Buying my first handgun, got a question.

Jesse

In 2 weeks I will have finally saved up enough cash for a Ruger p95. This is the fist gun I ever bought myself. My question is, I'm buying it online and having it shipped to my loacl pawn and gun. When exactly do they do the backgroud check? Will they do it before the online store ships it to my gun shop or do they do it when I pick it up? I wanted to know how this works before I order my gun. thanks.

You buy it, you tell the seller where to ship it too. You call the local store and tell them to expect it. The local store has to send a copy of their FFL to the shipper before they will ship.

When it comes in, you go to the local store, pay for your background and transfer fee and fill out the papers.

Very rarely does it come out cheaper buying online, shipping and transfer fees than just buying local.

The point you are trying to get too though, if you bomb the background check, you have to pay shipping back, and a restocking fee. Another reason to buy local if that is a concern.

Guest bkelm18

I dont where where I'd find a new p95 around here locally.

and my background is prob cleaner than the people doing the checks lol. what kind of papers do you have to fill out?

Just the Form 4473. It's a transaction record for the dealer. It asks a bunch of questions to see if you're legally able to buy the gun. Then they run the background check.

Nothing wrong with supporting your local gun shop.......but 'rarely' can I buy cheaper locally.

I found Academy's prices to be very competitive. Throw in the fact that Bill's is a hop, skip and a jump away in Maryville and he will order and price competitively, I found Knoxville to be quite pleasant.

Now, where I live now, I will admit to a bit of being spoiled. The local shop matches Bud's online prices, since Bud's is just a hop, skip and a jump away, he kinda has to in order to remain competitive.

It was my experience that unless I was building it was cheaper even with taxes (which technically you are supposed to pay even if you order online...) to buy local than to have it shipped in. The glaring difference came down to stripped lowers, which I could have shipped and transferred for a lot less than buying local. But that was the only case.

To the OP:

Now, as for what is in Murfreesboro, I don't have a clue. However, I am sure that any shop worth it's salt will be able to order from their supplier and get a P95 in stock.

The 4473 is the paper you have to fill out, simple questions, all your info. They run your check and you are good to go. Takes ten minutes. Went through it earlier today. I was amused that it has two sections now for race, but that is covered elsewhere on the site.

Nothing wrong with supporting your local gun shop.......but 'rarely' can I buy cheaper locally.

I find this to be the case for me as well.

Now there are exceptions but you will not find a local store that will bea the prices on 100% of what they stock. You might find a Ruger cheaper at a local store than you can get online. But the next local store might have Smith's cheaper.

Also, stuff purchased online or out of state is not tax exempt. A lot of people do not realize this but there is a "Use Tax" on all out of state purchases. You are required by law to pay that "Use Tax" which happens to be the same as out high sales tax. So if you are buying online and had to pay the "Use Tax" then it would be a lot cheaper to buy local. It is just a lot of people either do not know or do not care.

Dolomite

Its always cheaper for me to buy online it seems.

10 years ago it was for me. I used to buy everything online since it seemed all my LGS were waaay overpriced. There weren't many gun stores in the area, so they get to price gouge. This got me in the habit of always buying online and having it shipped. Back then $10 transfers were the norm anyway. Now I can't find transfer fees at a decent price locally. I have to drive nearly an hour to get an FFL that will do it. Some of them locally flat refuse to do transfers from a private seller to private seller. Anymore I don't buy online (out of state) unless it is something specific I'm looking for or the deal is just that good.

This forced me back into my LGSs to browse and found that many of the items were priced fairly (except for one local price gouger). My last gun purchase at a LGS was an impulse buy after going in looking for a holster. The deal they had was too good to pass up. Just wish we didn't have such an astronomical sales tax. That's one of the reasons that keeps me coming back to the classifieds here. It seems like (for new purchases) gun stores are being forced to be more competitve because of so many online retailers, which is good for us consumers. While they might not be turning as great a profit on individual purchases, it gets people in the door and increases their sales quantity. For used purchases it still seems as if they are overpriced though. I'm not a gun snob, and I'll gladly purchase a gently used firearm, but not when I can get it 20% cheaper from a local classified.

In 2 weeks I will have finally saved up enough cash for a Ruger p95. This is the fist gun I ever bought myself. My question is, I'm buying it online and having it shipped to my loacl pawn and gun. When exactly do they do the backgroud check? Will they do it before the online store ships it to my gun shop or do they do it when I pick it up? I wanted to know how this works before I order my gun. thanks.

surprised you cant find a ruger 9MM at your local shop......

It has to be the ruger p95 stainless with the 15 round mag and carrying case. Buds has it online for $339.

They also use a perferd FFL 5 miles from my house. So i wouldnt have to call around and find someone to do it. I just go pick it up.

Not a bad price, what does the preferred FFL charge for a transfer? $35? How much is shipping?

I still call the FFL when I order something to let them know it is coming, and how to contact me when they get it.

The transfer fee depends on the ffl. My local shop chargers $30. Buds shipping is free. They say they email you every step of the way , even when its there to pick up.

Guest bkelm18

The transfer fee depends on the ffl. My local shop chargers $30. Buds shipping is free. They say they email you every step of the way , even when its there to pick up.

I don't remember them ever notifying me it was ready for pick up, and I've ordered a ton of guns from them.

Edited by bkelm18

I know, but you said that they have a preferred FFL five miles from your house, what is their transfer fee if you use them?

Just for fun, ask you local shop how much it would cost to have them order it. Seriously, tell them upfront that you are thinking of buying from Buds, and Buds wants $339 for it. Give them the chance to win your business.

I have a local shop across the street from me. I live an hour away from Bud's. I could order anything and drive down and pick it up. I walked into my local dealer's shop, asked him what he would get for what I wanted, and he beat Bud's price by ten bucks, just because I asked him. He made the deal with me then, anything I wanted, he would beat Bud's by $10. I don't bother shopping anywhere else.

They also use a perferd FFL 5 miles from my house. So i wouldnt have to call around and find someone to do it. I just go pick it up.

Who in Murfreesboro is charging $30 total for a transfer?

I’ve ordered several guns from Buds and they have been at my dealers in 3 days. They will send you emails, but you should let the dealer know prior to the gun getting to them. I had already picked up one gun when I got an email that it had shipped. :)

Just got off the phone with local shop. Said it was $25 for the fees including background check. And they deal with buds every day he said. Its a pawn and gun. Not sure if they would find what I want for less.

Just got off the phone with local shop. Said it was $25 for the fees including background check. And they deal with buds every day he said. Its a pawn and gun. Not sure if they would find what I want for less.

$25 including the background check is a pretty good deal to be honest.
  • Like 2

Btw its a shop in smyrna. Kwick Kash Pawn. Its closer to me than On Target or something.

Okay, I didn’t think anyone in the Boro was doing even $30 total transfers that are on Bud’s list. $25 total is a good deal.

Guest Nikator

Very rarely does it come out cheaper buying online, shipping and transfer fees than just buying local.

Once you get to $500-$600 on a gun the shipping and $15-$20 transfer is less than the taxes.

Once you get to $500-$600 on a gun the shipping and $15-$20 transfer is less than the taxes.

I think a lot of folks are missing the point here.

You are still required to pay the taxes on an item you order off the internet and have shipped to you from out of state.

Go read the fine print on Amazon. They started sending notices to their customers this year notifying them of their purchases and how much they owe. Yes, this was a Tennessee vs. Amazon thing, but how long until all online purchases require the customer to pay the use taxes, because folks just don't.

Good luck finding a $20 transfer anymore, most shops are at $30, throw in $20 in shipping, and yup, you just met taxes on a $500 gun. Except for the fact that you still technically owe $50 in taxes on the item. Just because the seller didn't charge you the taxes before shipping the item doesn't mean you are magically exempt.

Now, sure, right now the government works on a faith system, sure, you don't have the man beating down your door telling you that he wants his $50 or he is going to put a lien against your car, home or business. However, like Amazon just started, how long before all the online retailers start charging the tax or be banned from selling in a certain state?

That is something to think about when everyone gets on a public forum and starts touting how they buy online to save themselves from a sales tax.