trying to make my mind up

mudstud

I would love to have a model 29 smith and guess what I was just told about.A good

friend of mine just gave me a call and he has a model 629 with a six inch barrel.

Here is where I need help I can pick it up but will have to let my carry gun go and

the Smith will have to take its place for now till i pick something else up. Would not

be a big deal if I had not just swaped my back up in on a rifle.What do you guys

and girls think.

Like Smith wheel guns. Own several. Love shooting them. LIke the 29/629. But is the 6" going to be a carry gun for you? That's what I think you need to really look at if you don't have anything else as primary carry. How long will it take to get something else? Can you get this friend to hold it for you for a while? Give him a partial payment if the two of you are are close enough that each trust the other?

So many variables here. I'd say it really boils down to how badly do you want it? And are you willing to use it for carry? Or is that an issue? Just want it for house/range gun?

Don't mean to be confusing. I don't know that this is helping. But I did have a Lew Horton 629 for quite a while. Great gun, just didn't shoot it much so I sold it. Kinda regret that, but as much as I liked it, it was just not a "practical" gun for me.

But if it's what you want and like...go for it.

eh, 629 is a stainless steel gun. They're solid.

BUT a 6" N Frame is not worth a damn for concealed carry unless you wear one hell of a purse.

I love the 29's but one thing to remember is that it needs more Special shot through it than magnums. Much like the K frame .357's, the frame was never really meant to for the magnum loads. Lots of heavy loads through them will greatly shorten the life.

If you want a .44 Magnum for shooting mostly magnum, I'd suggest a Ruger Super Redhawk or Super Blackhawk. They'll handle the abuse a lot better.

But yeah, it's still very hard to beat the Model 29 for the perfect handgun role. A 4" gun will do anything you should reasonably ask of a handgun and do it well.

I have had SW 629's and Ruger Super Redhawk's, both are nice 44 magnums, but for mag shooting and hunting I too would go with a Ruger.

Sorry for causing more confusion, but I have traded 629's for Super Redhawks on several occasions. I currently have a SRH.

Good luck with your decision.

Here's my view on this, if you have a carry permit and a carry gun then you've made a decision to carry said handgun for the purposes of being legally armed. So why would you want to trade away your carry gun for a 6" N frame S&W 629 that you can find another copy of at another time? I doubt that this is a once in a lifetime deal so what's the hurry? My experence is that sometime's it's best to pass on deal's like this one.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with the Dave Ramsey advice: Save your money until you can afford to buy it.

To me it sounds like you are losing money with each 'trade'. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am. But I see a lot of people who buy a nice firearm, then decide they want something else and sell it (or trade it in) to buy the new one. They buy a pistol for $500, then trade it in for a $500 rifle, but have to put up $200 cash plus their trade-in. Later, they decide they want a shotgun for $500, and again, get $300 trade-in on the rifle and have to put up $200 more in cash. At this point, they have spent $900 and only have one $500 shotgun. Not to mention they have also paid for three TICS checks ($30) and given the State $85.50 in sales tax. This makes no sense whatsoever.

If you don't have the cash to buy something, you cannot afford it.

• Like 3

mud:_______________

I carried a 629 in a maxpedition purse for a time (...that's the only way ya can carry it...). It was a four incher. An "N" frame smith, great as it is, simply aint a consealed carry gun. Its a field carry gun that ya can only cary owb or shoulderholster. They are heavy, over 40 oz. Fourty ounces is 2 1/2 pounds.

As others have said, if ya want to go armed and have a consealable firearm, keep your present firearm and save up for an "N" frame smith or ruger redhawk.

leroy

• Like 1