Finally a Lever action 357!!

i Finally have a Lever action 357 thanks to a trade i made With RobTattoo its awesome!!! now i just need to get a good reloading setup!! its a Rossi 357 with a 16in barrel its stainless with skinner sights and an action job. here is a picture Courtesy of Rob

2012-06-06_09-44-59_65.jpg

Edited by TN Outlaw
  • Like 1

Good for you kiddo ... my guess is you'll never want to sell it (unless maybe you score a Marlin you like better).

My .357 carbine is right up there for perhaps overall fav rifle I own.

- OS

Thanks and yeah im not getting rid of it! now its time to commence operation Reload so i can start slinging some lead

Guest Lester Weevils

Congrats TN Outlaw that is a beautiful rifle. I have a blue Henry .357 with a longer barrel that works fine but would appreciate a shorter stainless carbine like yours as well.

Factory .357 ammo tends to be highway robbery but its not that much more expensive to reload than 9mm. It uses a little more powder per cartridge than 9mm but the powder is a minor expense for pistol reloads. The price of the primer is exactly the same for 9mm or .357. The heavier .357 bullets cost a little more than typical 9mm bullets because they contain more lead, but if you decide to shoot lighter .357 bullets the cost of bullets ought to be a near-wash.

There are so many reloading equipment options. If you decide to go Dillon, it may be penny-wise pound foolish not to at least get a 550. The 550 doesn't cost THAT much more than an SDB. Ain't been unhappy with my SDB but should have paid maybe $100 more and got a 550. Of course there are many less-expensive options that will load shootable ammo with care.

I"ve got a Puma Rossi with the 24" octagon barrel that I will probably never part with. Mine needs a little slicking up but over all I love it. Even if I was to find a Marlin at a good price, I would just buy it and then there would be two. Enjoy, when I seen the thread early today I knew it wouldn't be up long. Congrats to the both of ya'll.

I can reload the .357s for about $6.00 a box of 50 right now, but I am pretty sure the primers will cost a little more the next time I reup.

Edited by Sidinman
Guest bkelm18

You planning on some Cowboy Action Shooting? Seems you're on your way with the S/A pistol and now the lever action. I've been looking into it myself.

You planning on some Cowboy Action Shooting? Seems you're on your way with the S/A pistol and now the lever action. I've been looking into it myself.

you know actually i thought about it i just have no idea how or where to start.... first i have to get good with the revolver :pleased:

i will say this today was an adventure first we went to Crossville to get the 44 then to Mcminville to trade and back around to Pigeon Forge, round trip we were gone 10 hours and little over 300 miles on the road

Edited by TN Outlaw
Guest bkelm18

you know actually i thought about it i just have no idea how or where to start.... first i have to get good with the revolver :pleased:

I know ORSA in Oak Ridge has a monthly Cowboy match. Just need two SA revolvers, a lever action that shoots pistol ammo, and a double barrel shotgun. Plus you get to dress up like a cowboy which seems like half the fun.

I know ORSA in Oak Ridge has a monthly Cowboy match. Just need two SA revolvers, a lever action that shoots pistol ammo, and a double barrel shotgun. Plus you get to dress up like a cowboy which seems like half the fun.

if Oak ridge was closer i would consider it.... well i have the hat, boots, and shirts i need a duster and a cowboy holster and belt and im good to go :D

Nice. I've been wanting one of those myself for the past several years. They are hard to come by. I've been ready to buy a couple of times but every time I'm ready to pull the trigger, they are out of stock. I've always been too late on the few that have popped up on here. Have fun with it.

Wished you lived closer man, I cast a Lyman 358429 that drops around 160g. It's a keith style bullet and it would probably run well in that little rifle. They work better in .38 special though. You get length issues with .357.

38Norma.jpg

• Like 1

Wished you lived closer man, I cast a Lyman 358429 that drops around 160g. It's a keith style bullet and it would probably run well in that little rifle. They work better in .38 special though. You get length issues with .357.

38Norma.jpg

yeah wish i lived a little closer so you could teach me how to cast i plan on doing it soon

Guest Lester Weevils

Caster's picture brings up a good point, which I'm sure you know already-- You probably don't want to use pointy-tipped bullets in the lever gun. Maybe the odds of a pointy tip bullet setting off the magazine are low, but there's no sense tempting nature.

Caster's picture brings up a good point, which I'm sure you know already-- You probably don't want to use pointy-tipped bullets in the lever gun. Maybe the odds of a pointy tip bullet setting off the magazine are low, but there's no sense tempting nature.

yeah i was told round and flat nosed worked best

The ONLY exception to flat/round nose bullets are going to be Hornady's flex tip leverevolution. Even with the plastic point of a ballistic tip, it ain't worth the gamble plus, you'd deform the plastic tip most likely rendering it's benefit moot.

TN Outlaw, DO NOT hesitate to ask me anything when you get started casting. If I don't know, I'll find out. I'm no expert, but it is what I do for a hobby. go over to our social group for reloading and join. I have a few posts there that might help you get started.

The ONLY exception to flat/round nose bullets are going to be Hornady's flex tip leverevolution. Even with the plastic point of a ballistic tip, it ain't worth the gamble plus, you'd deform the plastic tip most likely rendering it's benefit moot.

TN Outlaw, DO NOT hesitate to ask me anything when you get started casting. If I don't know, I'll find out. I'm no expert, but it is what I do for a hobby. go over to our social group for reloading and join. I have a few posts there that might help you get started.

Ok thanks i Appreciate it!!
Guest Lester Weevils

Admittedly round nose bullets are fine from what folks say. I'm a belt-and-suspenders worry wart and don't like the idea that a round nose is in contact with the primer of the bullet ahead of it in the magazine. Am not trying to tell others what to think or do. Just explaining a personal feeling about it. Maybe the odds of a round-nose setting off a primer are vanishingly remote and has never happened in all of history, but on the other hand a round nose bullet IS touching the primer.

In .357 have been using plated soft-lead Rainier hollow points (for many years), and also a bunch of semi-jacket hollow point, and semi-jacket flat point. All 158gn bullets just because for no particular reason. Too lazy to cast lead. Not advising that those are better than other choices, just reporting what I use.

Flat points and hollow points make easier to see holes in the paper. And coincidentally the flat points and hollow points I use, have a big enough front diameter that it is impossible that a bullet could touch a primer, unless it is a "high primer". As long as the primer sits a little below-flush, there just ain't no way for those bullets to touch the primer.

I believe there may be some hollow point designs with a small enough front diameter to touch a primer. Not saying those would be unsafe in any way. Just saying I like it better if it is impossible to touch the primer. :)

Admittedly round nose bullets are fine from what folks say. I'm a belt-and-suspenders worry wart and don't like the idea that a round nose is in contact with the primer of the bullet ahead of it in the magazine. Am not trying to tell others what to think or do. Just explaining a personal feeling about it. Maybe the odds of a round-nose setting off a primer are vanishingly remote and has never happened in all of history, but on the other hand a round nose bullet IS touching the primer.

In .357 have been using plated soft-lead Rainier hollow points (for many years), and also a bunch of semi-jacket hollow point, and semi-jacket flat point. All 158gn bullets just because for no particular reason. Too lazy to cast lead. Not advising that those are better than other choices, just reporting what I use.

Flat points and hollow points make easier to see holes in the paper. And coincidentally the flat points and hollow points I use, have a big enough front diameter that it is impossible that a bullet could touch a primer, unless it is a "high primer". As long as the primer sits a little below-flush, there just ain't no way for those bullets to touch the primer.

I believe there may be some hollow point designs with a small enough front diameter to touch a primer. Not saying those would be unsafe in any way. Just saying I like it better if it is impossible to touch the primer. :)

Good info thanks

Edited by TN Outlaw