Any head to head comparisons between M&P Shield & Beretta Nano?

Guest motonut

It's really funny that people are always saying that the magazine capacity of this or that pistol isn't enough. They want or need 13 to 15 rounds. Please tell me where you pistoleros hang out that you need that many rounds to feel safe. As a civilian, you better have one heckuva excuse if you discharge that many rounds in a confrontation. Now if you were in combat in the sand box that would be a different deal altogether. Out of curosity, how many here have EVER been in a gunfight in civilian life? I'll be 70 in October and I've carried for years and still haven't been in a gunfight. If the Lord continues to bless me, things will stay that way!!!

It's really funny that people are always saying that the magazine capacity of this or that pistol isn't enough. They want or need 13 to 15 rounds. Please tell me where you pistoleros hang out that you need that many rounds to feel safe. As a civilian, you better have one heckuva excuse if you discharge that many rounds in a confrontation. Now if you were in combat in the sand box that would be a different deal altogether. Out of curosity, how many here have EVER been in a gunfight in civilian life? I'll be 70 in October and I've carried for years and still haven't been in a gunfight. If the Lord continues to bless me, things will stay that way!!!

I was wondering about all of the civilian gunfights that I have been in since I started carrying two decades ago. You are right. I have not been in one. With that in mind I holstered my M&P Shield and departed for work this morning.

Well, then, why carry a gun at all? After all, the chances are extremely low that you will ever need it.

I have more comment.

I got to shoot a shield for the first time this week, and the trigger was acceptable, even borderline *good* !!!! Very impressed. Absolutely better than the nano --- which has a trigger like beretta worked hard to outdo kel tec and exceeded expectations at it. Neither one has bad recoil, I half expected more kick from the shield but it was not bad at all.

Having seen a lot of novice shooters the last couple of years at the indoor range i frequent, I would give the average person a 50% hit rate on a moving human at 20 feet. Given the poor accuracy I have witnessed, I would also put out there that it would take 2-3 shots per to stop the threat due to missing the fast stopping areas of the body (that and 99.9999 % of these people train on a target that puts the X ring in the stomach). Then we take into account the typical 2-man assault team, which is unfortunately not uncommon these days (and in enough cases, you get 3 attackers, more than 3 is exponentially unlikely). Doing that math, a typical person needs 5 or 6 shots per attacker. 3 attackers is looking at 15 rounds to cover the bulk of situations running those numbers.

Odds of having to draw your weapon are still slim. Odds of it being one attacker if you do, pretty good. But are you a gambler? There remains a small chance that you will be up against 2-3 thugs shooting up the local stop&go. If you want to risk that with a 5 shot revolver or a 2 shot derringer, have at it. For the record I have a 7 shot 380 and carry a spare mag, 13 total. And I hope to live as long as you without ever drawing my weapon: so far, so good, had the permit for over 10 years now and while I have pulled the gun quietly a couple of times, no one but me knew this and I did not need it after all. Here's to not having to shoot anyone ever!

Edited by Jonnin

I was wondering about all of the civilian gunfights that I have been in since I started carrying two decades ago. You are right. I have not been in one. With that in mind I holstered my M&P Shield and departed for work this morning.

Martin Riggs always carried 15+1 and he was doin' mag changes all the time!

The bad guy doesn't care how many rounds miss his target and hurt others. He doesn't care if he is sued because he hurts multiple people.

That's him, now for us. We are responsible for every single round we fire. If I hurt several innocent bystanders while trying to stop the threat from the bad guy, I will have to answer in court for those unintended injuries. You and I need to train to make EVERY shot count. We don't need to simply pull the trigger as fast as we can without worrying where the bullets go. Some cops do enough of that and they are supposed to be trained. A Memphis cop told me an interesting story years ago. He and his partner answered a call to a bank robbery. When they got there one of the cops chased the robber down an inside hallway of the building shooting at him and all the while the robber was running and shooting back at him. Thankfully the cops partner ran back to the squad and got a shotgun. He cut the robber off and he surrendered after seeing the shotgun. The cop chasing him with the pistol had emptied his duty weapon without hitting anyone and the robber had emptied his with the same result. Sadly the advent of the wondernine seems to have created a situation where marksmanship doesn't seem as important as it once did. A cop carryinga 5 or 6 shot revolver didn't shoot as recklessly as he didn't want to be caught with an empty gun.

If you teach a kid to deer hunt with a semiautomatic rifle he tends to shoot until the deer drops. If you teach him with a bolt action rifle he learns to make each shot count. The first few deer my oldest son killed were shot 3 or more times. When I examined the deer, it was clear that each shot had been a kill shot, he simply hadn't given the deer time to fall. We can legally kill a deer. In self defense confrontations with humans, the rules change. We can legally shoot to defend ourselves, but we must quit shooting when the threat ends. We can't legally execute the bad guy. A Shield with a spare mag should be more than adequate. We are required to use common sense even though it isn't common. If I go out of my way to find a fight by going places I know I shouldn't go and have no real reason to be there and end up in a gunfight, that's my fault. I'm not racist but know that as a white man there are places in Memphis I shouldn't go very late at night, in fact black cops don't want to go some of those places at certain times of night either. If we use our God given intelligence and stay away from places we know we shouldn't go to, our risk for a confrontation greately decrease. It is still possible to end up in a pickle when all due caution has been observed, therefore I chose to get a carry permit and I carry.

Martin Riggs always carried 15+1 and he was doin' mag changes all the time!

Thats funny! Did you really go to "Lethal Weapon" or am I missing some precedent setting 2A legal battle?

Edited by LINKS2K

-- "A Shield with a spare mag should be more than adequate." 100% agree. Exactly what I was trying to say. Without the spare, its a small but calculated risk, one I personally would not take.

I also agree that training and hitting your target are important. But from observation, I still say that 75% of permit holders would need 15 shots to down 3 attackers. They need more practice, absolutely --- but they are not getting the practice and training, so the round count becomes the crutch to solve that problem, right or wrong (mostly wrong). Its a problem, and one that is here to stay unfortunately.

Thats funny! Did you really go to "Lethal Weapon" or am I missing some precedent setting 2A legal battle?

I go straight to Lethal Weapon any time I need life advice.... WWMRD?

But seriously, I'm glad that someone has stepped in to make me feel better about using my M1817 flintlock pistol as my EDC and point out that you "high cap" folks are just a danger to those around you. Who needs more than one round anyway? Whew!

Edit: That was supposed to be a joke, by the way.............................................................................................................. Tough crowd ...............................vvv

Edited by TMF 18B
  • Like 1

I prefer Rigg's chief or sarge or whatever he was called. Because I love his motto. "I dont give a F". Thats why I don't have an ulcer....

Edit: WWMRD? Get on with Renee Russo, that is what he would do. Thats a winner, she is one of my favorite hollywood babes.

Edited by Jonnin

I go straight to Lethal Weapon any time I need life advice.... WWMRD?

But seriously, I'm glad that someone has stepped in to make me feel better about using my M1817 flintlock pistol as my EDC and point out that you "high cap" folks are just a danger to those around you. Who needs more than one round anyway? Whew!

If you pull out that flintlock pistol the bad guys will be too confused to try and rob you. They will think that you are crazier than they are.

Edited by LINKS2K

I prefer Rigg's chief or sarge or whatever he was called. Because I love his motto. "I dont give a F". Thats why I don't have an ulcer....

Edit: WWMRD? Get on with Renee Russo, that is what he would do. Thats a winner, she is one of my favorite hollywood babes.

I also once shared an unhealthy obsession for Ms. Russo in the '90s.

-- "A Shield with a spare mag should be more than adequate." 100% agree. Exactly what I was trying to say. Without the spare, its a small but calculated risk, one I personally would not take.

I also agree that training and hitting your target are important. But from observation, I still say that 75% of permit holders would need 15 shots to down 3 attackers. They need more practice, absolutely --- but they are not getting the practice and training, so the round count becomes the crutch to solve that problem, right or wrong (mostly wrong). Its a problem, and one that is here to stay unfortunately.

75%? I'd say more like 95% (which mostly likely includes me).

.... WWMRD? ....

:rofl: That's funny right there! I'll have to remember that....

I also once shared an unhealthy obsession for Ms. Russo in the '90s.

mmmmm..... The Thomas Crown Affair is one of my favorite movies for more than the excellent plot.

I really like the nano. Have shot roughly 100 rounds through it so far. Works great as a pocket gun for me. I've held the Shield and just didn't care for it when compared to the nano. The nano feels more 'glockish' to me which I like.

I saw a Shield in Lebanon gun shop last week (not sure if it was 9mm or .40)