Concealed carry for woman

Guest jeannen

Guest jeannen

I obtained by carry permit a few months ago and am really not comfortable with the idea of carrying openly. I was thinking of getting an in the waist holster, to carry in a concealed manner, but wondered how other women feel about this type of holster. I'm about 5'5" but a little short-waisted, and I'm concerned about being gouged whenever I move. My personal weapon is a Springfield Armory XDM 9mm.

thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this will help but here's something.

[media=]

[/media]

As a skinny guy, with my IWB holster, I never get gouged by it but it's sometimes a bit tedious to find that perfect "spot" on my side.

Here's a couple more.

Edited by wcsc12

XDm 9 (3.8, 4.5??) also service size or compact?

I can't say I have heard many specific female reviews, but over at Springfield Forum (XDTalk.com), pretty much everybody recommends the CrossBreed SuperTuck for the Xd's for IWB (inside waist band) carry.

or try a good tight fitting Pancake holster for OWB. It will still ride high and tight to your body and will easily conceal when your shirt hangs over it.

Guest jeannen

My apologies. I should have said, it's the XDM 9MM 3.8", service size. I've seen a lot of raves on the supertuck, but it looks so bulky, with two belt clips. Maybe I should visit a gunshow and see if I can find on to try on in person before buying.

that is wise, buying without seeing it leads to a pile of holsters.

My wife thought she would hate IWB, but now loves it. There appears to be a type with some sort of offset to drop the gun lower if you prefer, and that is what my wife finally decided upon.

My apologies. I should have said, it's the XDM 9MM 3.8", service size. I've seen a lot of raves on the supertuck, but it looks so bulky, with two belt clips. Maybe I should visit a gunshow and see if I can find on to try on in person before buying.

If you're ever near Knoxville, you can try out my IWB holsters. I have a Supertuck, Advance Holster (supertuck clone) and my friend has a slimmer profile one and I'll get the name of his today. It's really slime compared to either of mine and he seems to love it.

Don't think I've ever seen a crossbreed at a show; prettty sure they are all custom made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though. I carry a springfield xd .40 compact and use a crossbreed supertuck IWB and love it. Not a woman's opinion but I did try several others; hated to spend a bunch of money on something I couldn't try on but it was well worth it! Also, crossbreed's customer service is awesome!

My wife is currently checking out a bunch of the options from Looper Law Enforcement(the people that make the flashbang holster). Lots of women specific holsters there. http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/

Not a woman, but I have bought a few holsters, but always go back to my supertuck. With the clips so far apart it really carries the load of the gun better than any other holster I have tried. You can get their seconds or blems for $35-$50. http://www.crossbree...firearm&order=1

Don't think I've ever seen a crossbreed at a show; prettty sure they are all custom made. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

A local pawn shop her keeps a few in stock. Or atleast they used to, thats where I got mine

Edited by Superman

I vote Supertuck, hands down.......and I'm a woman. They are absolutely the most comfortable IWB that I've ever tried (and I've tried a LOT). And their customer service is what you would like all companies to mirror: Top notch. I sent a well worn one back that was beginning to crack on the corners of the kydex. I expected them to replace the kydex and send me back the same old ugly and worn leather backing....I got a brand new holster. Many times, you can find new and used Supertucks for sale on eBay. I've bought three on there.

Guest jeannen

Thanks very much for the feedback and the videos. Watching them was very helpful. I suspect I'm going to end up with a supertuck.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest vca2004

There are many holster manufacturer's that make kydex/leather holsters such as the Supertuck. I have a Theis Tuckable holster, same as a Supertuck, great quality, and the guy who makes them is very nice and helpful. Had mine made within the promised timeline (2-3 weeks as he's a one-man operation) and gave plenty of tips.Theis holsters come at a lower price than Supertucks, too.

Also, the holster is actually much smaller than it looks in the pictures. I thought it would be this giant leather backing, but was surprised how compact it is (for your reference, I have a Sig P250 subcompact).

You might consider a kholster brand. I understand they have a free period and will return your money with no questions asked if you do not like it. I do not have any of those type holsters, but the next IWB tuckable holster I buy will have "J" hooks on it. You might consider that as well.

I carry concealed but not inside the waist..I dont ever have any problems with a regular holster. I cant get myself to tuck in into my pants for some reason.. I alwasy think I am going to shot one of my ovaries or something..lol..I know its silly but its in my head....and even when I ride my horse.. its on teh outside but under a shirt.

Outpost in Christiana used to carry the Comp-tac Minatour, which I think is a little more comfortable to the CBST in some circumstances. I haven't been in there in a year or so, but the did have a great selection last time I was there.

As previously stated, DT usually has a good selection of Crossbreeds, if he can get them. I don't think you can go wrong with either option.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest MiniGunGal

You are getting a lot of good advice - that's always the good thing!  I have been carrying concealed for at least 10 years, and I'm small - 5'6" and 105-110.  i don't care for inside the waist, it's too constricting for me, especially because I will carry such a wide variety of weapons.  My FAVORITE and only carry is Small Of the Back (SOB).  

Now MANY people will say not to carry SOB because if you're pushed down, your weapon can hurt your back.  Well, I carry mine just to the right of my spine (I'm right handed).  You'll also hear that SOB is a slow draw (as compared to on the hip).  I was in a tactical training class one weekend, and I had my weapon drawn and fired in ..... ready?..... .02 seconds - I was timed three times.  But the main point is conceal-ability.  I can carry as small as a Walther PPK to a full size 1911, or Baretta 9mm, Glock 21 (.45 cal), anything, any size, without printing.

We all know we wear overshirts most of the time anyway, so just pick your weapon size to go with the season!  (Hey, we're women - accessorize!).  I'll carry my Sig 229 in the summer because it's smaller and I'm wearing lighter clothes, but in the winter when I'm wearing sweatshirts and a heavy coat, I'll carry my Kimber 1911, or my Glock 33 (.357 sig).  Those are my two favorite winter primary carries.

Galco makes the most incredible leather in the world, and of course you'll pay for it.  Try e-bay, or just remember, $100 for something to hold the weapon that will save your life isn't really a large investment!

OH YEAH, the most questions I get from both men and women I recommend the SOB holster are:

A.  Is it easy to reach?  Well girls - we have the advantage!!!!  It's easier for us to reach around to our backs than it is for men.  That makes up for the fact that if we wanted to wear a holster on our hip it's NOT SO COMFORTABLE because of those things we have called HIPS!  The weapon tends to tilt into our ribs and HURT!  With the SOB, it lays flat against your back!

B.  Does it hurt laying against your back?  NOT AT ALL!  As I said, i set mine so the grip is just to the right of my spine and it is very easy to reach, very easy to sit down, and doesn't print at all.

C.  What about riding in the car???  I have ridden from Knoxville, TN to Wilmington, NC (12 hour ride) and had my Kimber 1911 on the entire time.  No problems at all.  Actually it's almost like the lumbar support they put in the fancy cars!!!

I really hope that helps!?!?  I truly have sold SOB holsters to men and women, and once they try them, they swear by them and will never use another holster again (unless it's an ankle holster for a backup piece!!!).  If you have any questions, PM me and I'll try to give you any other info I have!?!!

MiniGunGal

P.S.  THE ABOVE HIGHLIGHTED TEXT IS INCORRECT - MY APOLOGIES - NO MISREPRESENTATION INTENDED!  AS POINTED OUT IN NEXT POST BY LARGERHEAD (THANK YOU AGAIN ROBERT for calling  :bs: )!!!!  Either my memory is fading in my favor   :confused:   or I was given bad info   :eek:   . Either way - I'm terribly sorry for making it sound like I'm something I'm not - Please forgive!!!   :blush:    

MiniGunGal 

Edited by MiniGunGal

You are getting a lot of good advice - that's always the good thing!  I have been carrying concealed for at least 10 years, and I'm small - 5'6" and 105-110.  i don't care for inside the waist, it's too constricting for me, especially because I will carry such a wide variety of weapons.  My FAVORITE and only carry is Small Of the Back (SOB).  

Now MANY people will say not to carry SOB because if you're pushed down, your weapon can hurt your back.  Well, I carry mine just to the right of my spine (I'm right handed).  You'll also hear that SOB is a slow draw (as compared to on the hip).  I was in a tactical training class one weekend, and I had my weapon drawn and fired in ..... ready?..... .02 seconds - I was timed three times.  But the main point is conceal-ability.  I can carry as small as a Walther PPK to a full size 1911, or Baretta 9mm, Glock 21 (.45 cal), anything, any size, without printing.

We all know we wear overshirts most of the time anyway, so just pick your weapon size to go with the season!  (Hey, we're women - accessorize!).  I'll carry my Sig 229 in the summer because it's smaller and I'm wearing lighter clothes, but in the winter when I'm wearing sweatshirts and a heavy coat, I'll carry my Kimber 1911, or my Glock 33 (.357 sig).  Those are my two favorite winter primary carries.

Galco makes the most incredible leather in the world, and of course you'll pay for it.  Try e-bay, or just remember, $100 for something to hold the weapon that will save your life isn't really a large investment!

OH YEAH, the most questions I get from both men and women I recommend the SOB holster are:

A.  Is it easy to reach?  Well girls - we have the advantage!!!!  It's easier for us to reach around to our backs than it is for men.  That makes up for the fact that if we wanted to wear a holster on our hip it's NOT SO COMFORTABLE because of those things we have called HIPS!  The weapon tends to tilt into our ribs and HURT!  With the SOB, it lays flat against your back!

B.  Does it hurt laying against your back?  NOT AT ALL!  As I said, i set mine so the grip is just to the right of my spine and it is very easy to reach, very easy to sit down, and doesn't print at all.

C.  What about riding in the car???  I have ridden from Knoxville, TN to Wilmington, NC (12 hour ride) and had my Kimber 1911 on the entire time.  No problems at all.  Actually it's almost like the lumbar support they put in the fancy cars!!!

I really hope that helps!?!?  I truly have sold SOB holsters to men and women, and once they try them, they swear by them and will never use another holster again (unless it's an ankle holster for a backup piece!!!).  If you have any questions, PM me and I'll try to give you any other info I have!?!!

MiniGunGal

Are you sure about that time? .02 seconds? I only ask because the current world record is about ten times that much: .208 seconds. And I have seen the reigning, two-time IPSC world champion do it in about .7 seconds, or about thirty five times that much. Hell, the buzzer on most timers lasts much longer than that.

Guest MiniGunGal

Maybe I'm wrong... I HAVE slept since then - The timer could have been wrong - but that is what they told me - I thought it sounded wrong, but hey, made me feel good!  I'll take longer - I'm certainly not claiming to be anything special!!!  I'm just a red headed freckle faced Irish gal carrying to try to protect herself from the bad guys, and protect anyone else around me!!!

Thank you VERY MUCH for calling me out on that one!  I'd much rather be wrong and corrected than continue to be wrong and stupid!!!

Lord knows, there are many things in this arena I DON'T know and NEED to be set straight on!  

Thank you again, and I rescind my previous statement!!!

Notwithstanding, I DO still like SOB!

BTW - Guinness photo-4374.jpg?_r=0 is a FINE way to quench the thirst!!!   :cheers:   Happy Birthday to ME!!!!