid 40 or 45 bucks for it new. Fun to shoot nasty to clean. Shot a pigeon out of a hackberry tree about 50 ft up mite near to downtown Nashville. Deader than a door nail when it hit the ground. Surprised the crap outta me at the time. One of those guns I wish I still had.

I'm going to get a Walker one of these days to sort of replace it. I was able to hold an original Walker a few months ago. Made me want one all over again.

Guest SandowBob

Looks like I'll be adding this to my growing list, of "Three months after I'm in TN", that list will be kept in an envelope with an ever growing amount of American 20's :D

SandowBob, come on down!

And by the way, according to federal law these cap and ball pistols are not firearms. You can mail order one, all you need is an address.

Cabelas is currently running a sale on the Pietta 1858, the Police .36 caliber is $229.

Guest SandowBob

Excellent! That'll be the first off the list then! That's a real beauty, can't wait to get down there. That price is great as well, they are starting around $320 up here. My girlfriends down there first, I may have to get her to order it for me, so I don't miss that sale price :D

Edited by SandowBob

I swapped out one of my regular .45 Ruger pistols in a SASS match last month with an 1858 in .44 without telling anyone except the Loading Officer. All of the chit chat behind the firing line came to an abrupt halt when all of a sudden the firing area was covered in thick black powder smoke after the distinctive double detonation of a C&B revolver. It was fun to do for a change.

Cherokee Slim

• Like 1

That's some high praise for Pietta! The conversion cylinder does give it more function. With the cylinder, are they proofed to handle smokeless powder?

Cowboy loads are fine with the conversion cylinder. I would not try regular modern day type cartridge rounds.

Guest SandowBob

SandowBob, come on down!

And by the way, according to federal law these cap and ball pistols are not firearms. You can mail order one, all you need is an address.

Cabelasis currently running a sale on the Pietta 1858, the Police .36 caliber is $229.

So, even just as a person working, and living in TN, (before I can apply for the proper visa that leads to a greencard), I can order one of these, and shoot it/possess, and it's all ok?

Edited by SandowBob
Guest bkelm18

So, even just as a person working, and living in TN, (before I can apply for the proper visa that leads to a greencard), I can order one of these, and shoot it/possess, and it's all ok?

Pretty sure. As Mark said, the govt does not consider cap and ball guns as "firearms", so there aren't any legal requirements to own one.

The Remington 1858 New Model Army Black Powder Cap & Ball pistol is not considered a firearm by the ATF.

The .45 Colt centerfire conversion cylinder for the 1858 NMA is also not considered a firearm by the ATF.

However, IF the .45 Colt conversion cylinder is "installed" in the 1858 NMA, THEN it is considered a firearm by the ATF.

Go figure.